PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dobson trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malcolm Butler objects. The Pats have rarely if ever been deeper at CB during Belichick Era, and have done so with nary a 1st round pick in the lot. Cy Jones looks like a keeper. When McCourty looked like he may not be the answer at CB, he instead became a top 5 safety. They got the last elite year of Revis and the last year Browner could play. Terrence Wheatley was a long time ago.
It should've been obvious from my post I was speaking historically. This team over the years under BB has had nagging trouble establishing consistency at certain position groups, notably cornerback, OL and WR.

But.... but... he was just about to break out

What are we talking, 14 first-rounders, 9 second rounders, a truckload of super-pure bolivian marching powder, and the team that trades us for him have to sing "I'm a yankee doodle dandy" dressed in nothing but three-cornered hats... on camera?

(...because Ricky Williams...)

Sorry, sarcasm there. The joke being that we tend to yap about trades we would never make (i.e. ludicrously overvaluing our own guys, regardless of lack of proven production)

He always seems so disinterested no fire in this guy if he is being jettisoned I'm guessing this is the reason the tools are there but no passion or love for the game to go the extra step.
Hence hitting the deck as soon as he catches the ball or going out of bounds as suppose to iniating contact.
However the block on the Gadget run was vicious.
It's a shame such a talent I'm sure a team maybe Bengals or Falcons will give him a chance to show something.

With Amendola on PUP , I wouldn't be shocked if Carter is the guy.. through camp and some pre season it seems all 3 qbs have established chemistry with him.

Has DeAndre Carter established himself on ST's??? Didn't think so. As ineffective has Dobson have been he's still more established and better than Carter.

What are we talking, 14 first-rounders, 9 second rounders, a truckload of super-pure bolivian marching powder, and the team that trades us for him have to sing "I'm a yankee doodle dandy" dressed in nothing but three-cornered hats... on camera?

I'd start with this and negotiate from there.

It was Breer who put this rumor out there. I always wonder about sources and their motivation. So who leaked this one? Was it the Patriots (highly unlikely), other teams or Dobson's agent?

I'd start with this and negotiate from there.

It was Breer who put this rumor out there. I always wonder about sources and their motivation. So who leaked this one? Was it the Patriots (highly unlikely), other teams or Dobson's agent?
I can't remember a leak that a patriot was being shipped that actually ended up in a trade.
It could be the patriots leaking it because dobson is a talented player who hadn't stayed healthy and it's hard to know where other teams would value him.
It could be the agent feeling a team weak at WR would give him more opportunity in a contract year so floating the rumor might elicit some offers.
I look at it like draft rumors about who the patriots like. They are rarely accurate.

Does that mean our injured WR's are doing better than we think, especially Danny, Mitchell.

(I had him maybe for 4 weeks)

Possibly - or maybe other teams just have more use for him. Some players that come to mind that didn't fit into the Patriots systems but were assets (at least for a time) elsewhere: Brandon Tate, Darius Butler, Brandon Meriweather (despite two pro bowls, it's clear his style was never really gelling.)

I think Dobson has almost no chance to make the roster because even if he looks like Jerry Rice in practice or in preseason games, there's a sense of "already tried that" when he gets into game situations and Brady has no faith in him. Also, since the team does have a lot of depth, it's an injury risk they are less likely to take than other teams who are more desperate at the position.

If they can get anything in return, even a conditional 7th round pick, why not?

Possibly - or maybe other teams just have more use for him. Some players that come to mind that didn't fit into the Patriots systems but were assets (at least for a time) elsewhere: Brandon Tate, Darius Butler, Brandon Meriweather (despite two pro bowls, it's clear his style was never really gelling.)

I think Dobson has almost no chance to make the roster because even if he looks like Jerry Rice in practice or in preseason games, there's a sense of "already tried that" when he gets into game situations and Brady has no faith in him. Also, since the team does have a lot of depth, it's an injury risk they are less likely to take than other teams who are more desperate at the position.

If they can get anything in return, even a conditional 7th round pick, why not?

Yea I think at this point they are doing nothing but showcasing him.

I think with JE11 now in the fold and Mitchell (assuming) and Martin (also assuming) ready for week 1 that pretty much sealed his fate.

It should've been obvious from my post I was speaking historically. This team over the years under BB has had nagging trouble establishing consistency at certain position groups, notably cornerback, OL and WR.

When it comes to OL, although there have been problems establishing consistency as you say, I would argue that the performance of the OL historically, primarily under Scar, has been remarkable given the lack of draft capital devoted to the OL. Because of the Patriots record of excellence over the years, they have had worse average draft position than any other team, and that is before the two #1's were stolen by he-who-will-not-be-named. I think it is clear that BB's strategy, given his usual low draft position, has largely been to have Scar coach up low draft choices and primarily devote his high draft choices to other positions.

How about the last 10 years? In the first three rounds, the Patriots have drafted 7 along the DL during that time, and a whopping 11 secondary players (!). What about OL? There has been exactly 3: Vollmer (at the bottom of the second round, one of BB's best ever draft choices), Soldier (he has been great value for the second half of the first round), and Thuney (who looks like a prize in the third round). Three for three.

During that 10 years all the Pats did was appear in seven AFC championships and four superbowls. I realize that one could argue that the true star of the offensive line is Tom Brady, but nevertheless I think it is remarkable that the OL has played as well as it has over the years given the lack of draft resources devoted to the OL.

Last edited:
Dobson deserves one more season to prove himself. I'm tired of having no big, physical WRs outside the numbers.

How many SB rings does Troy Brown have? How about Deion Branch? Edelman? Amendola? Whatever the number might be for each player, it's that many more than many of the big, physical WRs playing today.

So "IF" Dobson tears it up tomorrow night....is he still on the block?? Or is this Trade talk just to get in Aaron head keeping him on his toes??

If Dobson "tears it up" tomorrow, hopefully the demand for Dobson and compensation level, will both increase.

So "IF" Dobson tears it up tomorrow night....is he still on the block?? Or is this Trade talk just to get in Aaron head keeping him on his toes??
My thoughts as well expect a 3td night from Dropson

Yes. JE, Hogan, and Mitchell are way ahead of him. Martin is b/c of his ST value.

If DA is on the roster he is sure as gone. Plus I'm sure you'll see Gronk/Marty out there together at least 25% of the time thus only requiring a 3rd WR.

Hes gonzo

rw: if we wasn't so Fragile at the Position I would agree but if he looks good I say we keep. Its not like he's killing our cap and if he gives us something it will be gravy. But I wouldn't just give him away if he's healthy.

In the case of Aaron Dobson Fourth year Jump???:cool::p

rw: if we wasn't so Fragile at the Position I would agree but if he looks good I say we keep. Its not like he's killing our cap and if he gives us something it will be gravy. But I wouldn't just give him away if he's healthy.

Somehow this seems appropriate here, with Dobson starring as the parrot.

That the debate. Does he actually look good? Hes had a couple of nice catches and has shown up in the running game but he glides out there. Hes doesn't fight for balls. He always gets hurt in the regular season. Dobson is what he is.

Hes a 5th WR which means he'll get about 3-5 offensive snaps a game...maybe.

Could he contribute? Sure but it makes more sense to have a player than can help on STs or maybe another CB, RB, OL, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick