PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dion Lewis is an enigma....in college, he earned a reputation for durability and having tons of carries per game. Now he seems to be one of the more injury-prone players on our roster

Could be NFL speed and strength catching up to his small body size...or just his playing style putting him at risk
A three down back at 5'8" 195 lbs ..... the math doesn't add up. Who can say the punishment Lewis took in his few NE games led to his non-contact injury ...but going forward...no way BB leans on this guy like he did last year. NE has invested serious $$$$ in Lewis and he is a difference making asset who will be needed to break down the best defenses. With Lewis running pass patterns vs. Denver last year instead of White....Pats would have been headed to the SB.
I expect Lewis to be coddled, sheltered, even a last resort.... until it is absolutely necessary for him to be on the field. We've seen how unspectacular rehabbed knees perform...Edelman / Gronk.......when pushed on the field before true health. Lewis should be placed in BB's back pocket until he is ready for the money games

Last edited:
Ok, let me post this also here from today's Reiss' article:

1. Running back Dion Lewis is eligible to begin practicing this week after opening the year on the physically unable to perform list, and here is what I’ve been told about his status: He’s made positive progress from a second surgery on his left knee to the point that “it’s possible” he could begin practicing this week. At the same time, given the setback Lewis had with his rehab in the spring (it wasn’t specifically his ACL, but a different part of the knee), the likelihood is that coach Bill Belichick is going to be cautious with him, so it would be no surprise if Lewis isn’t playing in a game until after the early November bye week. Once the Patriots decide to have Lewis practice, they have up to three weeks before having to officially move him up to the 53-man roster.

Patriots' Dion Lewis, Tre' Jackson eligible to return from PUP list this week

1. Running back Dion Lewis is eligible to begin practicing this week after opening the year on the physically unable to perform list, and here is what I’ve been told about his status: He’s made positive progress from a second surgery on his left knee to the point that “it’s possible” he could begin practicing this week. At the same time, given the setback Lewis had with his rehab in the spring (it wasn’t specifically his ACL, but a different part of the knee), the likelihood is that coach Bill Belichick is going to be cautious with him, so it would be no surprise if Lewis isn’t playing in a game until after the early November bye week. Once the Patriots decide to have Lewis practice, they have up to three weeks before having to officially move him up to the 53-man roster.

November? Really?? I know it's not his fault, but Lewis is such a tease right now

A three down back at 5'8" 195 lbs ..... the math doesn't add up. Who can say the punishment Lewis took in his few NE games led to his non-contact injury ...but going forward...no way BB leans on this guy like he did last year. NE has invested serious $$$$ in Lewis and he is a difference making asset who will be needed to break down the best defenses. With Lewis running pass patterns vs. Denver last year instead of White....Pats would have been headed to the SB.
I expect Lewis to be coddled, sheltered, even a last resort.... until it is absolutely necessary for him to be on the field. We've seen how unspectacular rehabbed knees perform...Edelman / Gronk.......when pushed on the field before true health. Lewis should be placed in BB's back pocket until he is ready for the money games

Well, if he can play, let him play. He needs the snaps. Though I agree with you for the most part....just got to get him ready

So today is the day that the PUP guys can begin their 3 week practice window. I wonder which ones, if any start practicing today?

The PUP rules are: you are on PUP for at least the first six weeks, then anytime after that you can begin practicing. Once you start to practice, you have three weeks to either go on the active roster, or go on IR, or get cut.

It will be interesting to see when Leis starts practicing. It would be nice to get Jackson back, Mason is doing a decent job, but Jackson is still better at this point.

Has there been any word on Vollmer?

The Patriots are incredibly deep at the skill positions right now (knocking on wood.) The Bengals crowded the middle of the field in the short to intermediate routes yesterday and pretty much took away Edelman and Amendola. James White (8 receptions) and Gronk/Bennett (12 receptions combined) took care of business.

Lewis should get his knee back to 100% while James White is handling that role out of the backfield. An ACL takes a year to come back from, and he's got time on his side right now.

This is not necessarily a bad news .. might still mean close to return ..

Last year he was great, he reminded me of barry sanders, but and i'm afraid hes going to get hurt again after a few games. So while i understand the enthusiasm i wouldn't count on him week to week.

Undt vas Herr Sea-Bass?!?

Although Belichick is of the "football players play football" mindset, I think with the current personnel at RB and on offense in general, Belichick would see no need to rush him back - unless there's a rash of injuries and he needs Lewis to win

Aside from that, the agenda for this kid is likely to let him get himself in game shape, not take needless chances and hope he hits his peak health and performance for the playoffs

Whether that means practicing officially and hitting the 53 man roster sooner than later, well, that decision is in good hands with Belichick

CvQfta_XgAAPWy0.jpg

Dion teasing us on Instagram that he may return soon. First time since summer he's done that.

It will be interesting to see when Lewis starts practicing. It would be nice to get Jackson back, Mason is doing a decent job, but Jackson is still better at this point.

Really? I'm surprised to hear this. Some here actually felt as though Jackson could've been a surprise cut this past summer. I'd be interested in knowing how many other posters feel that Jackson is better than Mason at this point in time.

Has there been any word on Vollmer?
Excellent question. Unfortunately, I think we'll have to wait for awhile to see if Vollmer can make it back this year. I wouldn't expect much news for at least a few weeks, but I feel the same about Lewis as well. I think the week after the bye will provide us a better idea as far as live gametime play, although it's quite possible that someone like Lewis will begin practicing within the next week or so.

tre jackson, sebastian vollmer and dion lewis....... quality, quality and quality..........

There's no need to rush him back. Blount and White are a fine enough tandem. Lewis adds something special, but the offense is already dynamic enough without him. Come the playoffs, we'll be thankful for that little something extra being fresh. It would have made all the difference last year, I'm sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft