Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you want Randy Moss on the Patriot Team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go ahead and vote "no" on this guy, and it really has nothing to do with any "character" issues.

Moss' game has always been all about athletic ability. He's not known for his routes or ability to read defenses -- he's freakishly fast, tall, and makes amazing catches. These are the kind of receivers whose value rapidly diminishes once they can no longer rely on their athletic gifts... and that time may have come for Moss.

He's been slowed by injury in 2 of his last 3 years, and the types of injuries he's had -- ankle, hamstring, groin -- don't bode well for future durability. I think the chances are good that he's played his last season as an elite NFL WR... and though Moss at 75% would probably still be 50% better than anybody the Pats have at WR now, it just wouldn't be worth it at the price -- in terms of both contract and compensation for the Raiders -- that we'd have to give up.

I think the concerns you address are the concerns I have. Durability and physical concerns. I think the attitude piece is overblown. A guy like Moss to me is just immature and easily persuaded. Leadership forges attitude. The culture that the Patriot lockerroom has is quite different than that in Oakland and Minnesota. I think if the Patriots were to acquire Moss, we wouldn't have to worry a whole lot about his attitude.

I do. I really like the way the Patriots are headed... and once it all implodes like it does everywhere else, and Belichick is left with an overrated, overpaid team, with a possible bad attitude, and several aging key players, perhaps he will make the move back to the Giants or elsewhere.

The real question is, do we have the veteran leadership to keep Moss in line? We do not need him infecting the clubhouse with his brand of play. If Willy was here, he would make that clear to him immediately. Is there someone now who will do that? I think Rodney will, but is there anyone else on offense? Moss will need to be constantly reminded how to play Patriots football every game, every play, every interview.

Is he worth the risk, I don't know. But remember this, he wasn't just a jerk for the Raiders. He was also a jerk for the Vikings too. He was so good there he made Cullpepper look good. And they still got rid of him. And this is the team that had an orgy at sea. And he couldnt get along there.:eek:

You make having an orgy at sea sound like a BAD thing, lol. I think if he can be had for a #3 pick, and about 4mill a year, hell yeah, otherwise, no thanks.

I do. I really like the way the Patriots are headed... and once it all implodes like it does everywhere else, and Belichick is left with an overrated, overpaid team, with a possible bad attitude, and several aging key players, perhaps he will make the move back to the Giants or elsewhere.

Say if the Colts dont win the Super Bowl next year will you be this confident and arrogant? Or will you go back to being the coward that you are?

Because it wasn't just Oakland. He seems like the anti Pattriot. It's all about him and not the team. I say "no thank you".

Please produce one quote of teammates labelling him a bad character guy and negative influence in the lockerroom. In either Minny or Oakland.

I voted no for one reason only. This past year, I went to my first nfl game. Pittsburgh at Oakland. 5 rows back at the 40 yd. line. Being that I wasnt a fan of either team, I was extremely stoked to have the chance at seeing great players like polamalu, joey porter, and randy moss. Especially Moss. Leaving that game, I was disgusted.
Sure the raiders won, and it was great seeing Big Ben getting the **** knocked out of him, but Moss was a joke. All of the players on the field seemed to be running at a completely different speed. He took plays off and acted like he just didnt give a ****, and it was a big game for the raiders. The fans were rabid the whole game and the intensity was high. Unfortunately, Moss never matched it and looked like an over rated has been. He always had his head down and could be seen on the sideline moping. on two occassions I watched clearly as he was open across the middle and didnt even remotely attempt to catch the ball because polamalu was heading for him. He was booed and heckled all game long.

At first thought, "hell yeah! Bring him in here!" but then the rational side of me that has seen how he acts says "Hell no!" I don't think his character will mesh with the Pats and I don't think guys like Rodney will take kindly to that either. IF he still has the skills that made him arguably the best WR in the NFL maybe it's worth a shot (but not for a 1st rounder and 7-8 mil/yr.) but we haven't seen that type of production (for what he gets paid) for 3 years now.

No.

I don't trust that he would end his practice of taking plays off.

If I'm a Red Sox fan why would I want a pitcher tipping off his pitches to opposing batters? I'd avoid that at all cost.

It's the same with Moss running hard only when the ball is coming to him. Opposing players know when the ball is coming to him, and also know when to focus more on other WRs. Why would we want that?

Sadly he COULD be a great addition if he changed his ways on and off the field but I don't expect that to happen.

This team is all about toughness and aggression. Harrison and Hobbs and Bruschi and Vrabel. Brady and Neal and Mankins and Caldwell and Evans.

Winning games is all about preparation before the game and fight during the game. It's what these guys do and it comes from all around the locker room.

Adalius Thomas fits that to a T. So does Welker. Moss does not.

Having a highly-paid guy who is neither tough nor aggressive nor prepared would hurt everyone's motivation to get themselves ready to play.

No doubt about it. Bring Moss here if the price is right.

No, but I 'spose if the money's right (read LOTS of incentives)...

No.

I don't trust that he would end his practice of taking plays off.

If I'm a Red Sox fan why would I want a pitcher tipping off his pitches to opposing batters? I'd avoid that at all cost.

It's the same with Moss running hard only when the ball is coming to him. Opposing players know when the ball is coming to him, and also know when to focus more on other WRs. Why would we want that?

Sadly he COULD be a great addition if he changed his ways on and off the field but I don't expect that to happen.

That's a poor analogy. You're not going to be able to make an adjustment based on a player's perceived lack of effort on a play, in mid-play, from the other side of the field. Plus, if it's a passing play, moving off of him could bring the ball his way effort or not. The only players able to adjust would be the corner and safety or backer in the zone defending him. It wouldn't impact the other receivers.

I still say that he's not the malcontent he's made out to be. He's frustrated and immature.

For the right price and the right trade, yes I'd like him.

Moss wasnt always a slacker. He cared in Minnesota and worked a lot harder to win there. Oakland is a joke. If he comes to the Pats he might be a lot more motivated with us. Honestly, Moss wont dare to stir trouble in the locker room with veterans like Harrison, Bruschi, Seymour, Vrabel in there. I think he would respect Brady as his QB. Moss wouldnt try to stir up some locker room problems. The vets could keep him under control IMO.

If Belichick likes him then who am I to argue. Not for $10 million and a first rounder. A two year deal for $7 million per season and a 3rd rounder and I love it.

I'd be all for this trade..I'm assuming this won't get done b/c the Raiders would ask for too much..(Although I'm not trying to undervalue what type of player Moss is - a trade should compensate the Raiders fairly, but also take into account that they don't hold much leverage if the player already wants out) However, if the Pats could somehow make the money work without giving too much, I would go for it. I don't think we would have to worry about Moss' attitude. I really don't.

Now you may ask, what would the Pats give the raiders? One of the first round picks? Maybe some cash? Maybe some players? Maybe a draft pick and a player? What is too much? I dunno. But I'd be interested in seeing how much the Pats would value Moss.

In the end I don't think both sides will agree unless Randy Moss really pushed the issue and told the Raiders they better trade him....

I'd be all for this trade..I'm assuming this won't get done b/c the Raiders would ask for too much..(Although I'm not trying to undervalue what type of player Moss is - a trade should compensate the Raiders fairly, but also take into account that they don't hold much leverage if the player already wants out) However, if the Pats could somehow make the money work without giving too much, I would go for it. I don't think we would have to worry about Moss' attitude. I really don't.

Now you may ask, what would the Pats give the raiders? One of the first round picks? Maybe some cash? Maybe some players? Maybe a draft pick and a player? What is too much? I dunno. But I'd be interested in seeing how much the Pats would value Moss.

In the end I don't think both sides will agree unless Randy Moss really pushed the issue and told the Raiders they better trade him....
Not a first rounder! No way! But I'd still like him.

Just once, I'd like to see Brady work with someone like Moss. If BB thinks he can motivate the guy and if the price is affordable, I say go for it. He is NOT worth a first-round pick, however.
This is how I feel, also. Trade a mid round pick (4th round) at a reduced salary, and I'm all for it.

I would not like to gamble big money or a first day pick on the guy, though. I'd rather it be like David Terrell, where if it works out great, if not then nothing is lost.

That's a poor analogy. You're not going to be able to make an adjustment based on a player's perceived lack of effort on a play, in mid-play, from the other side of the field. Plus, if it's a passing play, moving off of him could bring the ball his way effort or not. The only players able to adjust would be the corner and safety or backer in the zone defending him. It wouldn't impact the other receivers.

I still say that he's not the malcontent he's made out to be. He's frustrated and immature.

You don't think safeties key in on where they think the ball might be going and are tuned in to watching Moss telegraph whether the play is coming to him or not?

If the safeties read the play early and can put added pressure on the other WR(s) that, in my book, is impacting the receivers.

They actually had a breakdown of this on SportsCenter last season.

If I'm an additional WR getting slammed by another team's safey when I'm double teamed I'm not too happy knowing that Moss taking a play off contributed to it.

This is how I feel, also. Trade a mid round pick (4th round) at a reduced salary, and I'm all for it.

I would not like to gamble big money or a first day pick on the guy, though. I'd rather it be like David Terrell, where if it works out great, if not then nothing is lost.

Where I think the Raiders would over-value Moss in this trade, most of the Pats fans posting in this thread, aren't valuing him enough. This isn't Doug Gabriel we are talking about. But at the same time, the pats would have more leverage if Moss demanded a trade.

Something else to look at... If Welker is worth a 2nd rounder...then what is Moss worth? That's the question to ask...

Or maybe most of you think we shouldn't even bother with it. I'd be for it, if they could restructure the deal...but I'm still so unsure about the draft pick and/or players we'd have to give up.

Last edited:
No. He's a bad apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back