PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need 6 wide receivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Receivers

In 2007, we had one of the best offenses in the history of the nfl, with similar offensive players. Let's examine the importance of the #5 WR, the #6 WR and the #3 TE in catching the ball.

#5 WR ZERO catches
#6 WR ZERO catches
#3 TE ONE catch

Unless they are returning the ball or are critical on special teams, there is no reason for more than four wide receivers to active. Even in 4 receiver sets, a TE and Faulk are often one of the receivers.

I suspect that we will have all three TE's active because of their roles as both receivers and blockers.
===========

To be clear, I am fine with have a 5th and 6th position receiver on the 53-man squad, but that is only as protection in case of injuries and because of the need to develop players.

If both Edelman and Tate are ahead of Holt in the depth chart by the last preseason game, I would think that we would cut him. We don't need Holt as an inactive insurance policy. On the other hand, I don't expect that to happen.

It is rather amazing how many of us thought of the receiver position to be a major weakness going into the offseason. Now, Welker and Tate are coming back strong from injuries. We have added free agents Crumpler and Holt. And we have drafted Grankowski, Hernandez and Price. Great work Belichick!!!!!!

What do you think is the difference between the OFFENSE of the 2010 offense and the OFFENSE of the 2007 patriots?

Age and injuries with the veterans

Lack of experience with many younger players

Speed at WR3

McDaniels v. O'Brien

Opponent experience against the offense

If you can find it Ii think it would be very helpful. I have a feeling that the success rate would have been quite low. I seem to recall way too many runs straight ahead and also too many plays on 3rd and less than three where Brady was sent into the shotgun, taking away any surprise factor and allowing opposing defenses to have control of the play by us telegraphing a pass play was coming. Very little play action was used, IMO.

Actually, the majority of the 3rd and short plays in the shotgun last year saw a draw play up the A Gap to Faulk.

Would you be surprised to know that our % of running plays on 3rd and less than 3 was the 4th HIGHEST in the NFL?
Unfortunately I can not find a sight that tells me what our success rate was on them.

That probably says as much about how BB likes his chances on 4th and 2 as it does about how he perceives the relative strengths of the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back