PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do You Expect Rowe to be Picked On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vindicate

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Question is as title says - do you expect the Falcons to pick on Rowe?

Rowe, being our slowest (yet tallest) CB had managed to get burned a couple times against the Steelers with just enough separation for some WR to make plays (if they could've held onto the ball). With us facing an offense that is so pass-heavy, I would expect them to take note of the softer spot in our coverage.

This is to not diminish Rowe by any means, the man has held his own.

Also, Rowe's size makes catches like that just hard to make. You're not going to get burner status separation on him so you're going to have to make a perfectly arc'd throw over his tall frame, which in turn somewhat equalizes the little separation a WR can get, especially considering he's not on your #1, he's normally taking out depth.

Sorry if the question has been broached in other threads. If we want to turn this into "How Atlanta Will Attack Our Defense", so be it. I'd like some input on where you see the Falcons exploiting the Patriots defense.

I actually think the game will be won and lost on how the Atlanta back up WR's do against our non Butler and DMC secondary. If Rowe and friends can hold their own, i think we win. If they get burnt alive, it will be hard

I would imagine Rowe will be used in very specific packages. I wouldn't be surprised to see them put him on Sanu (6'2'' and average speed) in the red zone, or having him check their TE throughout the game. You can't put him on Gabriel because he's too quick and agile, and Julio is Julio.

I don't see the Falcons picking on him too much because i don't think the Pats will put him in a position to allow that to happen (that often).

I guess the question of whether he gets picked on depends on who primarily covers who, which is something I've been especially unsure of.

Usually we see a stud WR get Ryan + safety help, but I think Ryan might be used this time to man up on Sanu because they're both tall and play inside or outside on their respective sides of the field. Butler may be on Jones in that case, sometimes with safety help.

In this case, I think Rowe draws Gabriel, and I'm not sure I like that matchup for us. I think we could see some "burner level separation" even. We seem vulnerable to smaller, faster guys like Eli Rogers last week.

I would imagine Rowe will be used in very specific packages. I wouldn't be surprised to see them put him on Sanu (6'2'' and average speed) in the red zone, or having him check their TE throughout the game. You can't put him on Gabriel because he's too quick and agile, and Julio is Julio.

I don't see the Falcons picking on him too much because i don't think the Pats will put him in a position to allow that to happen (that often).

This is is. We have the best defensive mind in the history of the game as our HC. Our DC looks bloody good and will be spoken about for years in this league. They have got two weeks to devise a game plan where our S don't get obliterated.

This is is. We have the best defensive mind in the history of the game as our HC. Our DC looks bloody good and will be spoken about for years in this league. They have got two weeks to devise a game plan where our S don't get obliterated.

I was even thinking of this as I typed it out - Rowe gets put in positions to succeed and overcome whatever deficiencies by Patricia with BB giving input. Knowing our coaches, hopefully they just roll him out in the best position to get the job done.

We take away your strengths, we mask (Take away) our weaknesses. I love it. How many times does a coach really go "Alright, we know your strengths, but what's the short list of your weaknesses, because that's what matters most" to its own player (obviously it's not as simple as that language, but you get where I'm going). I could go all cognitive psychology on that and write a paper as to how that's one of the least often used, but most effective learning and execution strategies.

Yes. Right now he is the weak link of the secondary. Not that he is horrible though.

No. He's played very well. He didn't get "burned," either. He was right there with each receiver, and got his hand in to affect the catch.

Tried to avoid hyperbole with the term "burned", but it seems as if there were a few moments of enough separation for a quality receiver to make a play on. Just my observation, though.

We also have smaller and quicker CBs in Cyrus and Jonathan Jones available.

Just because he won't be returning kicks doesn't mean Cyrus won't be active and useful.

It seems to me like a lot of his pass breakups are borderline flags.

He gets that hand on the arm JUUUUUUSSSSTTTTTTT a little too early for me to feel safe lol.

Just because he won't be returning kicks doesn't mean Cyrus won't be active and useful.

Do you see Bill rolling them out in a huge game? Maybe in a man package, but I'd be hesitant in a zone package that relies so much on cues and communication. How often have they been used in post-season / second-half of regular? Anyone know? And for what packages?

I see Rowe as more of a situational player this game than he has been the second half of the season. He could be on a TE when they are split out wide but having him on Gabriel is a problem.

Still having the feeling that Jonathan Jones follows Gabriel (3rd fastest 40 time at the 2016 combine).

They won't be useful. We were all very high on Butler and he was a well known up and comer on this board before the superbowl so him making a big time impact play at the end was possible. The 2 Jones have not been known for good defensive play yet and I would be shocked if they get any time. I don't see any surprises this year. If Mitchell makes a big play I will not be shocked though fans of other teams may say "who is this guy?" I don't see anyone who has not made big plays for us this year suddenly coming in and doing something.

The guys who got us here are who we stick with though I would not be surprised to see Jonathan Jones make a few key STs plays. He has made them all year.

Interesting take from Chatham on how NOT to defend the Falcons

Sounds like we gotta bully 'em right off the line. Hammer them. Discipline.

Fortunately, we're pretty good at the whole, you know, discipline thing.

Question is as title says - do you expect the Falcons to pick on Rowe?

Rowe, being our slowest (yet tallest) CB had managed to get burned a couple times against the Steelers with just enough separation for some WR to make plays (if they could've held onto the ball). With us facing an offense that is so pass-heavy, I would expect them to take note of the softer spot in our coverage.

This is to not diminish Rowe by any means, the man has held his own.

Also, Rowe's size makes catches like that just hard to make. You're not going to get burner status separation on him so you're going to have to make a perfectly arc'd throw over his tall frame, which in turn somewhat equalizes the little separation a WR can get, especially considering he's not on your #1, he's normally taking out depth.

Sorry if the question has been broached in other threads. If we want to turn this into "How Atlanta Will Attack Our Defense", so be it. I'd like some input on where you see the Falcons exploiting the Patriots defense.
Linebackers in coverage/ 3rd & 4th CB??

I think Rowe will get tested more than Butler or Ryan, both of whom have some known ballhawkish tendencies. I agree with others that if he holds his own, it could be a frustrating day for Atlanta's WR corps.

Jonathan has played a handful of snaps at CB and hasn't looked too bad (the dreaded eye test), so I wonder if there is a role for him in this game. Time will tell.

Do you think Atlanta had success against Seattle as that is basically the Defense they play? That is, they see it every day in practice and know how to exploit it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe