PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did you expected the Pats so 'aggressive' in free agency ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad Patriots All Access isn't on tonight!

Unfreaken Real!!!!outmotherfreaken Standing!!!

I didn't see them going after a big time player with a big time contract, but I think its BB and SP showing how smart they are. They could have just stayed conservative within the system that they've used to obvious success before, but instead they see the league changing around them and know better than to be left behind. They know that with the cap growing by so much each year that they can afford a few big contracts to bring in big time players or to keep players from leaving.

I expected them to be aggressive, but no, not THIS aggressive. And not this early. But, to paraphrase from Pulp Fiction, we had to expect a reaction.

I didn't expect it to be done on the first day....but I half expected Thomas to be a Patriot since the Pro Bowl. I knew we'd make a much bigger splash than last year.

With all the cap space they had I expected them to do more than they have the last couple of years. What exactly I didn't know. But they weren't going to use all that space just signing guys to low priced deals. Unless they signed a lot of them. Like 100 -:) I didn't really know they'd go as high as Thomas's deal but there were bound to be a couple of 3 or 4 mill a year guys signed. You have to know BB must really like Thomas's versatile play. And I can't believe the guy played CB. A 270 lb CB. Dam.

true. i think that BB and SP liked him really a lot in order to be so resolutes

I thought they would be aggressive in the mid-level market. I really expected to see somebody like London Fletcher or Donnie Edwards brought in. Glad we got that A.D. guy instead! :rocker:

I didn't expect them to go this crazy but if you look at it, it makes sense. Last year they didn't expect to have extra cap room (until after the CBA meetings) so they were not prepared at all. This year it makes sense to sign players quickly because 1) you aren't letting anyone get away 2) you get to set the standard for contracts. Brilliant!

I wouldn't say we've really been that "aggressive" myself. We've made a big signing and a couple small ones. Certainly no more than expected.

I expected them to make a push for Thomas (weren't so sure they'd be successful, but you just KNEW at the Pro Bowl that BB was turning the charm on for Thomas). I am just surprised at this flurry of activity all in one day.

not surprised BB was probably pissed about the loss to the colts and knows they should have won that game, so theyre breaking 'tradition' to make sure it doesnt happen again

I expected them to go after Thomas but I didn't know enough about Thomas' goals/personality/etc to even begin to imagine he'd sign right here and now.
Inking the big fish will help reel in the other fishes :rocker:
I firmly believed they would, and will, do everything in their power to start touching the Lombardi again,and with the monies they've so strategically amassed plus their draft situation,this is the year to do it.

2 things came together. 1) Cap room 2) Players worthy of it

I don't buy the 'they learned' this or that, or were angry they lost the AFCC, and changed their approach talk.

BB has not changed anything about his philosophy or approach.
The IMPLEMENTATION of it is different this year, because he has cap room.

I said before FA started that you cannot predict what BB will do with cap room based on what he did when he didn't have much or any.

We now have the answer which we should have known all along. BB will get the best players that his resources (cap room, draft picks) allow, after accounting for needing to fill as many of the teams needs as possbile with those resources.

Nothing has changed philosophy wise, its just that when BB went to buy the groceries, there was enough money in his pocket to have the steak dinner instead of spaghetti and butter or ketchup sandwiches.

Aggressive? Don't know about that, but as Thomas and Welker became available, they were the guys I wanted us to get. Thomas is more than a 3 down 'backer. No more mismatches when opponents go to the hurry-up. Welker, a Patriot killer, will be Tommy's new safety net. Hope this deal goes through.

Very Surprised. I didn't expect this much activity this quickly. I am nervous though, AT is a great player, but they have spent a lot of money and upgraded 1 position.

In short, a serious AFFIRMATIVE to Adalius Thomas but a serious NEGATIVE to Wes Welker. Adalius Thomas is worth the money but Wes Welker is not worth the offer reported by Adam Shefter of NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

"The Patriots plan to sign Miami restricted free-agent wide receiver Wes Welker to a seven-year offers sheet worth $38.5 million. Once Welker signs the offer sheet, the Dolphins will have seven days to match it. If they decide not to, they would get the Patriots' second-round draft pick."

In short, a serious AFFIRMATIVE to Adalius Thomas but a serious NEGATIVE to Wes Welker. Adalius Thomas is worth the money but Wes Welker is not worth the offer reported by Adam Shefter of NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

"The Patriots plan to sign Miami restricted free-agent wide receiver Wes Welker to a seven-year offers sheet worth $38.5 million. Once Welker signs the offer sheet, the Dolphins will have seven days to match it. If they decide not to, they would get the Patriots' second-round draft pick."

$38.5 million is what the Dolphins must pay Welker if they want him.

He will never see that much in NE.

I told you that they wouldn't do anything this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back