Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Maroney rush for 100 yards each vs Jets and Dolphins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Maroney gain 100 threads this week?

How about it boys and girls? Do you think we could have 100 Maroney threads before the week is out?

This will be be a short poll of 1 day. So make up your mind quickly. I will then merge it with one or both of the other Maroney polls so we can have a giant Maroney poll, poll.

This is a multiple choice poll.

I voted no.

I voted no.

You could have voted no, and yes, Cat. It was a multiple choice poll you know.

You could have voted no, and yes, Cat. It was a multiple choice poll you know.

I voted yes, no, not sure and zombies.

I voted yes, no, not sure and zombies.

Having a little location I.D. problem today?

I don't think the two choices represent the entire spectrum, which should include the option of farkin A

PFnV

Count update:

17 think that Maroney will gain 100 yards rushing, and 39 think that he won't.
That means that 70% of voters do NOT believe that Maroney will reach 100 yards rushing against respectively the #30 and #32 ranked rushing defenses in the NFL. Well those are the numbers, what more is there to say? :D

Agree, as this is a good post. This thread is a setup.

There's no setup involved. The question is straightforward, will Maroney gain 100 yards against the TWO WORST rushing defenses in the NFL or not?
Let the parade of excuses continue, I'm used to seeing them. But try to use non "homer" vision when looking at the numbers, they don't lie.

Maroney has averaged 3.04 ypc over the past 5 games, and in 2006 Maroney averaged 3.06 ypc when Dillon had 10 or LESS carries in the same game. All these are FACTS. I think some people have just realized what to expect from Maroney, and thus the results of the poll that is measuring the public's expectations of Maroney's production in the next 2 games: 70% don't believe that Maroney will even reach the 100 yard mark against these cellar dwelling teams.

Last edited:
Count update:

That means that 70% of voters do NOT believe that Maroney will reach 100 yards rushing against respectively the #30 and #32 ranked rushing defenses in the NFL. Well those are the numbers, what more is there to say? :D

There's no setup involved. The question is straightforward, will Maroney gain 100 yards against the TWO WORST rushing defenses in the NFL or not?
Let the parade of excuses continue, I'm used to seeing them. But try to use non "homer" vision when looking at the numbers, they don't lie.

Maroney has averaged 3.04 ypc over the past 5 games, and in 2006 Maroney averaged 3.06 ypc when Dillon had 10 or LESS carries in the same game. All these are FACTS. I think some people have just realized what to expect from Maroney, and thus the results of the poll that is measuring the public's expectations of Maroney's production in the next 2 games: 70% don't believe that Maroney will even reach the 100 yard mark against these cellar dwelling teams.

Those aren't facts, thats called cherry picking. Oh Maroney had x number of ypc when Dillon had y number of carries. In 2006 Dillon had less than 10 carries 3 ******* times so your cherry picking. Maroney had a 4.3 ypc average last year, using random situations doesn't improve the reliability of the numbers because your making the sample size smaller. I highly doubt you care though since you only want to rip on him.

Last edited:
Those aren't facts, thats called cherry picking. Oh Maroney had x number of ypc when Dillon had y number of carries. In 2006 Dillon had less than 10 carries 3 ******* times so your cherry picking. Maroney had a 4.3 ypc average last year, using random situations doesn't improve the reliability of the numbers because your making the sample size smaller. I highly doubt you care though since you only want to rip on him.

I noticed that you put Maroney's 2006 stats proudly in your sig but fail to mention his 3.06 ypc when Dillon has 10 or less carries. FYI, that was from a sample of 8 games, including 3 playoff games in 2006. You also didn't put his 2007 stats in that sig, sorry to tell you this but we're living in 2007 nowadays. Maroney can hardly live off the "glory" of a 700 yard season, if you can call it that. What have you done for me lately Maroney? Why 3.04 ypc in the last 5 games.

http://www.nfl.com/players/gamelogs?id=DIL255767

Last edited:
Count update:

FUnny how you continuously avoid the thread I created where almost 90% of voters believe Maroney has the ability to rush for 100 yds against them, but most people believe he won't BECAUSE WE WILL CHOOSE TO PASS WITH THE BEST PASSING GAME EVER.

Get it through your thick head and stop trying to spin this poll to fit your agenda.

I noticed that you put Maroney's 2006 stats proudly in your sig but fail to mention his 3.06 ypc when Dillon has 10 or less carries. FYI, that was from a sample of 8 games, including 3 playoff games in 2006. You also didn't put his 2007 stats in that sig, sorry to tell you this but we're living in 2007 nowadays. Maroney can hardly live off the "glory" of a 700 yard season, if you can call it that. What have you done for me lately Maroney? Why 3.04 ypc in the last 5 games.

http://www.nfl.com/players/gamelogs?id=DIL255767

First of all, I've had that sig since I signed up so I didn't just put it up proudly like you say. Second, I don't know what your deal is about your 10 carry theory but basic statistics says that you want a larger sample size, not smaller so your just increasing your error rate by doing that. I have no idea why his overall stats are less important than your random perameters.

FACTS would include his 4.3 ypc last season and his 4.2 ypc this year. Anything you do with whatever random situational stat you think your coming up with is just noise and not as relable as a larger sample size. Maroney has a 4.2 ypc this year but for some reason his last 5 games is more important than the first 6 this year. Instead of looking at the games when he was getting 15-20 carries you look at the most recent 5 games where his carries range from 6-15 per game. I also like how you limit it to the last 5 since the 4 games previous to that benchmark that you chose he had over 5 ypc in each game. Again, your cherry picking stats to fit your own need.

Its pretty obvious that you either don't know anything about statistics or your intentionally trying to mislead people.

Last edited:
Count update:

That means that 70% of voters do NOT believe that Maroney will reach 100 yards rushing against respectively the #30 and #32 ranked rushing defenses in the NFL. Well those are the numbers, what more is there to say?
Big freakin deal!
I didn't even vote,because this is a moronic stat obsessed Colt fan kind of thread.
I guess we lost the Super Bowl against the Rams since the number of people who thought the Pats had a chance was very small!
This thread has nothing to do with any "on field" reality!
Plain and simple Maroney is a good back.
Is that your point,you want a great back?
Did Pats fans just see another back get a 100YDS on us?
It meant what?

Second, I don't know what your deal is about your 10 carry theory but basic statistics says that you want a larger sample size, not smaller so your just increasing your error rate by doing that.

The Dillon 10 carry or less parameter is pretty simple, it demonstrates that when Maroney doesn't have another back who carries a large share of the load his effectiveness deteriorates dramatically, to the tune of 3.06 ypc in 2006, behind the SAME offensive line, and sharing the offense with a crappy group of wideouts. So no OL excuses can apply, and no we have a "historic air attack" excuse can apply either. These stats merely prove Maroney's unsuitability to be "the" feature back.

However when you compare games in which Maroney split carries nearly 50/50 with Dillon his YPC grows to a respectable 4.22. Similarly Maroney was enjoying success earlier in 2007 when Morris was there to help shoulder the load. But by himself, Maroney has struggled, thus the 3.04 ypc over the last 5 games. Glad I could help explain the methodology to you. :) Let's be honest with ourselves people, it's not a disaster if Maroney is only suited to be a good #2 RB, you just need to find another RB to take over the #1 role, and you'll likely find that Maroney should be fairly productive, and comfortable in his sidekick RB role.

Last edited:
The Dillon 10 carry or less parameter is pretty simple, it demonstrates that when Maroney doesn't have another back who carries a large share of the load his effectiveness deteriorates dramatically, to the tune of 3.06 ypc in 2006, behind the SAME offensive line, and sharing the offense with a crappy group of wideouts. So no OL excuses can apply, and no we have a "historic air attack" excuse can apply either. These stats merely prove Maroney's unsuitability to be "the" feature back.

However when you compare games in which Maroney split carries nearly 50/50 with Dillon his YPC grows to a respectable 4.22. Similarly Maroney was enjoying success earlier in 2007 when Morris was there to help shoulder the load. But by himself, Maroney has struggled, thus the 3.04 ypc over the last 5 games. Glad I could help explain the methodology to you. :) Let's be honest with ourselves people, it's not a disaster if Maroney is only suited to be a good #2 RB, you just need to find another RB to take over the #1 role, and you'll likely find that Maroney should be fairly productive, and comfortable in his sidekick RB role.

Sorry but your analysis is kind of funny. You have no concept of sample size and choose to demand that the statistics you chose prove what you want them to prove. In the real world it doesn't work like that. Just like your useless poll that you use to prove something that doesn't exist.

