PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Dobson get cut when LaFell returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rather than break this down by traditional positions, here is a list of players the Patriots use in the passing game:

Rob Gronkowski
Julian Edelman
Brandon LaFell
Danny Amendola
Dion Lewis
Scott Chandler
Keshawn Martin
Aaron Dobson

Potentially Capable Backups

James White
Matthew Slater

That is a lot of capable players catching passes from Brady. With Martin emerging as a capable, reliable target and LaFell returning, will Dobson get cut? He might be WR5 behind Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, and Martin, with Gronk and Lewis being used as WR as well. I think it's unlikely the cut comes from another area of the roster, though it's possible.

Many might argue Chandler isn't safe either because his lack of impressiveness so far, but the Patriots need him as an insurance policy. He is the only other TE on the roster who can catch passes and is a good red zone threat because of his size.

No. Not sure what's going on with Slater getting snaps over him though.

I suspect that one of the ~10,000 DLs or safeties the Pats are currently carrying will get his walking papers.

I'm always optimistic about Dobson — but I'm pretty sure I saw Brady's heart glow a little when Martin made that catch yesterday.
That was a big time catch though. I was pleasantly surprised. For him to be getting reps over Dobson is all you need to know. I think Dobson is DUN just like Fletcher. Only on the squad in case there is an injury in the near future.

I hope not. I was thinking yesterday's inactive was just gameplan dictated; the short, quick game being essential and longer developing plays that are more Dobson's forte off the card. But with the return of LaFell and what seems to be the emergence of Martin they're actually pretty clogged up at WR.

Slater only got one snap on offense yesterday, and Dobson was inactive, so I wouldn't quite classify it as him getting snaps over Dobson. And Slater is always going to be active because of his contributions on ST.

Just dissapointing thus far. We need that outside production to keep defenses on their toes.

1 snap in a game where Dobson wasn't active isn't really getting snaps over him. You see the Slater play yesterday once or twice a season.

I was thinking yesterday's inactive was just gameplan dictated;

According to Zolak he was told Dobson may have had a case of the drops during practice.

Also Martin cemented his leap over Dobson when he made a good catch on 3rd and 2 for 16 yards on the drive that Edelman scored the TD.

@PP_Rich_Hill: The Patriots brought Brandon King up from the practice squad, and he ranked 3rd on the team with 20 ST snaps, behind Freeny, Ebner (22).

Tavon Wilson would be getting the axe IMO. Cutting him would also free up 700-800k of cap I think which would help for a potential mid season trade. King looked pretty good on STs.

According to Zolak he was told Dobson may have had a case of the drops during practice.

Also Martin cemented his leap over Dobson when he made a good catch on 3rd and 2 for 16 yards on the drive that Edelman scored the TD.
If so then Dobson needs to buy a bunch of juggs machines and set them up around his house to play Kato to his Pink Panther. Walk in the front door and juggs fires one at him. Step into the garage, another. Out to the patio, another.

Please Bill no more drafting project WRs from average schools. Draft highly Productive, Proven, wide receivers from big schools whom produced against elite defensive backs in college.

I don't think it would be Dobson, I think he makes it through at least one more year. I'm thinking Tavon or a D-lineman.

I think he is done. There is no ambition. He was hurt last year and if he wanted to be a good wr he would have spent that time perfecting all his routes and he would have worked on catching the ball better. The Ball Martin caught is the type of ball Dobson either double catches or drops.

Amendola has a salary cap hit next year of 6.8 million. The Patriots might hold on to Dobson as insurance
if they do not restructure Amendola again.

I'm really liking the Martin pick up. It looks like BB the genius picked up a player that can contribute for basically nothing. IN BILL We TRUST

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes