PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you expect more penalties on the Pats this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Becasue i do. Based on the early reports and the players they brought in for secondary (Revis+Browner) and a league emphasis on illegal contact ect i think we will see a lot more penalties on the Pats secondary.

I think they will be much more physical this year ( i love that) and that of course translates into penalties. But will this be a bad thing? Or will it work out like in Seattle

patriots - Flag Day: Why you should expect more penalties against Patriots secondary in 2014 - WEEI | Christopher Price

I'm not worried about it. They'll play each game how they're taught and hopefully adjust if a ref crew is throwing laundry all over the field. The Patriots are about the best coached team in the league and will adjust to any rule changes.

Penalties will increase for us. They will decrease for Denver.

I expect a flag every time Manning attempts a pass against us. But that's something that I've basically expected since 2004 so...

I expect a flag every time Manning attempts a pass against us. But that's something that I've basically expected since 2004 so...

Lucky this game is IN NE..so maybe a few passes with no flags..who knows!

Maybe. Browner hits pretty clean a lot of the time but he's also drawn some flags. I think it can be pretty beneficial, though, to absolutely lay someone the hell out at the cost of 15 yards in the 1st quarter. I'll trade 15 yards on a play for four quarters of opposing WR's having a fearful look in their eye as they wet their pants on every route.

Last season was a wake up call for me. With Welker taking Talib out of the game, and Ward blatantly throwing himself at Gronk's knees, I want to see a violent back field, and based on our FA acquisitions, I think Belichick feels the same way. I won't be surprised if we see some flags flay after some violent Patriot hits.

I expect more penalties for everyone (including Denver), but especially for Seattle.

I just don't want the pats to change their style based on the flag they will get in game. If this is the most physical D we have seen in 10 years..keep it going and it will all work out in the end IMO

Some interesting Tweets tonight from Mike Pereira, former vice president of officiating for the National Football League and now a rules analyst for FOX Sports, indicating that the league plans to get harder this season on defensive holding and illegal contact.
Here are some of his Tweets:

Interesting day at NFL officiating clinic. Biggest point of emphasis for 2014..Illegal contact and defensive holding. More offense!
— Mike Pereira (@MikePereira) July 19, 2014

Last time the NFL had this as a major emphasis was 2004 and the number of illegal contact fouls went from 79 to 191.

NFL says they are offsetting this emphasis with an emphasis on calling offensive pass interference. Not an even trade in my opinion.

@HubbuchNYP >>Not that far from the truth, Mr. Hubbuch. Hope you are well.

While there aren’t a lot of details here to know for sure what it means, it’s obviously hard not to read those and think of the Seahawks and the physical play of the Legion of Boom secondary.
Is NFL planning to get tighter on defensive holding and illegal contact? | Seahawks Blog | Seattle Times
Not a big fan of point of emphasis: With media-based chatter that the NFL is planning to stress a point of emphasis on illegal contact and defensive holding, Belichick was asked how he teaches his players with this in mind. The topic of a “point of emphasis” struck a chord with Belichick. "The league does this every year -- it doesn’t change a rule it just says 'we’re going to emphasize it differently,' well I don’t really know what that means because we’ve tried to play by the rules from the beginning. So I think you definitely have to get to the preseason or in some cases the regular season to see how that’s going to be. ... The ones that are cut and dried, we'll accept them for what they are. The ones that would change the shade of gray from light to dark, or dark to light, I think there's a little of seeing what that is. That being said, that's kind of the way it is the National Football League anyway." On a related note, officials are scheduled to be in Patriots training camp the week in which the Eagles are here prior to the second preseason game.
High praise for Jerod Mayo from Bill Belichick - ESPN

On the defensive side of the ball I think we might along with every other team, although the chances could increase when Browner returns based on his playing style but I hope not. I think you'll certainly see some "other teams" getting called more often for illegal contact and defensive holding.

I actually expect less.

Penalties are caused mostly by poor technique or overcompensating for bad angle, bad coverage, or getting fooled or beat.

I actually expect less.

Penalties are caused mostly by poor technique or overcompensating for bad angle, bad coverage, or getting fooled or beat.

You also have to take in effect some refs just call bad penalties in regard to PI/illegal contact. We see it every week

Get ready for the penalties, because they're coming:

Citing the NFL points of emphasis, when an official sees illegal contact or holding he looks to the quarterback. If the quarterback still has the ball or is being sacked, holding or illegal contact (if the quarterback is in the pocket) will be called.

Also, "grabbing the jersey or any other part of the receiver's uniform is defensive holding and will be called regardless whether or not the official deems that the grab impeded or restricted the receiver."

What are cornerbacks supposed to do at the top of a receiver's route?

"To them? Nothing," Bush replied. "You just have to mirror, to shadow them.

"We were taught to be physical with them. We're going to do our job. We're definitely going to push the limit, that fine line."

Hochuli, the body-by-Popeye referee with something of a cult following among NFL fans, forecasts heavy flag-tossing early.

"I would expect there may be more fouls called in the first preseason game and the first regular-season game," Hochuli said. "The big one is holding. We've also tightened up the rule on illegal contact. We've always given a little leeway on that.

Expect a flurry of yellow this NFL season | Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Read the article. We're looking at the next step towards flag football.

Bonus question to Win the thread: Predict the new 2014 penalty that will be called on the Patriots & only on the Patriots.

Ultimately, we can still thank Polian for this ****.

The good news is that Hochuli will get more face time... I'm sure we're all waiting for that.

Revis got star treatment from the refs when he was in NY (I did watch many Tampa games last year to know if he got similar treatment last year). I don't think he will draw as many calls as many other CBs. The Pats' other DBs may be another story.

The good news is that Hochuli will get more face time... I'm sure we're all waiting for that.

What's the point of working out that much if you can't get a TV close up to show off all the hard work you put in at the gym?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back