PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Aaron Rodgers Give You Pause Re: Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodgers is like jekyll and hyde, or heckle and jeckle. He's historically a world beater at home, but meh on the road. Usually don't see him play like this at Lambo. But that in and of itself is telling, consistency is a hallmark of a great QB. If I was deciding if I wanted him as my teams QB i'd be worried about those H/A splits. But I have no answer for why that is. But I'd be worried about it. Maybe as he ages or whatever, loses some top end athleticism, the underlying root cause becomes more of a issue more often.

We're spoiled by Brady, who is remarkably consistent regardless. He has a 97.9 RAT at home and a 95.6 RAT on the road. Of course, RAT doesn't say everything, especially in one-game measurements, but it is a useful way of measuring overall effectiveness.

Rodgers is definitely better at home, but it's not like he's terrible on the road. For his career, he's got 121 TDs vs. 40 INTs, and 98.2 RAT. Yes, he's better at home (146/29/108.9), but so are most of the generational QBs. Manning has a 99.8 RAT at home and 93.3 on the road. Ben is 99.0 and 89.4.

I agree that we should strive to retain the services of the greatest quarterback of all time while he continues to play at a high level.

Well Aaron Rodgers has all day to throw today and can't hit open receivers. Its only 1 game though.
While I am FAR from the OP in saying that Rodgers is not very good, which is just silly to me, he certainly has had trouble this season hitting open guys. I will also say his receivers, particularly Jordy, has dropped some that have hit them right in the hands (though I know Jordy is still working his way back). Rodgers definitely does not seem to be as consistent as he was when he was the MVP and winning a Title. His play seems to be very much a mixed bag in recent seasons. I thought it had something to do with the OLine before this season, but those guys are giving him time to survey the field 8 times before he throws it. I think that could be, in part, to inconsistent WR play too, though. Who knows?

But guys, and not to beat the same subject over and over, but this is another reason to look at TB12 and just marvel at the man. He's playing at a level that NO OTHER QB has played going into his 40's. NOBODY! Other guys were good at or after 40, but not GREAT. Tom is GREAT. And he really hasn't shown a sign a slowing down. That's not homerism either. He really does look better now than he did in his 20's and 30's. I really really really hope that they don't start trying to say it's because he's on something. I really hope he isn't on something and that this really is just a product of him taking extremely good care of himself. And I'm trying to tread carefully a bit here because my general feeling is that most athletes are on something nowadays. The pressure to win and get big contracts is that great. But I digress a bit. Tom is just out of this world great at his craft. It seems he will never really get the full credit he's due. There will always be a hater nearby trying to discredit him. And that sucks because an athlete of his caliber should be celebrated by everyone who claims to love football and sports in general, no matter what team a person likes. He is truly the GOAT and there's no two ways about it.

I admittedly don't watch a lot of Packers games but Rogers flat out stunk yesterday.

Rodgers was ok last year, no one could call him 'great'. He was good, but no where near some of the incredible years he had prior. If your GB, the concern is the drop off now is lingering over a year so if there was any injury or issues due to injuries on the offense, that would have been addressed, healed by now. Further, Rodgers is in his PRIME now. Maybe, Rodgers is past his prime...? Brady was supposedly at his prime in 07 and since then has kept up an incredible pace. Brady never had this drop off for this long. Some could say 09 when he came back from the ACL/MCL, but the team wasn't great that year either and he progressed every week to go on to a spectacular 2010 MVP season.

It's really no surprise that Rodgers is now on the TB12 diet and exercise regiment! :)

Well Aaron Rodgers has all day to throw today and can't hit open receivers. Its only 1 game though.

Same thing last week...has all day but can't manage to make a completion. I'll say it.. Rogers is over rated at this point, I think. No generalship, no reading defenses...He's Drew Bledsoe except he can run. When he can no longer run he will be all done.
Pisses me off as I have him for qb on my ff team. Gonna have to replace him with Rivers.
On the side, I am very impressed with Green Bays offensive line.