We do not have enough of anything to judge Maroney yet, that is the ONLY FACT. Why don't you go STUDY the rest of the NFL. Come back and show us how many "bad carries" Maroney has (say less than 3 yards) vs. other good rb's. Do something other than cherry pick a certain stat and demand that it proves your theory.

You have been debunked time and time again, and you ignore all valid points. You cherry pick posts to quote as well to argue what you want to argue. Do some studying, come back with a thoughtful analysis that helps your case and quit trying to claim your THEORY as FACT.

PS: This is why a lot of people don't like statistics, because some people cherry-pick them and analyze them horribly.

Actually the poll is very straightforward. Will Maroney gain 100 yards vs the Jets (#30 ranked run D) and the Dolphins (#32 ranked run D)? Considering that these teams are two of the WORST run D teams in ALL of the NFL, both AFC and NFC conferences, it would actually make a LOT of sense to give them a heavy dose of the run game.

This poll is actually not meant to prove anything. The Poll is a measuring device to see how people perceive Maroney's chances of achieving the above goal. So far the NUMBERS indicate that 65% of the voters don't believe that Maroney can get the job done against these cellar dweller teams that happen to have horrific run defenses.

To reverse this trend, Maroney merely has to perform well against the WORST run defenses the league has to offer. That's a pretty easy way to redeem the fans' confidence in him.

Really, you don't seem to get it, and you're putting on the blinders.

The Patriots haven't run the ball a lot recently, so we'd have to assume they're going to change that trend for Maroney to go over 100 yards in each game. Also, I like how you changed the meaning/wording of your poll after the fact. Originally you only asked if "Maroney will", and since people have voted that he won't you've turned it into them saying he can't. That's two entirely different things, and I'm sure if you had changed the wording of the original poll the results would be different.

Frankly, you're proving yourself to be more and more like NSA with every word you type, and your man crush for McFadden is simply ridiculous.

What have you done for me lately Maroney? Why 3.04 ypc in the last 5 games.

Maybe it was the relatively few number of carries coming against the best rushing defenses in the NFL?

My word, how obtuse can you be?

Shows how confident Pats nation is in the passing game.
The damn question is WILL not CAN. All signs point to a philosophy that likes to spread the field and pass. Why fight for 4 yards running in the trenches when you don't HAVE TO ?

You guys are getting really annoying. This isn't even a debate between those who do like Maroney and those who don't. It's a debate between simple-minded, agenda-driven, nit-picky, always-complaining ignoramus' like you and the rest of us.

Exactly! The lack of objectivity presented by some board members of late has been more than pathetic, and this board hasn't been as fun of late because of them.

I don't believe Maroney will go over the 100 either game on the ground but through the air he hasn't been bad as a back 4 catches 116 yards 29 average per catch thats not bad! We are a passing team so we need a back who can catch he can so he is not bad for what we need.

4.2 isn't awful average every 3 runs is more than enough for a first down (excluding penalties) Ruggie bush has 3.7 average Warrick Dunn 3.1 Frank Gore 4.2 there are many more with similar stats and very few runners have greater than a 4.5 average that sample is all from people who have rushed more than 100 times but less than 200.

LT has a 4.5 average on 265 so I didn't include him at a quick glance over some top RB's. I only seen AP have a much better average at 6.1 with 198 carries and Chester Taylor with 5.3 That may or may not say something about them as back or the way the vikings run.

You have been debunked time and time again, and you ignore all valid points.

Debunked based on what? Maroney's production on the ground as a RB is surpassed by 37 OTHER runningbacks in the National Football League. Considering that Maroney is the Patriots #1 RB and that there are only 32 teams in the NFL, his production clearly puts him in #2 RB territory. I don't get why you are so obssessed to prove that Maroney is a #1 RB when he clearly doesn't have the numbers to support such a belief.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

It reminds me a lot of the Reche Caldwell defenders last year and how there were massive threads about him. And this year after he gets CUT, not a single peep or mea culpa from his former supporters. I'm not particularly worried whether you believe the FACTS, this will all be resolved sometime in 2008. Until then we will have to survive with Maroney at tailback. But that doesn't mean we have to delude ourselves into think that he is something better than what he has shown himself to be.

The Patriots haven't run the ball a lot recently, so we'd have to assume they're going to change that trend for Maroney to go over 100 yards in each game.

Here's a great reason for the Patriots to run the football, they are facing the #30 and #32 ranked run defenses in the NFL respectively. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back