PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need a new kicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EwanSellars

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I dont know if this is just me but it seems like gostowski isnt what he used to be. he missed important field goals during the season and it seemed like almost all of his kicks werent making it to the endzone or werent getting touchbacks. Is it time to draft a new kicker. Caleb sturgis or the guy from FSU? I think its time

What a terrible thread.

honestly what makes this a terrible thread ive watched the patriots the whole season and thats what ive noticed i dont see whats wrong with putting out an idea

He was 29 of 35 in the regular season and 4 of 4 in the playoffs, good not great. His kickoffs are generally good. Also, he hasn't missed a FG since Week 13. He did miss some important kicks earlier in the season (e.g., against the Cardinals). But I would still be very comfortable with Gostkowski in a must-make situation.

I agree that it isn't a terrible thread. It's worth discussing, even though I'm fine with Gostowski. We're paying a kicker top 3 kicker money who is just an average kicker, no incredible leg strength or accuracy.

This just in...It was windy yesterday and me thinks that the kickoff team didn't want to give Jacoby Jones a full head of steam.

Ghost didn't have a Ghost year but hes the least of this teams problems.

good points im not saying we need a new kicker i was just putting the idea out there to see what people think

Everyone who reads my posts knows that I've never been sold on Gostkowski in the clutch, but he's among the best in the League day by day. Yesterday's wind gusts made it difficult for anyone who had to put the ball in the air: K or QB.

Bottom Line: yeah, I'd rather have someone else, but the Pats have a lot more urgent needs to address, so I'd put this one on the back burner. I'd maybe bring an UDFA in for a tryout or, if an outstanding prospect is still on the board in the sixth round, I'd think about it. Otherwise, no.

I dont know if this is just me but it seems like gostowski isnt what he used to be. he missed important field goals during the season and it seemed like almost all of his kicks werent making it to the endzone or werent getting touchbacks. Is it time to draft a new kicker. Caleb sturgis or the guy from FSU? I think its time
Go to practice squad Do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars.

as rough a year as ghost had, hes not the reason that the patriots put up 13 points last night.

Pretty much every kicker has had a down year or two during their career. Even Adam Vinatieri, back in the day. But yes, let's all jerk our knees and expend scarce resources to replace him, because if only we had a better kicker those Ravens wouldn't have stood a chance.

Wind or no wind, there have been numerous occasions (including last night's game) in the past 3 weeks where BB has neglected for a manageable FG (49 yards?) and punted/gone for it instead. Now, I don't know if this has to do with no confidence in Gost or if because of the weather but it is interesting. It goes without saying that we brought in some competition for Gost this season....

I don't know why everyone is so crabby today, the post never implied that the reason why we lost yesterday was Gostkowski! That said, I noticed that all of his kick offs were higher than normal despite which direction, leading me to believe it was a strategy to prevent the big return.

Gost was putting air under the ball on purpose, and placing his kicks. To limit Jones. It was good strategy. And it worked. What's to complain about?

Yep, if pats had justin tucker, we'd be talking about the 49ers this week. No doubt. Gost couldn't cover Anquan Boldin or make any deep passes down the field. Disgusting.

Didn't Gost lead the league in scoring?

Didn't Gost lead the league in scoring?

Yep, 6th highest total for a kicker in NFL history (153). Also a perfect 4-4 in the playoffs this year and 90% (18-20) in his career.

4 of his 6 missed kicks were in games that the Pats scored 59, 52 and 49 points, not exactly game on the line misses.

Part of the question as always is if the player is worth the cap space he occupies. If there is another kicker out there who has as good or superior performance at less cost, then he should be evaluated. I don't get why people believe it's ridiculous to look at options. It's like most of you feel like Gostkowski is untouchable or something.

What a terrible thread.
You don't have to agree with something for it to be a legitimate question or concern.

Rookies with leg strength like Blair Walsh and Greg Zuerlein make these threads feasible. Personally, there's greater needs than Ghost.

I suspect that some of the problems were on the snapping side, not kicking. My evidence includes:

• One quote where Gostkowski seemed to throw the snap/hold combo under the bus.
  • Other cases where Mesko seemed to corral errant snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST