PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Dan Koppen Want A Huge Payday? "I gotta do what’s best for my family."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically saying he'll go where he is needed more. Which is probably where he gets paid more.

He already got his big pay day. Good luck to him however it turns out.

If we don't sign him, I see him maybe signing with the Colts.

Koppen will turn 33 when the regular season begins. If he is looking to maximize his earning potential from the game of football, then this upcoming contract will be his last opportunity to do so.

I know many fans would hope, and some fans expect him to accept less than what he could earn elsewhere based on 'how much does one person need', 'he'll have less chance of a chance to win a championship elsewhere', or even 'where's the loyalty' ways of thinking. Each individual has their own priorities; just like each of us would have considerations to make for a job offer that would pay us more money even though we've been comfortable with one company for several years.

Personally I am not going to begrudge him (or any other player) for leaving when he can make more elsewhere, or have more job security elsewhere; by the same token I am not going to begrudge the team for refusing to match any and every offer that any of their players receive.

Just for the record here are the details of Koppen's last contract, which in 2006 made him one of the top-five paid centers in the league, and included what was at that time the second highest signing bonus in league history for a center.

• $7.5 million signing bonus
  • 2006: $1.573 million base salary
  • 2007: $900,000 base salary; $107k workout bonus
  • 2008: $1.4 million base salary; $107k workout bonus
  • 2009: $2.4 million base salary; $107k workout bonus
  • 2010: $2.9 million base salary; $107k workout bonus; $500k roster bonus
  • 2011: $2.9 million base salary; $107k workout bonus; $500k roster bonus
  • Total value: 6 years, $21,108,000

The public talk could be simply part of typical negotiations, it could be a way of letting 31 other teams he'll be available, or something else. Perhaps Koppen sees the writing on the wall between his age, the effectiveness of Connolly, and the talk about drafting a center to replace him that has been going on for the last three years.

It would be nice if everyone could return so the team could have both quality starters as well as great depth, but things aren't that simple. What if, for example, he signs a two-year contract and then gets cut at the end of training camp? He's be kicking himself for not previously looking around if that were to happen.

He's simply saying he'll leave if that's where the job is. He probably sees the writing on the wall. McGinest, Vrabel and Andruzzi got millions from other teams when the Pats no longer wanted or needed their services. It's a leading article making something out of nothing from the gossip girl twit of the Herald.

I think he will do what he should do: get the best deal available for a 33yo O-lineman coming off a season on IR.

Brady trusts him, so I hope he can work that out with the Pats.

Otherwise, he should cut the best deal he can; if he's worth more to another team than he is to the Pats, well, "That is what it is."

(PS: *&^%$@ to the OP for making me break a cardinal rule and actually click on the Horrald's Web Page; I haven't spent a dime on the rag since Tomass' article and I try to avoid giving them clicks.)

Last edited:
Koppen will turn 33 when the regular season begins. If he is looking to maximize his earning potential from the game of football, then this upcoming contract will be his last opportunity to do so.

I know many fans would hope, and some fans expect him to accept less than what he could earn elsewhere based on 'how much does one person need', 'he'll have less chance of a chance to win a championship elsewhere', or even 'where's the loyalty' ways of thinking. Each individual has their own priorities; just like each of us would have considerations to make for a job offer that would pay us more money even though we've been comfortable with one company for several years.

Personally I am not going to begrudge him (or any other player) for leaving when he can make more elsewhere, or have more job security elsewhere; by the same token I am not going to begrudge the team for refusing to match any and every offer that any of their players receive.

Thanks for the data and agreed 100% on the substance.

Someone else will almost certainly offer him more than the Patriots are willing to, simply because the Pats have other options at center. As always, I don't begrudge him one bit if he chooses to take the money. Sounds like he also realizes that this is how it's going to unfold.

Last edited:
I hope we bring him back but if he wants crazy money, we'll be just fine without him.

I think he will do what he should do: get the best deal available for a 33yo O-lineman coming off a season on IR.

Brady trusts him, so I hope he can work that out with the Pats.

Otherwise, he should cut the best deal he can; if he's worth more to another team than he is to the Pats, well, "That is what it is."

(PS: *&^%$@ to the OP for making me break a cardinal rule and actually click on the Horrald's Web Page; I haven't spent a dime on the rag since Tomass' article and I try to avoid giving them clicks.)

I'm with you.

Koppen has every right to go where he can make more money for his family. The Pats have found a younger, bigger and more physical center. Koppen has the reputation for being one of the better OL field generals and his mind/experience is his greatest asset. I'd prefer they sign Connolly (who is also a FA) than Koppen at this point. Much appreciated for all he's done since he got here and I wish him the best.

Koppen's the team's best center. Hopefully, he'll be back.

these guys can shut the %*$# up about their families any time now.

People need to shut the %*$# up and blowing out of proportion what a player says.

Saying "I have to do what is best for my family" is not even remotely close to saying "I have to feed my family".

I have NO issue with Koppen saying he has to do what is best for his family. Every single person on this board would do the exact same thing. Anyone saying otherwise is a liar.

Right! We don't want family men. We just want athletes, say like Cromartie.

family men are fine, and everybody on this board is free to look out for their families --- just shut the #^*% up about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes