PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Aaron Rodgers Give You Pause Re: Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the Rogers excuses sound like the Manning ones when Marvin Harrison retired. "He only has one HOF receiver and one pro bowler now, how can anyone win with that!"

Nelson and Cobb are certainly good players and Brady has certainly dragged teams to the SB and championship game with less wideout talent.

Greg Jennings kind of threw Rodgers under the bus on FS1 today. Not gonna post it, look it up if you want to see it. Didn't Jennings and Rodgers have some sort of falling out a few years ago, where Jennings was taking shots at him after he went to another team?

Anyway, another thing I've read is that Rodgers is having major family problems, like not speaking to any of his siblings or his parents kinds of problems. Apparently one of Rodgers' brothers is (or was? I don't keep up) blatantly piggybacking off his brother's name for self gain and notoriety, and Aaron hasn't taken too kindly to it (found the details here) .

Greg Jennings kind of threw Rodgers under the bus on FS1 today. Not gonna post it, look it up if you want to see it. Didn't Jennings and Rodgers have some sort of falling out a few years ago, where Jennings was taking shots at him after he went to another team?

Anyway, another thing I've read is that Rodgers is having major family problems, like not speaking to any of his siblings or his parents kinds of problems. Apparently one of Rodgers' brothers is (or was? I don't keep up) blatantly piggybacking off his brother's name for self gain and notoriety, and Aaron hasn't taken too kindly to it (found the details here) .

I know nothing about Rodgers off the field but that sounds like excuse making.

If Aaron Rodgers had a real coach I think he would have progressed further or stayed at the same level rather than regressing like he has.

I used to get annoyed when people said A Rogers would be better than Brady

As a reminder of how much better Brady is that EVERY OTHER QB in the History of the NFL:

Quarterbacks ranked by regular season wins, then winning percentage

Tom Brady 174 51 0 .773
Roger Staubach 85 29 0 .746
Joe Montana 117 47 0 .713
Peyton Manning 186 79 0 .702
Terry Bradshaw 107 51 0 .677
Ben Roethlisberger 117 58 0 .669
Aaron Rodgers 83 41 0 .669
Ken Stabler 96 49 1 .661
Steve Young 94 49 0 .657
Johnny Unitas 118 64 4 .645
John Elway 148 82 1 .643
Jim Kelly 101 59 0 .631
Brett Favre 186 112 0 .624

Well we know how good Brady is in the playoffs, but he is head and shoulders above any other NFL QB in history in the regular season also.

I used to get annoyed when people said A Rogers would be better than Brady

As a reminder of how much better Brady is that EVERY OTHER QB in the History of the NFL:

Quarterbacks ranked by regular season wins, then winning percentage

Tom Brady 174 51 0 .773
Roger Staubach 85 29 0 .746
Joe Montana 117 47 0 .713
Peyton Manning 186 79 0 .702
Terry Bradshaw 107 51 0 .677
Ben Roethlisberger 117 58 0 .669
Aaron Rodgers 83 41 0 .669
Ken Stabler 96 49 1 .661
Steve Young 94 49 0 .657
Johnny Unitas 118 64 4 .645
John Elway 148 82 1 .643
Jim Kelly 101 59 0 .631
Brett Favre 186 112 0 .624

Well we know how good Brady is in the playoffs, but he is head and shoulders above any other NFL QB in history in the regular season also.
Only one guy on that list played most of his games indoors, so let's take him off.

No Aaron Rodgers doesn't give me pause re: Jimmy G. Tom Brady does.

If Aaron Rodgers retired today he'd be...maybe not HOF but as close as you can get to not being HOF. Frontrunner or not, he's been a boss basically from the get-go. Something's going on there...if it's coaching, or a Patriots 2009 level of transition where they need to make some other changes, I dunno. Last year the excuse was no Jordy, receivers couldn't get open, etc. The game film sort of bore that out to be true, but not always. The most quoted line about Rodgers was how great he was at "throwing the receiver open", so the excuse can't be just that the receivers aren't open, right? Something's wrong, but I don't think his track record with McCarthy suggest just "**** coaching". Maybe they're just doing something making it more predictable that they need to fix.

The thing that makes Rodgers situation look even worse is he has had the best pass protection in the league this year.

Telling you people don't dismiss the PSI thing. Guy admitted he over-inflated balls and ever since defamegate he's looked worse.

Only one guy on that list played most of his games indoors, so let's take him off.

No Aaron Rodgers doesn't give me pause re: Jimmy G. Tom Brady does.

If Aaron Rodgers retired today he'd be...maybe not HOF but as close as you can get to not being HOF. Frontrunner or not, he's been a boss basically from the get-go. Something's going on there...if it's coaching, or a Patriots 2009 level of transition where they need to make some other changes, I dunno. Last year the excuse was no Jordy, receivers couldn't get open, etc. The game film sort of bore that out to be true, but not always. The most quoted line about Rodgers was how great he was at "throwing the receiver open", so the excuse can't be just that the receivers aren't open, right? Something's wrong, but I don't think his track record with McCarthy suggest just "**** coaching". Maybe they're just doing something making it more predictable that they need to fix.

Aaron Rodgers might be a first ballot hall of fame QB if he retired today. 100% chance he gets in. Don't Terrell Davis me here....Rodgers has the resume.

Aaron Rodgers might be a first ballot hall of fame QB if he retired today. 100% chance he gets in. Don't Terrell Davis me here....Rodgers has the resume.
I agree with you completely he has the resume - most importantly he's got the SB. If he retired today the only reason he might not be first ballot would be...because he retired today. There's just some weird **** going on with him right now that could change that perception because the problems (-5% completions over 2 years) are getting to the point that they are real, durable issues rather than statistical aberrations. But if 31/8 and a 92.7 rating are your "down year", you're probably doing okay. I just think about the trajectory, and whether or not I would think that Ryan or Rivers or Stafford were HOF-caliber if they had just won a SB, and the answer to that is "no". So when I think about Rodgers', eye test says YES, but objectively I think....maaaybe no unless he snaps back to 2011 form for a couple years. Harsh, maybe. But look at the WRs who have been left out or not 1st-ballot. Some top-tier dudes.

I agree with you completely he has the resume - most importantly he's got the SB. If he retired today the only reason he might not be first ballot would be...because he retired today. There's just some weird **** going on with him right now that could change that perception because the problems (-5% completions over 2 years) are getting to the point that they are real, durable issues rather than statistical aberrations. But if 31/8 and a 92.7 rating are your "down year", you're probably doing okay. I just think about the trajectory, and whether or not I would think that Ryan or Rivers or Stafford were HOF-caliber if they had just won a SB, and the answer to that is "no". So when I think about Rodgers', eye test says YES, but objectively I think....maaaybe no unless he snaps back to 2011 form for a couple years. Harsh, maybe. But look at the WRs who have been left out or not 1st-ballot. Some top-tier dudes.

Agree with most of your thoughts re: Rodgers. I think many are overreacting a bit. Green Bay has gotten off to slow starts before in the past and is still a pain in the ass come January. I think the quality of the overall team has slipped a bit, but that's just my opinion.

I do think that more WRs get left out of the HOF discussion than QBs, though, so that would obviously help Rodgers in this hypothetical situation.

Uh....didn't this dude win a SB and a SB MVP?
Absolutely.

If the Pats' next QB can take them to two Conference Championship Games and win a Super Bowl with a Head Coach who is a mere mortal, then I'd be very happy.

Let's get a little perspective:

The SB era began with the 1966 season.
In the first 35 seasons of that era, before the BB/TB era began in 2001, the Patriots went to and won just two Conference Championship Games and lost each of the ensuing Super Bowls.
We'd be damn lucky if a Garoppolo turned out to be as good as Aaron Rodgers and gave us a shot at two more when he was QB.

A little more perspective:
The Steelers waited 28 years between Bradshaw's last SB win and Big Ben's first.
The Cowboys "only" waited 16 years between Staubach's last SB win and Aikman's first. They've been waiting 21 years since Aikman's third.
The Packers waited 30 years between Starr's last SB win and Favre's only SB win...and then waited another 15 years for Rodgers to win one.
Those are all considered "great" franchises.

Steve Young's winning a fifth SB in the years immediately following Montana's four is the exception rather than the rule...an exception it would be great if a Garoppolo or someone else could carry on. And, even then, the 49'ers have been waiting 22 years to win another since Young's.

[edited for error]

Last edited:
Aaron Rodgers is on the record saying he prefers ball more inflated.

Ever since the NFL started giving a s*** to PSI, A Rod has been on the decline

I think we better call Ted Wells, i smell lack of integrity

If Aaron Rodgers retired today he'd be...maybe not HOF but as close as you can get to not being HOF.

If Rodgers retired today, he'd be in the HOF in his first year of eligibility. And it wouldn't be close.

Absolutely.

If the Pats' next QB can take them to two Conference Championship Games and win a Super Bowl with a Head Coach who is a mere mortal, then I'd be very happy.

Let's get a little perspective:

The SB era began with the 1966 season.
In the first 35 seasons of that era, before the BB/TB era began in 2001, the Patriots went to and won just two Conference Championship Games and lost each of the ensuing Super Bowls.
We'd be damn lucky if a Garoppolo turned out to be as good as Aaron Rodgers and gave us a shot at two more when he was QB.

A little more perspective:
The Steelers waited 28 years between Bradshaw's last SB win and Big Ben's first.
The Cowboys "only" waited 16 years between Staubach's last SB win and Aikman's first. They've been waiting 21 years since Aikman's third.
The Packers waited 30 years between Starr's last SB win and Favre's only SB win...and then waited another 15 years for Rodgers to win one.
Those are all considered "great" franchises.

Steve Young's winning two SB's in the years immediately following Montana's four is the exception rather than the rule...an exception it would be great if a Garoppolo or someone else could carry on. And, even then, the 49'ers have been waiting 22 years to win another since Young's second.
Young only won one SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back