Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you even respect Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Visiting Locker Room' started by PATS16N0, Nov 26, 2013.

1. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 39 / -27

We beat the broncos last year

2. wolverinejoe80

wolverinejoe80 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +90 / 11 / -0

and got crushed by us. :p

at the end of the day denver made a right decision to move on with tebow. tebow's success was not sustainable. dude is beyond atrocious as a passer. i bet peyton when he was 14 would've made better NFL throws.

3. wolverinejoe80

Ratings:
    +90 / 11 / -0

and? :confused:

bottom line they lost to a better team. just like we lost to a better team.

4. PYPER

PYPER Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure how one can be that high on Marino and then dog Manning. Whatever criticisms exist of Manning apply ten-fold for Marino, who is by far the most overrated QB of all time, in my opinion.

Otto Graham needs to be on that list. He was the Tom Brady of his generation.

5. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 39 / -27

You said we were clowned by them

6. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 39 / -27

The only way to argue Marino > Manning is that Marino did it before the league became a pass first league, and without the benefit of rule changes and things such as offensive holding actually being called in those days.
    The ring and better postseason play, (yes as bad as Mannings post seasons have been, Marino was worse) outweigh that.

7. wolverinejoe80

Ratings:
    +90 / 11 / -0

my bad. i was talking about the ravens. they lost to the SB champ. we lost to the SB champ. but at least they scored 35 on them. we got blanked in the 2nd half.

8. Christiancat

Christiancat PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -15

#12 Jersey

The Broncos also lost to the Pats with Peyton as their QB. I am not sure why you had to bring Tebow up in a thread about Peyton. I also don't know why you feel the need to put Tebow down at every turn. I mean the guy is out of the NFL at the moment. I hope Tebow gets another chance, but who knows if he will. That's another story entirely.

I know Peyton is an excellent QB, but you don't need to use Tebow as means of propping up Peyton. As this thread really has nothing to do with Tebow. I disagree about Tebow being an atrocious passer. Tebow has his flaws no doubt, but he's not as bad as you are trying to make him out to be.

It seems to me that you are in here trying to talk up Peyton Manning as the best thing since slice bread. Yet fail to realize that despite how good Peyton is, he is not flawless. This thread is about whether you respect Peyton. So I will bring it back to that. I respect Peyton. He's an excellent QB. Best wishes to Peyton.

9. wolverinejoe80

Ratings:
    +90 / 11 / -0

it's impossible to compare era to era. i'm 100% sure none of us watched otto graham other than few grainy highlights.

it was a different game. comparing past greats to today's players is like comparing galaxy note 3 to first motorolla cell phone that's bigger than a football

10. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 39 / -27

In all fairness he did not bring up Tebow, someone else did in response to the claim that Manning took them from nothing to something, by pointing out very aptly that they won a playoff game with Tebow and did not with Manning.

11. PATS16N0

PATS16N0 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 58 / -40

#12 Jersey

You're a closet Denver fan. This is the same exact dumb argument Bronco fans use despite the fact that the PATRIOTS buried the Broncos so hard Peyton stole our offense afterwards for this season.

In their deranged little minds, the Ravens beating us by more than they beat them erases the fact that WE buried the Broncos in head to head and makes Denver the better team.

Be a little more transparent about the fact that you're a trolling Bronco fan why don't you.

It's funny how it took Bronco fans about a day after signing Peyton to adopt all the backwards bizzaro-world logic that Colts fans used to make excuses for themselves for years.

12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Great list 2 points of disagreement. IMO you have to include Starr, he was the Brady of his era ( I am old enough to have seen his entire career). 9-1 record in the playoffs. I would put Starr as #5.

I also think you can argue Brady as better than Montana at this point in his career although Brady as the GOAT isn't a lock at this point.

IF Brady gets the 4th ring it isn't even close IMO.

Montana .713 winning %, Brady currently@ .774, huge gap for regular season although Brady has 1 fewer ring he had 1 more conference championship and and same playoff wins with 1 fewer losses in the playoffs. Just noticed that if the Pats run the table in the regular season Brady is 3rd all time in wins behind Manning and Farve, with a far better winning % than either of them.

Certainly respect Manning he just isn't Brady.

13. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 39 / -27

I dont think you and I have the same 'we' and 'they'

14. Christiancat

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -15

#12 Jersey

Actually Andy, look at the quote above in which Wolverinejoe mentioned Tebow. Which was post #184. Then I responded with Tebow winning in the playoffs and Peyton not winning in the playoffs was post #200. I also mentioned I respect Peyton. He's an excellent QB.

Post#200 was my 1st post in this particular thread. So if you are saying I brought up Tebow originally is incorrect.

15. Christiancat

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -15

#12 Jersey

Andy, I just noticed after going back a couple pages in this thread that the OP mentioned Tebow somewhere in this thread. So maybe that was what you were referring to as someone mentioned Tebow won in the Playoffs. I thought you were saying I was the first to bring up Tebow in this thread. Never mind, scratch the other post #214.

16. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 39 / -27

Starr is definitely an dilemma for me.
    Qb was not nearly as critical a position to those teams as it has been to the rest of the guys on the list.
    I put him somewhat in the same class as Bradshaw in that regard, but I think part of the reason I donwgrade him is that his titles were in 14 team leagues, and his 2 SBs were against a clearly inferior conference.

The 4th ring is the difference maker to me. I pretty much agree its the only factor that puts Montana on top, but it still does, IMO.

The fact that he is severely overrated isn't reason to not respect him, and I think thats sort of what the OP really meant.
    He is a very good QB but as you say, he just isn't Brady and its actually silly to make the comparison.

17. PATS16N0

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 58 / -40

#12 Jersey

I mentioned Tebow to highlight the fact that Peyton Manning didn't make the Broncos anything, which is what someone was inferring.

Even with a quarterback many people consider horrible, they were a post season team that WON a post season game. Denver had no shortage of talent. It isn't like Denver was hopeless and Peyton swooped in wearing a red cape and transformed them into a contender.

If Peyton goes down in flames again this year in the play offs,it's going to get a lot easier to claim Denver would have been better off sticking with and developing Tebow than having Peyton there solely to raise expectations and not win a single post season game.

18. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,053 / 194 / -145

Disable Jersey

12 Pro Bowls
    6 time FIRST team All-Pro
    #2 all-time in passing yards
    #2 all-time in passing TDs
    #3 all-time in QB rating
    #14 all-time in ypa
    #5 all-time in completion percentage
    #18 all-time in INT percentage
    #21 all-time in TD percentage
    #1 all-time in game winning drives
    #1 all-time in comebacks

He's a top 15 all-time QB who, despite usually being a choking dog in the playoffs, has brought his team to two Super Bowls and won one. Denigrate him in comparison to Brady/Montana/Starr/Graham/Unitas and the like, and I'm right there with you. Not respecting him for that level of on-the-field performance when making a stand alone analysis, though, seems more than just a little bit petty.

19. PATS16N0

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 58 / -40

#12 Jersey

Top 15 is a lot more reasonable. I can respect him as a top 15 quarterback.
    Raise the bar to top 2 or even 5 and... just... no.

And I definitely don't respect him in the sense that I worry about any games we play with them. Simply a matter of not believing the hype.

20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Btw in spite of Manning's lack of success in the playoffs, he is 2nd all time in wins that counts for a lot. In my mind he ends up ahead of Farve & Marino when all is said and done.