PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you want Bruschi to return or retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I absolutely love the guy and is one of my all time favorite linebackers just below Willie Mac and Tippett, but its obvious his best years are long gone and his injuries are starting to occur more frequently and it looks like its time for him to start his new career whether it be in broadcasting or coaching or something totally away from football.

Other than helping tutor any drafted LB we get in 2009, I really see no reason for him to finish out his remaining year and risk further injuries next season.

IMO its time for Mayo and Guyton and whoever becomes an additional ILB to take over his roster spot next season whether it be a savvy vet in FA or in the draft for the Patriots as they come closer to the second decade of the Millennium

Who thinks its best for #54 to retire now and who still thinks he should be on the roster in 2009?

Last edited:
Return. No question that he's a definite plus as a serviceable backup. He knows the D and can still play - made many tackles this year, and not 10 yds behind the LOS.

Retire. He's was done before the injury. He would actually be hurting the team if he plays. He just doesn't have it anymore. It's time for Guyton to get full time reps.

Last edited:
I want him to do whatever he and BB feel is best for both Tedy and the team.

I think this is not the time to ask this. The guy gives everything he has.

Honestly if we had some nast OLB's who could get pressure on the qb and if we had a legit rcb then this defense would be very different.

I think the plan is to keep him around but reduce his playing time.
The rooks will need more guidance from the experienced vet.
However if Mayo is ready to take over than Bruschi can retire in a Seau kind of way. That is, be on BB's speed dial for emergency situation.

I'd like to see him come back for one more year. I'm assuming the Pats will draft a LB or two this offseason. He can only help in the devopment of those players along with Mayo, Crable, Guyton, etc.

He has obviously lost a few steps but I think he is definitely a serviceable linebacker in certain packages too.

Lastly, it would be nice to see him go out on his own terms and not due to injury.

Why would anyone want ANYTHING but this??? I think this will be the way...reture now?? No...I would hate to see that...another year..I HOPE...BUT if he decides otherwise...so be it.

If he can perform and they (the coaches and Teddy) feel he has something to give still, then cool. If not, bow out as one of the best Patriots there was. He's at that age where I get indifferent towards players because I'm happy if they return but I'm also happy for them if they want some family time and hang 'em up. At some point you have to move on.

Whatever Tedy wants is fine by me - he's given more than he ever needed to and earned every penny of his salary.

That being said, those who think he's got no place on a 53 man roster either have very high expecations for drafted and free agent LBs or don't understand the intangible locker room leadership he provides.

Lighten his load, let him pass along his attitude, skills, tricks of the trade and work ethic and he'll again more than earn his keep on this team.

That is exactly what will be done, it always is. Evry single decision that has been made in Foxboro since BB & SP arrived has been in what they feel is in the best interest of the New England Patriots Football TEAM. Their track record is pretty darn good too.

My hope is Bru returns along with Rodney & JR for one last run for the ring and go out Champions. Seems to me leadership and depth would be served quite well with those three.

makes me wonder why this thread was started if everyone is going to "parrot" BB

Return if he's willing and able. We already have a rookie starting next to him. You want a 2nd year guy and undrafted FA staring next year?

Ideally, I would go back three years in a time machine so we wouldn't be in this position, but we are, so we can't turn down any experienced linebackers that are ambulatory.

I think we need to carry one or two extra spots for linebackers at the expense of other positions so we can carry experienced LBs like Seau and Colvin and a bunch of young linebackers we can hopefully fast track so we don't end up starting Mayo and three rookies in a couple years. There's a fairly good failure rate for LBs in our system, we need to train them up in batches.

Last edited:
I would like him to return, but I don't think the team can ask him to take a backup role. He's been a solid starter for so long, taking a backup role would show he is declining, and no player wants to be that old man taking up space on the team.

I agree that Tedy has given a tremendous amount to the team and still plays at his highest level possible. However, we all see that he is not the same player of old, no pun intended, and we have to be able to compete with these younger and faster players that keep killing us in the middle. What Coach B has shown us is that time after time he can coach up young players as good talent and plug holes. Have we forgotten how he back filled for Lawyer Malloy, Ty Law, and Willie McGinest with success? I want to see the Defense we used to have and that is going to require making the hard decisions to dropping the sentiment to do what is best for the team. Other players will fill the veteran role. Look at how well Mayo and UNdrafted free agents have been playing. It is okay to move forward and believe in our Coaches and system. I love Rodney Harrison, but time is no longer on his side either and we have to thank them graciously for all the incredibly play and find the next Andre Tippett out there.

one more year..
Teddy deserves another ring.

I'm torn. As a huge Bruschi fan, part of me wants the guy not to be out there and play like a shell of his former self. Another part of me feels that Bruschi has done so much for this team that he deserves Troy Brown treatment and be allowed to come back eventhough it is clear to everyone but himself that he should just hang it up.

Wouldn't mind seeing him return as an experienced backup.

As an aside, I know it's over and done with, but I really wish there was less "knee-diving" when it comes to tackling. Richardson essentially whiffed on the tackle (on a guy already going down) and ended up costing Teddy the rest of his season. It's a little bush-league, in my opinion. You see all kinds of injuries, going back to the gruesome Wilis Mcaghee one in the '02 National Championship. I understand that it's probably coached, especially when it comes to cornerbacks taking down bigger ballcarriers. But it's a shame to see injuries like that due to people throwing shoulders into shins and shoetops.

I think everyone hopes it works out that way.

The thing is, what is best for Tedy and what is best for the Pats might not be the same thing. At the end of a players career, they often are not.

I think everyone hopes it works out that way.

The thing is, what is best for Tedy and what is best for the Pats might not be the same thing. At the end of a players career, they often are not.

Well, it doesn't say a whole lot of positive things about how BB views Bruschi's coverage skills at this point when we see a rookie out there in his place even though the rookie (along with his fellow ILB rookie) is getting beaten by opposing tight ends, game in and game out. However, given the way this coaching staff finds ways to use players, with both versatility and specialization depending upon the need and the player, I hesitate to come down on one side or another when it comes to players who've been around as long as the Bruschi/Vrabel types of veterans have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots