PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Dan Koppen Want A Huge Payday? "I gotta do what’s best for my family."

Status
Not open for further replies.
andy, I know you live to spam every topic with argument, but there is not one post I have seen in here saying he should turn down money.

you are having an argument with some voice inside your own head.

Funny that this voice inside my head keeps typing comments under someone elses user ID for me to copy and respond to.

The point was HE WAS ASKED. Are you suggesting he is wrong to put what is best for his family first?

This is an excuse athletes use to justify their extraordinary income to members of the public, especially fans.

Unless he was profligate, Dan Koppen will never have to work again after he retires, no matter what he makes next year. It is unlikely that he will spend all he earns. In what way is his decision "doing what is best for his family?"

I don't really want to pick on Koppen because many athletes use this excuse. But if you are going to talk about it in public, have the decency to tell the truth - "I want to make as much money as possible."

The point of your post was obvious. It's just that it was ridiculous class bashing.

I didn't realize this was a political discussion. I wasn't trying to make it one. That's your apparent aim, not mine.

This is an excuse athletes use to justify their extraordinary income to members of the public, especially fans.
He was asked what his decision is based on. I think it is very reasonable to believe that he will make his decision based upon what is best for his family, and not credible to assume he has other motives, but decided to make up that his family is at the heart of his decision in order to forge a propaganda campaign.

Unless he was profligate, Dan Koppen will never have to work again after he retires, no matter what he makes next year. It is unlikely that he will spend all he earns. In what way is his decision "doing what is best for his family?"
Perhaps he wishes to have his family live a luxuorious lifestyle. Or maybe he wants to ensure his children will be set for life given the chance that he could suffer severe health issues, like his teammate Ted Johnson, at an early age.
Maybe he just wants to have an extra few mill laying around to give his family a nicer house to live in. Is there something wrong with that?

I don't really want to pick on Koppen because many athletes use this excuse. But if you are going to talk about it in public, have the decency to tell the truth - "I want to make as much money as possible."
That isn't what he said. In fact responding to whether he would stay where he has roots, or relocate for money, he simply said he would do what is best for his family. That may very well mean taking less because staying put is better for his family.
I get that you are angry that athletes are wealthier than you, but you look moronic to act as if them wanting to be paid more money rather than less money is some type of character flaw.

I didn't realize this was a political discussion. I wasn't trying to make it one. That's your apparent aim, not mine.

When your gripe is because he's a person making money, and you bring in "the vast majority of people earn a fraction of the amount he earns", That's class bashing. Whether you call my pointing that out "political" or not is irrelevant.

Funny that this voice inside my head keeps typing comments under someone elses user ID for me to copy and respond to.

ok, go ahead and copy/paste them for us.

I'd like to see the ones that say he should turn down money, as you claim.

ok, go ahead and copy/paste them for us.

I'd like to see the ones that say he should turn down money, as you claim.

That is what YOU said. I am discussing the posts being written. Most of those are critical of him.

Blows my mind how certain threads on this forum become so long.

Last edited:
The Pats should go on and let Koppen do what's supposedly 'best for' his family. They don't need him. They should re-sign Connelly and go after Nicks, hopefully if the Saints don't tag him.

Last edited:
Its all relative. TO made 80 mill and he is broke. If we assume Koppen saved his money, then why wouldn't it be better to have more to provide a better lifestyle, to make the family money provide for future generations, or just to be able to buy a few million more worth of things?
I don't understand why someone has to 'want for things' to justify maximizing their finances.

Thank you for telling us what it is OK for Dan Koppen to feel.
His comments were that he has to do what is best for his family. That could mean taking less to stay, it could mean amassing as much money as possible to make their lives easier if he sustains medical issues in his 40s because of the violent nature of the game.
At what point did he claim it was selfless? He simply stated the parameters of his decision making process WHEN HE WAS ASKED

So. Are you saying there is something wrong with wanting those luxuires?

His career is almost over. This contract will likely be his last. Are you seriously saying you would expect his outlook to be that he has a lot of money so he shouldn't worry about more because he can tighten the belt and reduce his lifestyle when he has to retire? Very nice of you to decide what lifestyle Dan Koppen should choose for his family.

Very interesting perspectives all around, Andy, albeit unnecessarily snarky on your behalf in the process of bringing a few of your own embellishments to what I wrote. I guess we're just not in the same universe on what money "means" in terms of having many millions at one's disposal, living luxuriously, and maximizing worldly excess.

This same values-based argument gets rehashed on a semi-annual basis here whenever contracts are discussed. I'm always amazed at how some people think. One thing you're dead-on about: it's all relative.

You do understand they make a lot more of it, right? Not need, but rather, make.

You do understand that mentioning his family's needs is a public relations way to justify whatever gets him the most money, right? Otherwise why bother? That was the point of my post, if that happened to be unclear.

Your "POINT" is way off base. That is the problem. You clearly didn't read the article so you don't understand what was said by Koppen. He didn't mention "his family needs". What he said was that he has to do what is best for his family. And there is a HUGE difference between the two.

As I mentioned, doing what is best for your family doesn't necessarily mean that he wants more money. On the contrary. Doing what is best means that he's not going to pack up and move from New England if the best offer he gets outside of New England is only a few hundred K more. It means that it would take substantially more to get him to move.

Why is it that so many people automatically think that ALL the players in the NFL are money grubbing scumbags? Seriously. These people are human beings and have the same sorts of decisions that others have. Let's stop making more out of this than it really is..

None of us know a player's financial status. A player could have locked up and lost their nest egg in bad investments or spent it on living well, given it away to relatives or to charities in need. Any combination. Who knows? Remember nearly half of the millions Koppen has earned went in state and federal taxes taxed at ordinary income rates.

I think DaBruinz (wonder if he's really Tim Thomas?) is correct and if (unlikely as it may be) Kops gets an offer from the Pats that's within multiple 6 figures of another team's total offer, he'll stay. I do think that the Pats will "value" him substantively less than one of 31 other teams who see the vet as filling a critically needed void however. Let me be the first to thank him for his service and wish him well.

Last edited:
None of us know a player's financial status. A player could have locked up and lost their nest egg in bad investments or spent it on living well, given it away to relatives or to charities in need. Any combination. Who knows? Remember nearly half of the millions Koppen has earned went in state and federal taxes taxed at ordinary income rates.

I think DaBruinz (wonder if he's really Tim Thomas?) is correct and if (unlikely as it may be) Kops gets an offer from the Pats that's within multiple 6 figures of another team's total offer, he'll stay. I do think that the Pats will "value" him substantively less than one of 31 other teams who see the vet as filling a critically needed void however. Let me be the first to thank him for his service and wish him well.

Can we pay Gronk less because he's single?

Isn't that where Wrecks found Cromartie?...trying to find a home for those kids of his whose names he couldn't remember?

Ugh. You know what this means right? It means that the Patriots will make a panic pick of a Center in the draft as they did when they picked Brace because they thought Wilfork was going to walk.

Ugh. You know what this means right? It means that the Patriots will make a panic pick of a Center in the draft as they did when they picked Brace because they thought Wilfork was going to walk.

After reading this I am convinced that, for the first time in recorded human history and after about 2,000,000 events to the contrary, the sun will not rise tomorrow.

None of us know a player's financial status. A player could have locked up and lost their nest egg in bad investments or spent it on living well, given it away to relatives or to charities in need. Any combination. Who knows?

Precisely. He could be funding a dozen orphanages, or have relatives with serious medical problems, or have a goal of a college trust fund for his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. An extra million can make a huge, huge difference with large scale financial goals/challenges.

Or, "what's right for my family" could simply mean not taking the kids out of their current schools on a whim.

Your "POINT" is way off base. That is the problem. You clearly didn't read the article so you don't understand what was said by Koppen. He didn't mention "his family needs". What he said was that he has to do what is best for his family. And there is a HUGE difference between the two.

As I mentioned, doing what is best for your family doesn't necessarily mean that he wants more money. On the contrary. Doing what is best means that he's not going to pack up and move from New England if the best offer he gets outside of New England is only a few hundred K more. It means that it would take substantially more to get him to move.

Why is it that so many people automatically think that ALL the players in the NFL are money grubbing scumbags? Seriously. These people are human beings and have the same sorts of decisions that others have. Let's stop making more out of this than it really is..

Yes, I read the article.

You can pretend that he is saying something else, but as Rapoport says, it sounds like he's leaving if he gets more money. That's because it is commonplace for players to use the family excuse to leave a place they have played for a long time because they want more money. You certainly know enough about the sports business to understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News