PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone think expanding playoffs is a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micronin127

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Well, three games in and three stinkers. I can't imagine letting more teams in.

The advantage of having a bye has never seemed greater. Get healthy and avoid a meaningless opportunity to get your players hurt.

If the game quality was great then it's a good discussion but now? Hell no.

Despite these clunkers, the NFL playoffs are perfect as is.

The regular season should be 14 games and the pre-season 2 games but obviously that's never going to happen.

In reality, we'll have expanded playoffs AND expanded regular season, which will dilute both but make the owners richer.

There isn't enough good enough teams to make the playoffs in the first place.. Hell ****ing nooo. Keep it as is. No more regular season games and no extra play off teams.

No, the NFL actually has it right with 6 teams making it, and rewarding the top 2 with first round byes.

Having said that, I think HFA should be revisited and made like the NBA (meaning division winner is only guaranteed a playoff game, but the better record gets HFA meaning NYG would have HFA over GB under this scenario).

No, the NFL actually has it right with 6 teams making it, and rewarding the top 2 with first round byes.

Having said that, I think HFA should be revisited and made like the NBA (meaning division winner is only guaranteed a playoff game, but the better record gets HFA meaning NYG would have HFA over GB under this scenario).

Agreed. I remember a 7 win Seahawks team hosting a 11 win Saints team. That shouldn't happens. Team with better record should host.

I do not think the playoffs should be expanded. I think the regular season should be 18 games and the preseason cut to 2 games. That way every team in a division plays the same schedule and the preseason does not drag on for a month.

With Goodell's parity paradise in full swing, more playoff teams would mean more mediocrity.

I'll consider it, but only if we can eliminate Goodell first.

Perfect the way it is .... teams that almost made it really are not that good.

12 out of 32 teams make the playoffs every year 40% of the league gets in the playoffs...do we really want to see the 8-8 colts play the 7-9 bills ?

The advantage of having a bye has never seemed greater. Get healthy and avoid a meaningless opportunity to get your players hurt.
The main advantage to the bye is the "automatic first round win". Other sports used to have similar "bye" like in the NBA Playoffs. Not getting injured and "resting" are secondary benefits to the automatic advancing in a single elimination tournament. That is why I always go nuts when some people talk about the "disadvantage" of not staying on a roll or whatever by actually having a bye. The bye is statistically very important for getting to the Super Bowl.. 1 verse 2 does not seem to matter as much at least statiscally.

I don't understand how even the 'tards in the NFL office could think that's a good idea with the turds we've seen thus far this postseason.

the bad games actually made the weekend depressing to me. Usually in the NFL playoffs it feels like so much is on the line for everybody and it just never felt this way this weekend. Maybe the Giants and GB will.

No there would be even more bad teams getting in.

I really like the playoffs the way they were. There is only one change I think should be made. I think the 4 division winners should NOT be guaranteed seeds 1-4. I think they should be guaranteed a playoff berth, but then win record/ranking should decide seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST