PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need a new kicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if this is just me but it seems like gostowski isnt what he used to be. he missed important field goals during the season and it seemed like almost all of his kicks werent making it to the endzone or werent getting touchbacks. Is it time to draft a new kicker. Caleb sturgis or the guy from FSU? I think its time

It's you. Gostkowski missed two FGs that might have meant something in games. The First, was actually GOOD based on the rules. So that is ONE FG that he missed that would have changed the outcome of a game. If you are going to hold him accountable for that game, then you must also want to get rid of Brady for his screw-ups during the season.

Add to that, the Patriots were 4th best in kick returns allowed. This idea that almost all of his kicks weren't making the endzone is your fallacy. The guy had 52 touchbacks and 60 returned on 112 kicks (most in the league ) . His average kick was 64.9. The average return was 20.5 yards.

Gost could have kicked TBs every time but didn't. Why? Because there were plenty of times he got a lot of air under it and the special teams unit made the tackle after returns of less than 10 yards. Just like in the play-off game against Baltimore.

Now, people talk about Blair Walsh, Justin Tucker and Greg Zeuerlein and are awed by their strong legs, but lets look at the results they produce.

Tucker - 49 TBs on 89 kicks. Avg. of 67.4. Avg Ret: 23.2
Walsh- 53 TBs on 86 kicks. Avg. of 68.1. Avg Ret: 24.1
Zeuerlein - 37TBs on 68 kicks. Avg of 66.1. Avg Ret. 24.3

Now, for FGs:
Walsh - 35 of 38. Missed 1 from 30-39 and 2 from 40-49. Hit all 10 from 50+.
Tucker - 30-33. All 3 misses from the 40-49 range. 4-4 from 50+.
Zeuerlein - 23 of 31. 2 misses from 30-39. 6 misses from 50+.

And we all know that Tucker should have had another miss from 30-39 against the Pats since his "Game Winner" really wasn't one in the first match-up.

I am not sure what planet you have been on since 2006;) (when Ghost joined Pats). Do the names, Robbie Gould, Neil Rackers, Graham, Suisham and a couple others (who escape me at the moment) MEAN NOTHING ??? seriously, I think you are forgetting dude.

Robbie Gould was here in 2005 and Vinatieri beat him out. Gould was signed by the Bears and the rest is history. He never competed against Gost.

Only Shane Graham was here in a pre-season to actually challenge Gostkowski. And it was the season after Gostkowski had injured his leg.

In my recollection there was only like ONE SINGLE YEAR during his tenure that BB hasnt brought in K competition. At least at the 95 player roster point. Some years he cut them down quicker than others. In multiple years he has had guys in for tryouts during the year.

This is true. He's had kickers in during camp, though it's questionable whether any of them were a true challenge to Gostkowski beyond Graham.

I think there are more one-time Patriots who are starting Ks in the league than are for any other team.

Vinatieri, Graham, and Gould. Who else?

This below just from THIS YEAR:

From 2010:

BB is one guy who is going to do his due diligence and bring in competition at EVERY POSITION. And he has consistenly done so at K too.

so that said; on the performance side of argument: Ghost is UNDOUBTEDLY in the top 10 in the league. You can argue for top 5 or even top 3 (if you start throwing in home stadium comparison data). maybe you can make an argument he is overpaid; but IMO - no.

So knowing BBs nature and his overall performance so far; it is kind of a silly thread by the OP. If you say you want to go back and ask for a rebate for some bad kicks; ok - but that aint the way the nfl salary system works. There are NO NEGATIVE BONUSES.

I agree that Gost is one of the top K in the league. I've posted the stats to support it.. Others are all gaga over the "new kickers" in the league who haven't shown to be clutch yet. Well, except for Tucker..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST