PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we want Javon Walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Walker is getting an unfair rap about his character. Favre threw him under the bus, and with Favre comes the fans and the media. Today on ESPN it said the Packers could be looking for a 2nd or 3rd for him, and if we could work out a reasonable contract extension for him then yes I would love to have Javon Walker. The guy is a playmaker. He would provide immediate impact at a position of need. I also think it would help in our negotiations with Branch, because he would no longer be considered the #1 WR. Having the two of them would be nightmares for defenses. Espeecially with Watson and Caldwell in the mix as well.

Today on ESPN Salisbury said that Walker is one of the biggest gentlemen he has met in the NFL. I was suprised to hear that because he is sort of being made out as your classic egotistical wideout jerk.

Well at least I havnt heard him say "Get your Popcorn ready!"...so maybe he aint as bad as some...However the Pats have showed no interest in him which means we will trade for him on draft day

I live in Wisconsin and the local media reported the Packer's asking price is 2 number 2's for Walker.

SamBamsFan said:
You kind of cut off the message. I said that they were cheap (in re: to the rest of NFL teams) in certain areas of their roster, so that they could spend on other areas. This is part of their "value" theory. If you want I'll throw you a link to prove my statement.

I understand they have a value system. Just because they value postion A more than position B doesn't make the cheap in that position. They stick to it so they can bring in people like a Harrison, Colvin and Dillon. And so they can re-sign Brady and Seymour. It's also the reason they lose players like Given and Vinatieri. But I will take the end result which is three Lombardis in the last five years. And they are well positioned for more. In the end you wont see the Patriots having a fire sale like the Titans a few years ago and what the Jets are going through.

Willie55 said:
I understand they have a value system. Just because they value postion A more than position B doesn't make the cheap in that position. They stick to it so they can bring in people like a Harrison, Colvin and Dillon. And so they can re-sign Brady and Seymour. It's also the reason they lose players like Given and Vinatieri. But I will take the end result which is three Lombardis in the last five years. And they are well positioned for more. In the end you wont see the Patriots having a fire sale like the Titans a few years ago and what the Jets are going through.
I don't think by any means that BB & Co. have the wrong idea. Replace the word "cheap", with "they are willing to underpay vis a vis the NFL average" and see if that works better for you.

SamBamsFan said:
I don't think by any means that BB & Co. have the wrong idea. Replace the word "cheap", with "they are willing to underpay vis a vis the NFL average" and see if that works better for you.

I find this to be inaccurate, and there have been numerous threads here debunking this concept. Efficiency and fiscal responsibility, all the while spending to the extent of regulations, is neither cheap nor underpaying.

Flying Fungi said:
I find this to be inaccurate, and there have been numerous threads here debunking this concept. Efficiency and fiscal responsibility, all the while spending to the extent of regulations, is neither cheap nor underpaying.
Hey FF - Why don't you read the thread from the start. All I said was that they has a value system where they paid less at some positions- which allowed them to pay more at others which they valued more greatly (is that a word?).

Anyway, I don't think that they place a strong enough value on the receiver position, understanding the current salary demands of J Walker, to trade for him, knowing that they can substitute most of his production through lower (not 1st) draft & free agent selections.

If Walker is going to be dealt for 2006 picks I would expect it to be tomorrow, maybe Friday morning.

A team would be foolish to finalize a deal before giving the guy a physical with the injury he is coming off. Trading for him on draft day for picks that will be made that day without having your medical staff thoroughly look him over first is a big risk.

SamBamsFan said:
Hey FF - Why don't you read the thread from the start. All I said was that they has a value system where they paid less at some positions- which allowed them to pay more at others which they valued more greatly (is that a word?).

Hay dude--relax--I have read the thread in its entirety. I will go further in saying that I don't agree with the characterization of them paying less or more because it is all relative to league averages. And as league averages go, since the 'salary cap era' commenced, 90+% of the league is failing in their cap management (taking Super Bowl Championships as the measuring stick).

Whether it is semantics or not, the comparison should probably be of the majority of teams poorly distributing their salaries in relation to the NEP, not vice versa.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add to this that you would have to assume that Walker would be delighted to come here since he is leaving an organization that he hates and goes directly to one of the top organizations in all of sports and immediately can become an impact player on a championship caliber team. He may not put up the same numbers as he could for a different team, but his impact could be huge.

Flying Fungi said:
Hay dude--relax--I have read the thread in its entirety. I will go further in saying that I don't agree with the characterization of them paying less or more because it is all relative to league averages. And as league averages go, since the 'salary cap era' commenced, 90+% of the league is failing in their cap management (taking Super Bowl Championships as the measuring stick).

Whether it is semantics or not, the comparison should probably be of the majority of teams poorly distributing their salaries in relation to the NEP, not vice versa.

I know, I know. But all I was saying was that since Belichick arrived in Foxboro they have not paid near the NFl average in interior OL, WR, S, And St. This allowed Belichick to form the Pats as we know them them now. Paying premiums for those positions that he feels to be premium. Not paying a premium for those positions that are more "replaceable". And always fielding a premium team. But this history, I feel, will still nix any possible deal for J walker, or drafting a receiver in the 1st round .

Last edited:
The way I look at it is 6 picks in the first 4 rounds - if we can package some of the later round picks to move up a bit in the 4th, I'd be thrilled with that. This is supposedly the deepest draft in years and if we could get 4 solid ballplayers out of those first 6 picks, they'd come cheaper and we could lock them up longer. JMO.

SamBamsFan said:
I know, I know. But all I was saying was that since Belichick arrived in Foxboro they have not paid near the NFl average in interior OL, WR, S, And St. This allowed Belichick to form the Pats as we know them them now. Paying premiums for those positions that he feels to be premium. Not paying a premium for those positions that are more "replaceable". And always fielding a premium team. But this history, I feel, will still nix any possible deal for J walker, or drafting a receiver in the 1st round .

Were the Pats not going to pay 5 yrs. $18 mil for Givens. Not bad for a number 2 receiver.

DarMan said:
I live in Wisconsin and the local media reported the Packer's asking price is 2 number 2's for Walker.
Good luck with that will be lucky to get a 3 and a 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back