Rodgers was ok last year, no one could call him 'great'. He was good, but no where near some of the incredible years he had prior. If your GB, the concern is the drop off now is lingering over a year so if there was any injury or issues due to injuries on the offense, that would have been addressed, healed by now. Further, Rodgers is in his PRIME now. Maybe, Rodgers is past his prime...? Brady was supposedly at his prime in 07 and since then has kept up an incredible pace. Brady never had this drop off for this long. Some could say 09 when he came back from the ACL/MCL, but the team wasn't great that year either and he progressed every week to go on to a spectacular 2010 MVP season.

It's really no surprise that Rodgers is now on the TB12 diet and exercise regiment! :)

Maybe Rodgers should practice more with properly inflated footballs since the overinflated ones that he prefers are taboo.

Because integrity.

We're spoiled by Brady, who is remarkably consistent regardless. He has a 97.9 RAT at home and a 95.6 RAT on the road. Of course, RAT doesn't say everything, especially in one-game measurements, but it is a useful way of measuring overall effectiveness.

Rodgers is definitely better at home, but it's not like he's terrible on the road. For his career, he's got 121 TDs vs. 40 INTs, and 98.2 RAT. Yes, he's better at home (146/29/108.9), but so are most of the generational QBs. Manning has a 99.8 RAT at home and 93.3 on the road. Ben is 99.0 and 89.4.

You didn't mention, so I looked it up. For comparison:

Rodgers is 92 / 82 , RAT H/A

I did, 108 vs. 98 on pro football reference. But your figures differ, are they based on this season? I was looking at career but curious where that figure comes from.

Seems like last year the excuse for Rodgers was the injury to Jordy Nelson. Others blamed it all on Davonte Adams. In retrospect maybe neither of these excuses were valid.

Seems like last year the excuse for Rodgers was the injury to Jordy Nelson. Others blamed it all on Davonte Adams. In retrospect maybe neither of these excuses were valid.

You can watch the film and see that the Packers' receivers are struggling to get open, and that still includes Nelson, who's not 100%. That's something to legitimately look at as part of the problem, but it's not all the problem.

I think it's been a plethora of issues.

It started with Finley's career ending in 2014 . He loved him
Then Nelson getting hurt. That was a killer.
Running game was not good last year. Lacy ate himself almost off the roster.
Cobb wasn't ready to pick up the slack.

I watched the game yesterday and he looked really confused out there Almost had happy feet. Not sure the o-line is the problem. The INT was awful. His YPA has been going down 3 straight years and IMO losing Nelson and Finley started it all.

Plus I think McCarthy sucks. He has as much creativity as a stump.

Sorry that was just this year, last 6 years, his HA RAT differentials were:

+5 +39 +36 -12 +11 +24

I did, 108 vs. 98 on pro football reference. But your figures differ, are they based on this season? I was looking at career but curious where that figure comes from.

Yeah my bad, that was for this season only. I posted the last 6 yrs above.

I can't believe that someone who looks like such a wiener is as physically gifted as Rodgers is. The guy is amazing. I highly doubt that the Pats will ever have a QB as good as Rodgers after Brady hangs 'em up.

I can't believe that someone who looks like such a wiener is as physically gifted as Rodgers is.

Still starched over Olivia Munn choosing Rodgers over you? :)

Sorry that was just this year, last 6 years, his HA RAT differentials were:

+5 +39 +36 -12 +11 +24

Yeah my bad, that was for this season only. I posted the last 6 yrs above.

No worries, was just curious. Interesting that the difference in home/road averages was 10 points in both methods though.

No worries, was just curious. Interesting that the difference in home/road averages was 10 points in both methods though.

I was using ESPN RAT, as was previous poster. Which I think is the only site in the world that has it, bc QB Rating is exactly the same thing. IIRC they thought it 'too complicated' so they dumbed it down and came up with their own rating system or something ESPNy like that. That's the difference and similarity between our two results most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back