PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you want Bruschi to return or retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's tough as they come but he's over the hill and needs to retire.

He should retire now while he still has a chance at picking up his grandchildren and walking on the beach with his wife.
He'll be in the HOF and go down as one of the greatest LB's ever.

He should retire now while he still has a chance at picking up his grandchildren and walking on the beach with his wife.

I love Bruschi as much as anyone...but there is no way he gets into the Hall of Fame. Patriot HOF, yes...NFL HOF, no shot.

I would like him to return, but I don't think the team can ask him to take a backup role. He's been a solid starter for so long, taking a backup role would show he is declining, and no player wants to be that old man taking up space on the team.
I'm usually on the same page as you, but I'm going to disagree here. As I recall Bruschi was in on about 1/4 - 1/3 of the snaps of games early this season, so he and the team seem to be okay with the concept of a backup role.

It seems to me he's getting as much playing time as he is due to the Pats needing to fill a hole due to injuries - and not because Bruschi won't retire and let somebody else take over. In addition his salary is relatively low, especially considering his past success; it's not as if the Pats would save a bunch of cap space with somebody else taking his place.

The one thing not in his favor is that being a backup means you are expected to be a special teams standout, and at his age Bruschi no longer has the speed to excel in this area.

To me the question is simply this: if you don't bring him back, is the person you are going to replace him with an upgrade?

Last edited:

No way he makes the hall.

Bring him back anyone who doesn't think there isn't a role for him is crazy

Sorry--too slow. Just like Rodney. It's time.

Return. He is invaluable as a backup and a team leader...kind of like the role Seau had last year until Colvin got injured.

Name him as the Defensive Coordinator.

If Tedy is healthy he can play in a limited role for another two years. He's 35; we've had linebackers play into their late thirties on this team.

If Tedy is healthy he can play in a limited role for another two years. He's 35; we've had linebackers play into their late thirties on this team.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the consensus is on young linebackers, but ILB on the Pats' defense is not a plug and play position (Mayo has proved to be the exception to that rule). Bruschi is a low-priced veteran who is not a liability on the field. I'd like to see him stick around in the rotation.

Bruschi is also a guy who will not stick around when he cannot do the job. If he cannot completely bounce back from his injury, I expect he steps down and calls it a career.

Last edited:
I definitely want him back in '09. It would probably be best if he didnt return during the playoffs (thats right we'll be there) so he can heal up properly.

After the kind of career he has had it would be tragic to see it end because of an injury. I believe in going out with a bang.

...Yes!:banned:

Retire. No question.

If he can play, he'll be back for depth. I want him to get one more shot at a ring with Brady. Retire on top, hopefully!

I would love for Bruschi, Harrison, AND Dillon to return next season. Maybe BB can entice Troy Brown out of retirment as well.

Return, but BB has got to play him as a backup.

If anyone has earned the right to continue playing if they wish, it's Bruschi. But I think Tedy will retire if he knows it would be best for the team. It would be interesting how much the 'team loyalty' factor might play into the BB/SP's thinking, even if they feel they need the roster spot for another player.

I think he still has enough left to contribute if healthy, but he seems to have gotten smaller [and obviously slower] over the past couple of years, so who knows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference