PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did you expected the Pats so 'aggressive' in free agency ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea of the players, but yes, I've been saying for awhile that the Pats would be agressive in free agency.

They learned the lessons illustrated last year very well (don't assume too many quality players will be left once the free agent feeding frenzy dies down)

- and whether by design or not, with half the teams having relatively little cap space as compared to last year, the Pats found themselves in a much better position to get the players they wanted this year, than last, when they would have been competing with every other team that had just gotten a bounty of cap space under the new CBA.

Last edited:
2 things came together. 1) Cap room 2) Players worthy of it

I don't buy the 'they learned' this or that, or were angry they lost the AFCC, and changed their approach talk.

I tend to agree with this, and I'd add a 1b: knowing that cap room was overflowing league-wide might have changed the strategic timing equation. Assuming the contract details pan out reasonably, it looks to me like the Pats played this one shrewdly. Got Adalius to sign fast without letting in other bidders, showed Kyle Brady some love before the losers in the Graham derby had a chance to regroup, and swooped in on an RFA receiver they liked while others were still sorting out the UFAs. No bidding wars this way.

Overall, I did expect the team to be much more aggressive than in past years, especially at LB. Gaping whole at linebacker + best crop of 3-4 linebackers ever in free agency makes for a pretty easy equation. Was there ANYONE on the FA market last season who would have improved the team nearly as much as Thomas?

But can I say I expected this much action this soon? Nah, who am I kidding.

I tend to agree with this, and I'd add a 1b: knowing that cap room was overflowing league-wide might have changed the strategic timing equation. Assuming the contract details pan out reasonably, it looks to me like the Pats played this one shrewdly. Got Adalius to sign fast without letting in other bidders, showed Kyle Brady some love before the losers in the Graham derby had a chance to regroup, and swooped in on an RFA receiver they liked while others were still sorting out the UFAs. No bidding wars this way.

Overall, I did expect the team to be much more aggressive than in past years, especially at LB. Gaping whole at linebacker + best crop of 3-4 linebackers ever in free agency makes for a pretty easy equation. Was there ANYONE on the FA market last season who would have improved the team nearly as much as Thomas?

But can I say I expected this much action this soon? Nah, who am I kidding.

who else besides AD is a good 3-4 lb?

What I'm wondering is if they would have done anything differently if they had managed to squeak by in the AFCCG and win the Super Bowl. My thinking is YES, as they would have had the same team regardless. But there is a chance that the pyschological blow of the Colts game propelled their aggression.

What I'm wondering is if they would have done anything differently if they had managed to squeak by in the AFCCG and win the Super Bowl. My thinking is YES, as they would have had the same team regardless. But there is a chance that the pyschological blow of the Colts game propelled their aggression.

I agree, it pi$$ed them off :singing:

I did not expect it whatsoever, but I'm glad it's happening!! I was on a plane this morning coming back from visiting the in-laws in FL; no access to computers or sports radio all week. I was just sitting there thinking how "now it's free agency and everyone will be signing all these great players...blah blah blah" when my husband came up and said, "The Pats released Dillon [which he thought was big news] and signed some linebacker from Baltimore? I said THEY GOT ADALIAS THOMAS?!?! My off-season blues have blown away!! It's only March 3rd and I am all psyched for next season already - I thought I had at least to the draft to start feeling this way. No matter - I'm good!!

i agree with you too

I expected them to make an aggressive pitch to A.D. but the fact that the were so aggressive in other areas was a surprise.

I just read the Sammy Morris article and it said that the Pats called one minute after midnight the first day of free agency...that is aggressive.

Nope. Expected the Franchise on Samuel, then 2-3 mid-tier signings.

I also have to note that every time I read the phrase "3-4 lb" I think quarter pounder. This might be because I am only marginally in charge of my appetite and caloric intake. But stop it.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes