PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we pup-ir with an eye to the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I don't have any idea how much it would cost to IR a player for the year. That is, how much it would count towards the cap.

So many draftniks (myself included) are drooling over the fact that we have a chance to draft Michael Brewster (C, Ohio State) next year. But the reality is, we might be forced to go into the top 20 because so many teams, especially teams that we hate (Giants and Ravens), are also looking for a Center. That would mean it could cost us a first, second plus another pick.

With that in mind should we IR certain players so that in next year's draft we have fewer holes to fill with the picks remaining and the fact that BB may well trade a first and a second to bolster up the number of draft picks we have in 2013?

For instance, quite a few members have mentioned dumping or trading certain wide receivers this year. I was wondering whether we would be better off pup-ing or IR-ing certain players because when you look at Branch and Ochocinco (at their age), they're one injury away from being gone for good. Plus, it crossed my mind, if we do win the Super Bowl this year, would either of them return the year after?

Do we want to try to replace Tate or somebody of that ilk next year with a fourth rounder? Maybe even IR-ing one of our new TE's, giving us the flexibility to use Hernandez as either a TE or an outside receiver. And, as many of you know, I've kept an eye on Duenta Williams, a Safety who suffered a leg injury this year but was considered by many as a Top 4 or 5 Safety. Would it be worth our while to sign and IR Williams with the hope that he could be our 4th Safety next year and not cost us a draft pick?

I know you guys out there will have the answers and I'm dying to hear them. Thanks again.

It appears doubtful that we keep any players to fill holes for next year. Instead it appears FO will make some trades this preseason to bolster the team for this season. Maybe O-LINE or SECONDARY it's all good and if that's the case, we'll need very little come draftime next year.

So many draftniks (myself included) are drooling over the fact that we have a chance to draft Michael Brewster (C, Ohio State) next year. But the reality is, we might be forced to go into the top 20 because so many teams, especially teams that we hate (Giants and Ravens), are also looking for a Center. That would mean it could cost us a first, second plus another pick.

Brewster is too high profile which means he'd cost a ton, we need someone under the radar, a diamond in the rough who needs some polish, that's where the bargains are found. For this I nominate Ben Jones out of Georgia!

slideshow_1029991_gafoot.0412_ba22.JPG

He's shorter than Brewster (6'3 as opposed to 6'5) and heavier, which gives him a lower center of gravity and better density, making him more likely to handle the bigger nose tackles in the league. He's also a bit chubby, which will likely decrease his value in the eyes of people who don't know any better.

I didn't keep up with Ben Jones last year, but previous to that he was considered the top center talent. Last year must have been a down year for him, but he's a great value if you can get him 2nd round, and bypass spending the 1st on a guy like Brewster who doesn't have the center experience of Jones.

He could easily turn into the much better pro prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft