Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Maroney rush for 100 yards each vs Jets and Dolphins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok "danny" you're are below average poster. I wlil deal with it.

Thats nice. Does not change the fact Maroney has not lived up to the hype he came with when he was drafted. Let me guess you where one of the posters raving about how great our running game would be with the new stud we drafted.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just to prove how you are bending words and being a liar...
Poll says "will" you decide to say it means "can".

I stand corrected, the proper vocabulary is "will", happy? :)

Averaging 5-6 YPC against a terrible run defense is in NO WAY BETTER THAN AVERAGING 8-12 YPA throwing the ball. Its so simple it's astounding. You act as if the jets and dolphins have amazing Pass defenses and horrible run defenses.

Actually... you did know that the Dolphins had the #3 ranked NFL pass defense and the Jets the #11 ranked pass defense... didn't you? Next time please check the facts before inserting foot in mouth. :D As I was saying... it makes a whole lot of sense for the Patriots to attack the #30th and #32nd ranked rushing defenses ON the GROUND.

(http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1)

The pats average 8+ YPA throwing the ball this year, what RB is going to average 8 YPC?

If you believe that a RB has to average 8 YPC to have a successful ground game then I have some very attractive property that I can sell you that I hear the Tooth Fairy is letting go for a song!! FYI the Minnesota Vikings have the #1 run offense in the NFL and they average 5.5 YPC, which is by far the best in the NFL. Besides the poll question was not can Maroney average 5.5 ypc, the question is can he reach 100 yards rushing against 2 of the most pedestrian run defenses the league has to offer.

(http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1)

There we go again, with the "can" crap. And fix that to say "restore MY confidence in him" because not everyone has no confidence in him.

Indeed the poll at recent count indicated that 65% of people don't believe Maroney will make even 100 yards against the #30 and #32 run defenses in the NFL. We are not talking formidable, Pittsburg Steeler scary defenses, we are talking about the weakest the league has to offer. That certainly indicates a lack of confidence in Maroney's ability to get the deed done.

Last edited:
I said yes, and I'll call it 100 yards from scrimmage. I can see him making some hay with the checkdowns and -- God forbid -- screen passes, etc. I can also see BB feeding him to an extent, if he feels the running game would need "tuning up" if we were ever to have to lean on it. The run has gotten short shrift, and I'm not sure, but I have an inkling we might want to start balancing the attack, given that changing (outdoor, December/January) conditions are in store.

My feeling is that if you have a guy getting you over 4 yards per carry, you're okay with using that guy, regardless of whether he gets the 20+ carries that get him to the century mark.

Any explanation is an excuse, and vice versa, depending on whether your glass is half-empty or half-full.

2 possibilities:

1) BB is tired of Maroney not "getting it," etc., and is itching to have a season when he doesn't rely mainly on the pass, or

2) BB is passing because he wants to pass, and the sparse use of the run game reflects the fact that BB is unusually happy with the passing game.

My thought is that if we ever want to tune up the ground game, it's now, with the Jets and 'Phins on tap.

So maybe we don't -- once again proving either

1) We can't, or
2) We don't want to.

I'll jump on your bandwagon when the FO/Belichick do.

PFnV

I stand corrected, the proper vocabulary is "will", happy? :)

sure, as long as you evaluate it with that in mind (which you dont, as you can see below).

Actually... you did know that the Dolphins had the #3 ranked NFL pass defense and the Jets the #11 ranked pass defense... didn't you? Next time please check the facts before inserting foot in mouth. :D As I was saying... it makes a whole lot of sense for the Patriots to attack the #30th and #32nd ranked rushing defenses ON the GROUND.

(http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1)

Are you seriously suggesting they are capable of stopping our passing attack? As for foot in mouth, Mr I like to cherry-pick stats....

Passing attempts against:

Miami: 32nd (least in the league)
Jets: 29th

Yards per attempt:

Miami: 31st
Jets: 27th

Wow look at those VAUNTED PASS DEFENSES!!! Just because the league has decided to RUN against them, doesn't mean we WILL or SHOULD.

If you believe that a RB has to average 8 YPC to have a successful ground game then I have some very attractive property that I can sell you that I hear the Tooth Fairy is letting go for a song!! FYI the Minnesota Vikings have the #1 run offense in the NFL and they average 5.5 YPC, which is by far the best in the NFL. Besides the poll question was not can Maroney average 5.5 ypc, the question is can he reach 100 yards rushing against 2 of the most pedestrian run defenses the league has to offer.

(http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1)

Who said it needed 8 YPC to be "successful". To be MORE VALUABLE than the passing game it must. Unless you take in other factors of keeping the defense honest etc... but we are averaging 8+ YPA throwing without hardly ever even TRYING to run the ball (except to set the defense up when it makes sense, see play action to Randy Moss against PITT).

Indeed the poll at recent count indicated that 65% of people don't believe Maroney will make even 100 yards against the #30 and #32 run defenses in the NFL. We are not talking formidable, Pittsburg Steeler scary defenses, we are talking about the weakest the league has to offer. That certainly indicates a lack of confidence in Maroney's ability to get the deed done.

You have no idea WHY 65% believe he won't. You assume 65% believe he can't, but I'd bet most believe he WONT because most believe we will CHOOSE to pass with our amazing passing attack. (Refer to the other less biased poll on the issue).

Will Maroney gain 100 threads this week?

How about it boys and girls? Do you think we could have 100 Maroney threads before the week is out?

This will be be a short poll of 1 day. So make up your mind quickly. I will then merge it with one or both of the other Maroney polls so we can have a giant Maroney poll, poll.

This is a multiple choice poll.

This is only for the purpose of the poll. If the poll can be kept intact, it would be fine if this was merged into the main thread.

[Edit] So far the count is 5 No, and only 1 Yes. Hmm it's still early, but that would mean only 17% of Patriot Nation believe that Maroney can reach the 100 yard mark even against the #30 and #32 ranked NFL rushing defenses.

The question isnt can he, its will he.
After watching a season where we have the best passing game in NFL history, it would be reasonable for many fans to think Maroney will get about 15 carries. If you think that will be the case, and believe he will run for 99 yards, you would answer no.

Thats nice. Does not change the fact Maroney has not lived up to the hype he came with when he was drafted. Let me guess you where one of the posters raving about how great our running game would be with the new stud we drafted.

:rolleyes:

Whose hype?
IMO, he has absolutely lived up to my expectations. My expectations of a #21 pick are that as a rookie, they will get some action, but on a team of this quality it would be the exception to the rule that they will be starters, or even play a significant amount of time. He exceeded that. By year 2, they should most likely be a starter. Not all will, especially on a team of this quality, but good progress would be to start in year 2, and be effective in the role the teams asks of them. That is exactly what he is doing.
My expectations of a #21 pick are NOT that the team will revolve around them, that as a RB the team will ignore that it has the #1 passing game in NFL history, just to give him more carries.

My expectations are that if this guy is on the offensive side of the ball, and the teams offense is the best in NFL history with him as a starter, I cant hope for more than that.

Re: Do you think we could have 100 Maroney threads?

will we, or could we?

Don't we already?:confused:

Sammy Morris was better at dealing with the OL's inconsistent/mediocre ability to create holes. There's no doubt about that - Morris, like Dillon, will get 2-3 yards out of nothing, and Maroney, to his fault, has not been able to do that extremely well so far.

But at the same time, if the OL was able to open up the kind of holes other teams with better run-blocking OLs are able to create, Maroney would probably put up insane numbers b/c in the open field, he's a monster.

No.
Morris had half of his carries against Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Maroney threads were bothering me, but seeing they are out of my control I am going to embrace the insanity.......:p

Why stop at a thread? let's petition Ian to start a Maroney forum, that way all the people who want to waste all their time whining about Maroney can go there and leave the rest of us in peace.

could you add an option?

"we're just looking at the next maroney thread in front of us"

If Maroney raced Secretariat who wins?? Maroney or the one with skinny legs? Maroney. I say!!

Always have been and always will be with Maroney.

But...rushing for 100+ in both is a tall order. Hell, LdT only has four 100-yd games this year.

Something is going on with Maroney and the Pats and we're all dying to know just what it is. He might get 100 in one game, if he's given the chance to. I can't see him getting the chance and certainly not both games.

I'm HOPE for it, but I don't believe that he WILL.

Whose hype?
IMO, he has absolutely lived up to my expectations. My expectations of a #21 pick are that as a rookie, they will get some action, but on a team of this quality it would be the exception to the rule that they will be starters, or even play a significant amount of time. He exceeded that. By year 2, they should most likely be a starter. Not all will, especially on a team of this quality, but good progress would be to start in year 2, and be effective in the role the teams asks of them. That is exactly what he is doing.
My expectations of a #21 pick are NOT that the team will revolve around them, that as a RB the team will ignore that it has the #1 passing game in NFL history, just to give him more carries.

My expectations are that if this guy is on the offensive side of the ball, and the teams offense is the best in NFL history with him as a starter, I cant hope for more than that.
Agree, as this is a good post. This thread is a setup. What the original poster doesn't know is that the RB in question is not in the process of having his career's validity determined by the next game or any game this season. The bottom line is that the poster knows nothing about football. Now, this realization is likely to cause much dispute and anguish among the "Maroney sucks" contingent, but the poster deserves it. Realistically and against much protest from the majority of the posters on this board, I would like to see these threads continue, as they are proof that the "Maroney sucks" contingent is thinking illogically and is not able to separate the rational reasoning from the irrational. It's a simple fact of life, and it's not the first time this has happened.

In order to have 100 Maroney threads, the mods would probably have to do a lot of merging. It seems as if the number is nearing 1000 at this point.

Last edited:
The question isnt can he, its will he.
After watching a season where we have the best passing game in NFL history, it would be reasonable for many fans to think Maroney will get about 15 carries. If you think that will be the case, and believe he will run for 99 yards, you would answer no.

Isn't it more of an advantage to only have 15 carries against a defense scared of your air game with safties and LBs on their heals than get 25 carries against a defense that knows you are getting the ball? I think Maroney should have more space even if his carries are down, his overall yards should stay high.

If Maroney raced Secretariat who wins?? Maroney or the one with skinny legs? Maroney. I say!!
Problem is that Secretariat is terrible on the blitz pickup. A real issue!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News