PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Dan Koppen Want A Huge Payday? "I gotta do what’s best for my family."

Status
Not open for further replies.
these guys can shut the %*$# up about their families any time now.

That is quite a bizarre perspective.

Do we retain both Connolly and Koppen ... Koppen is the better center and Connolly is more versatile ... I think we should retain both but I don't see either one worth more than @1.5 million/year.

family men are fine, and everybody on this board is free to look out for their families --- just shut the #^*% up about it.

You know. Maybe you should have actually read the article and seen exactly what was asked of Koppen. It would put perspective on it instead of you coming off like a total arse.

And, in all honesty, the OP was a total arse about it also.

The "family" comment was one of the last things Koppen mentioned. Him homing in on that shows that he didn't even really read the article. If he had, he'd know that Koppen talked about the entire process and that the "I have to do what's best for my family" wasn't the main point of what Koppen said.

if koppen needs to spout off to the press about wanting a fat contract let him just say he wants a big payday -- he doesn't need to hide behind his family.

If Belichick has that attitude, he can waste a 1st on a center and also have Wendell.

Both are worth considerably more than $1.5M to a team needing an experienced starting center. If he we judge that to be us, then we will sign one or both of them to lots more than $1.5M per year.

Do we retain both Connolly and Koppen ... Koppen is the better center and Connolly is more versatile ... I think we should retain both but I don't see either one worth more than @1.5 million/year.

i don't see the team keeping both koppen and connolly. i would prefer they go with the younger guy, provided the price is right

if koppen needs to spout off to the press about wanting a fat contract let him just say he wants a big payday -- he doesn't need to hide behind his family.

So you're not going to bother reading the story? You're just going to keep posting blind?

Nothing in that article mentions that he wants a big pay day. He talks about the business of football and the uncertainty/excitement of being a free agent. He clearly knows that the decision is as much the Patriots as his own.

He wasn't hiding behind his family in any way, shape or form.

Do yourself a favor and follow your own advice.

He should speak about his family, in very clear terms. He should say something like this:

"Hey, playing for the Patriots is a great gig for a pro football player. But if I can make $1M more playing somewhere else, it would be incredibly selfish of me not to take it. Really, that's a whole generation of grandkids and great grandkids that I can put through college. Or a dozen kids born into abject poverty that I can adopt and totally change the lives of. It would be incredibly selfish of me to deny that to those kids just because it is more fun for me to play for the Patriots than some other team. The fans who think anything different ought to just shut the #&#$* up."

Koppen has been the starting "field coordinator" on one of the most consistently fine offensive lines in the NFL for a few years. He's been an above average pass-blocker and a very good run-blocker (his early-season loss held BGE back a bit). His cap hit with the Pats for 2011 (including pro-rated signing bonus) was close to $4.5M. Even at age 33 coming off a broken ankle, there's a decent chance that some team will offer him something in that $4.5M/yr neighborhood. It may or may not be discounted slightly because of the injury, but he has no significant injury history other than that - no back problems AFAIK - and a break is probably viewed as easier to recover from than a high-sprain.

Connolly has proven that he's a very capable starting guard AND center, again, on one of the best OL in the league. He's been very solid in run-blocking at guard and pretty stout in pass-pro at both guard and center. His run-blocking from the center spot wasn't quite up to Koppen's level when he first took over, but improved significantly as the season wore on and as he worked through his own injuries. An offer from another team in that same $4.5M/yr range, or even substantially higher, would not be surprising to me at all.

I'd guess the Pats would keep one, but not both, given their free agent market value, and the younger, more versatile Connolly would seem the better choice. But neither seems likely to stick around for a mere $1.5M. Indeed, both are legitimately worth considerably more. Losing both would leave Brady and the offense dependent on Wendell, McDonald (possibly Donald Thomas, if he can snap) and, potentially, a rookie draftee at the keystone OL position. Seems doubtful at this point - especially with Brian Waters' intentions unresolved - that the Pats would let Connolly walk.

I understand that the Patriots have gotta do what’s best for them and I gotta do what’s best for my f**ily.

Indeed you do and if you do find a better deal, good luck and thanks for the years of steady, underrated service.

Seems doubtful at this point - especially with Brian Waters' intentions unresolved - that the Pats would let Connolly walk.

As Matt Light could tell Connolly. . . .

these guys can shut the %*$# up about their families any time now.

What the "%*$#" is wrong with saying that you have to do what's best for your family?

Last edited:
Right! We don't want family men. We just want athletes, say like Cromartie.

or guys who take loaded guns to clubs...or who kill dogs for sport...those kind of "athletes"...

family men are fine, and everybody on this board is free to look out for their families --- just shut the #^*% up about it.

ok. now i understand...we want guys who value their families but don't admit it...got it...

so, claiming you feel a sense of responsibility for the future economic well being of your dependent spouse and the children you brought into the world is "hiding behind" your family.

With all the stupid **** some of these guys come up with to say, this is really what eom has a problem with?

The funny thing is that the reporter sought out Koppen for an interview because of his contract status, not vice versa.

Right! We don't want family men. We just want athletes, say like Cromartie.

Well technically Cromartie is not a family man, he's actually a families man ... and he may be the one person other than Travis Henry that can arguably get away with using the 'I gotta' feed my family' - scratch that, families - line.

Well technically Cromartie is not a family man, he's actually a families man ... and he may be the one person other than Travis Henry that can arguably get away with using the 'I gotta' feed my family' - scratch that, families - line.

well said...and right along those lines, Plaxico Burress was in the "I gotta defend my family" camp and Michael Vick in the "I gotta get my family a puppy dog" group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back