PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent question. Unfortunately, I think we'll have to wait for awhile to see if Vollmer can make it back this year. I wouldn't expect much news for at least a few weeks, but I feel the same about Lewis as well. I think the week after the bye will provide us a better idea as far as live gametime play, although it's quite possible that someone like Lewis will begin practicing within the next week or so.
If Volmer is actually suffering from a degenerative hip issue (arthritis), then the issue with him is going to be pain management.

So it just might be the Pats are going to try and get him through the end of this season in as many games as possible. Having a relatively healthy Volmer ready to play in the playoffs would still be an upgrade over the improved play of Marcus Cannon. So if the Pats can squeeze out about 6 games (including the playoffs) out of Sebastian, and then let him retire to his hip replacement, it would help the OL.

That being said, if the hip inhibits Volmer's play in any way (other than pain), then we would be better off staying with Cannon and the way he's been playing. Volmer played through whatever problems he had last season, but it affected his play by the playoffs, and he wasn't the same all pro RT we've come to expect. I'd much rather have a healthy Cannon out there than Volmer if he is diminished in any way.

If Volmer is actually suffering from a degenerative hip issue (arthritis), then the issue with him is going to be pain management.

So it just might be the Pats are going to try and get him through the end of this season in as many games as possible. Having a relatively healthy Volmer ready to play in the playoffs would still be an upgrade over the improved play of Marcus Cannon. So if the Pats can squeeze out about 6 games (including the playoffs) out of Sebastian, and then let him retire to his hip replacement, it would help the OL.

That being said, if the hip inhibits Volmer's play in any way (other than pain), then we would be better off staying with Cannon and the way he's been playing. Volmer played through whatever problems he had last season, but it affected his play by the playoffs, and he wasn't the same all pro RT we've come to expect. I'd much rather have a healthy Cannon out there than Volmer if he is diminished in any way.
Vollmer apparently had shoulder surgery. I thought it would be possible for him to return but that is unlikely now. Hope I'm wrong though and he can return for playoffs at least in a backup role in case of emergency.

What is the latest an IR player can be brought on to the 53?

IIRC, the Arizona Cards had hopes of bringing RB Chris Johnson back in time for the SB, had they made it. He was not eligible to return prior to that game.

No max for IR after out for 6 weeks. 5 week window for pre-season PUP. Vollmer, Lewis, Jackson all on PUP.

I think they will wait as long as possible and make the decision based on where the greatest need is.

So for PUP is that 5 + 3 for 8 being last opportunity to activate?

So for PUP is that 5 + 3 for 8 being last opportunity to activate?

Yep, that should be the window after the first 6 weeks of the season. A lot of leeway.

Teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.
Physically unable to perform - Wikipedia

Got it now. Need to wait the first 6 weeks, then a 5 week window opens. Once the player starts practicing they must either go on the 53, revert to IR. I was curious mostly because of the talk about Volmer.

Pats have until week 14 at the latest to activate him.

I love Dion, but Im in no hurry to get him back. Hes really only an upgrade over white if hes his old explosive self-or at least close to it. But this is very early to return from that injury. AP was a glaring exception-most guys dont come all the way back til the NEXT year-and its only been 11 months. That being said, if hes 90% of his old bad self by playoff time-thats yet another weapon for Mr. Brady. Pretty obvious the pats are going to extremely careful w. Dion-im guessing they bring him along VERY slowly, limiting his snaps. This year they have the personnel to do that. But man, he was fun to watch before he got hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back