PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did you sell your season ticket on StubHub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that the Pats will revoke the season tickets of anyone who sold their tickets. I can't see what they can do to people who bought tickets other than maybe ban them from ever getting season tickets to the name and address listed.

I also think there will be a class action suit by the people who lose their tickets too.

I've been on the waiting list for over 4 years so far.

The Pats have an agreement with TicketMaster. Only STH's and those on the waiting list can buy tickets through the TicketExchange program.

Although the tickets are at face value a fee is added (I think it's around $7 per ticket) and you can only use a Visa card to purchase those tickets.

The Pats are trying to create a monopoly.

This where I DO have a problem with what the Pats are doing. So basically if you are not a season ticket holder or on the waiting list you realistically cannot see the Pats play at home if you are not one of those people or know one of those people.

I moved from MA quite awhile ago, but still love the Pats and all of the other local teams. I spend a lot of $$$ every year in merchandise and Sunday ticket to see my Pats every Sunday. So if I take a trip and want to see the Pats at home I am SOL? Thats BS! That IS a monopoly and I do have a problem with that. I will not be on the waiting list because I don't live there but I have been a Pats fan for the better part of 35 years. I would be severly pissed if I took a trip during the season and could not see the Pats at home...and I think any fan would. If the place was completely full of people WITH season tickets then that is one thing, but saying that only season ticket hlders or waiting list people have a right to a decent seat in the place is not right.

I also do not agree that if you let someone go on your season ticket and they cause problems then you lose your season tickets. I could see repeat problems of course, but I have read to many instances of people losing 25 year tickets over one person that had a small problem, not some bug fight or anything.

IMO the Pats need to tone it dowm a little they are getting to crazy with this stuff and I usually support owners controling their product..but this is over the top to me.

This where I DO have a problem with what the Pats are doing. So basically if you are not a season ticket holder or on the waiting list you realistically cannot see the Pats play at home if you are not one of those people or know one of those people.

I moved from MA quite awhile ago, but still love the Pats and all of the other local teams. I spend a lot of $$$ every year in merchandise and Sunday ticket to see my Pats every Sunday. So if I take a trip and want to see the Pats at home I am SOL? Thats BS! That IS a monopoly and I do have a problem with that. I will not be on the waiting list because I don't live there but I have been a Pats fan for the better part of 35 years. I would be severly pissed if I took a trip during the season and could not see the Pats at home...and I think any fan would. If the place was completely full of people WITH season tickets then that is one thing, but saying that only season ticket hlders or waiting list people have a right to a decent seat in the place is not right.

I also do not agree that if you let someone go on your season ticket and they cause problems then you lose your season tickets. I could see repeat problems of course, but I have read to many instances of people losing 25 year tickets over one person that had a small problem, not some bug fight or anything.

IMO the Pats need to tone it dowm a little they are getting to crazy with this stuff and I usually support owners controling their product..but this is over the top to me.

Great post. I agree 100% and have had season tickets since 1992.

I've had people sitting in my section (who were not season ticket holders) telling me to sit down and be quiet during games. I can't say much for the fear that security may get involved and I would then lose my tickets.

I hope the counter suit by stubhub wins.

Last edited:
Great post. I agree 100% and have had season tickets since 1992.

I hope the counter suit by stubhub wins.
Amen to what you and PatsBlue posted. I too am a longtime Pats fan who lives outside the area and have only been able to see a game at Gillette thanks to a Patsfan poster who had an extra one. The only other times I've seen them I had to use stubhub to get tickets. Before anyone condemns the amorphous 'scalper' on stubhub, remember that it is the seller on stubhub who sets the price. Stubhub takes a 10% commission from the seller and a 10% add on from the buyer.
The Pats may be able to get the names of the sellers on Stubhub (to be decided by the court) but there is no way they will get the names of the buyers as there is no privity of contract. Just my opinion......

Amen to what you and PatsBlue posted. I too am a longtime Pats fan who lives outside the area and have only been able to see a game at Gillette thanks to a Patsfan poster who had an extra one. The only other times I've seen them I had to use stubhub to get tickets. Before anyone condemns the amorphous 'scalper' on stubhub, remember that it is the seller on stubhub who sets the price. Stubhub takes a 10% commission from the seller and a 10% add on from the buyer.
The Pats may be able to get the names of the sellers on Stubhub (to be decided by the court) but there is no way they will get the names of the buyers as there is no privity of contract. Just my opinion......

I've purchased tickets on stubhub for friends of mine who live out of state. If the Pats even think about revoking my season tickets because I bought them I will in a lawyers office within 10 minutes!

I've purchased tickets on stubhub for friends of mine who live out of state. If the Pats even think about revoking my season tickets because I bought them I will in a lawyers office within 10 minutes!

I really doubt they would go after buyers - only season ticket holders that are selling for profit.

I see no reason not to go after the season ticket holders that sell their tickets as we do have a 50,000 waiting list.

I really doubt they would go after buyers - only season ticket holders that are selling for profit.

I see no reason not to go after the season ticket holders that sell their tickets as we do have a 50,000 waiting list.

I still can't believe the judge ruled that the Pats could have the names of all sellers and buyers on stubhub.

The sellers I can see, but the buyers?

I still can't believe the judge ruled that the Pats could have the names of all sellers and buyers on stubhub.

The sellers I can see, but the buyers?

Makes no sense at all....

I would hate to see StubHub, eBay, etc. go away for tickets. I get to see a lot of out of town games that way. I'll pay top dollar for a ticket of my choosing. I don't care. I would never sell my tickets on there, but it's a free market. If someone is selling a season with the sole intention of making money, I'd prefer another person to purchase the tickets from the team for face who wants to be there. If someone just can't make a game or two and wants to maximize their profits and take a chunk of the price off the games they do go to, I'm cool with that. I can see both sides here.

I think the Pats have every right to say you can only resell tickets for face value.

The Patriots are in fact, selling season tickets at below free market prices. How do I know this? Well, if they were selling it at free market prices, there would be no waiting list. So they've been generous in the sense that they are selling tickets at 'affordable' prices. They could probably triple their prices, and still sell out every game.

One of the stipulations that the season ticket purchaser is agreeing to is that he'll only resell tickets at face value or less, and that he's responsible for any behavior that occurs in those seats. I think both are fair trade-offs in exchange for paying below free-market prices. And if a season ticket-holder disagrees, there's thousands of others who will sign up under those conditions.

Last edited:
I think the Pats have every right to say you can only resell tickets for face value.

The Patriots are in fact, selling season tickets at below free market prices. How do I know this? Well, if they were selling it at free market prices, there would be no waiting list. So they've been generous in the sense that they are selling tickets at 'affordable' prices. They could probably triple their prices, and still sell out every game.

One of the stipulations that the season ticket purchaser is agreeing to is that he'll only resell tickets at face value or less, and that he's responsible for any behavior that occurs in those seats. I think both are fair trade-offs in exchange for paying below free-market prices. And if a season ticket-holder disagrees, there's thousands of others who will sign up under those conditions.

Do you realize that the Patriots have the highest ticket prices in the NFL?

The Pats make money from every ticket sold through the ticketexchange agreement they have with ticketmaster.

Good Lord, while we disagree here, I could have used you when all the STHers in here were b*tching and moaning about the mandatory preseason games... :D

No arguement there....what was said was - will they go after a buyer that happens to have bought some for his brother visiting from out of town once or twice, when that buyer is also a season ticket holder??

Do you realize that the Patriots have the highest ticket prices in the NFL?

The Pats make money from every ticket sold through the ticketexchange agreement they have with ticketmaster.
And that's why, once scalping is legalized in Massachusetts, the Patriots will be forbidden by law to punish STHers who scalp via other means. The Patriots will not be allowed to establish a monopoly on the secondary market, so if they want to dabble there, it will be open competition.

Last edited:
No arguement there....what was said was - will they go after a buyer that happens to have bought some for his brother visiting from out of town once or twice, when that buyer is also a season ticket holder??
I think there would be quite the sh*tstorm if they did that... They probably just want to take away the tickets of career scalpers who's tickets are listed every week...

My guess is that the Pats will revoke the season tickets of anyone who sold their tickets.

My guess is that they'll revoke the tickets of anybody who treated his season tickets as a cash cow, selling most/all of them. That's what I'd do -- scare everybody straight, but not go after the guy who just sold one ticket.

I think there would be quite the sh*tstorm if they did that... They probably just want to take away the tickets of career scalpers who's tickets are listed every week...

Right, I agree. That would be off the charts and a public relations nightmare for them.

They have support for bagging the sellers, but the one or two time buyers.....man that would indeed be a sh+tstorm that the media would have a field day with. They sure don't need that kind of bad ink there in Foxboro.

I have tickets for seats 4-6 in my row. Seats 1-3 are owned by a ticket broker, so I never see the same people twice.

Maybe the Pats should go after the Ticket Brokers who own season tickets then sell them because they are "licensed" ticket brokers in the Commonwealth.

Well, fact is many teams are actually in bed with StubHub, encouraging their fans to resell the tickets there (even above face value). The Patriots are really on an island with this issue.

Yes, when I get e-mails from the Sox telling me to buy from StubHub I get a little perturbed they're encourage me to engage in illegal activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back