PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did we just use the poison pill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks BelicheckFan. If we did indeed use the poison pill then I don't see a huge problem with it because with Thomas, Welker, Brady, and Morris all already signed I don't see another big target that we would go after. Not a ton of safety or corner help available, and lb and wr already adressed (to a degree) I think the Pats will only be going after more minor players from here on out. I don't see us going after another big name FA.

This whole 'Union accusing collusion' stuff is crap. It was a PFT theory and a stupid one. I don't think division rivals would ever consider signing a guy to an offer sheet that it knows his team can match. An arbitrator would laugh the union out of the building if they tried to claim that.

Id like the Pats to look at Carlos Polk (ILB/OLB), Ed Hartwell (ILB/OLB)or Tank Williams (SS) or Ken Hamlin (FS).

Seau could be an option as well.

I truly think that ONE more veteran is needed to protect against injury. Then draft two guys like a Bradley and DeOssie and the Pats LBs will be the best in the league.

Nothing new from Tomase on the numbers, he just repeats what Schefter has:

According to the NFL Network, the Patriots signed Adalius Thomas to a five-year, $37.5 million contract that includes $24 million in the first three years. Considering where the market has been headed so far in free agency (8 years, $80 million for Nate Clements, to start), on the surface that appears to be a steal.

The network is also reporting that the Pats plan to offer restricted free agent Wes Welker a seven-year, $38 million contract. Assuming it contains a poison pill — and at that amount, it might not even have to — odds appear decent the Dolphins will let Welker walk in exchange for the Patriots’ second round pick.

Could this be a crazier day?

Nothing new from Tomase on the numbers, he just repeats what Schefter has:

According to the NFL Network, the Patriots signed Adalius Thomas to a five-year, $37.5 million contract that includes $24 million in the first three years. Considering where the market has been headed so far in free agency (8 years, $80 million for Nate Clements, to start), on the surface that appears to be a steal.

The network is also reporting that the Pats plan to offer restricted free agent Wes Welker a seven-year, $38 million contract. Assuming it contains a poison pill — and at that amount, it might not even have to — odds appear decent the Dolphins will let Welker walk in exchange for the Patriots’ second round pick.

Could this be a crazier day?

I never in my life thought one day I'd be dizzy with player moves by the pats. Because I never thought they'd make so many moves so early in FA and so fast. I am excited that we got a game changer like Thomas, excited that we got a blocking TE, as well as a RB that will help us. On top of that now Welker a player who I really like..not sure about the numbers yet but we all know it's a poison pill and we'll be nowhere close to paying him that. Ohh yeah and we got the draft.

What a couple of days.:D

P.S. Second round pick ahhhh we got enough picks and we all know how unlucky we are in that round.

Last edited:
all i can say is the pats just destroyed the myth they are cheap.l

Ever go out with some buddies and notice that one of your friends NEVER buys a round? It happens everytime you get together....you all show up, order drinks and Mr. Alligator Arms is hiding in the back enjoying a beverage. Lets say this cheap bastard buddy one day decides to buy a round for the first time in years....is he now not cheap?

Last edited:
Schefter just said we offered $10.5 million guaranteed.

Those dollars can't be right. Wes Welker is not worth that much.
Why? It's less than David Givens got before the big increase in everyone's cap, and Welker is a better WR than Givens was.

A poison pill is where you put some B.S. in to prevent a team from matching.

The classic one was when The Jest signed Curtis Martin. It was a split contract with a player option. The real contract he was signing and a one year contract. If the Patriots had matched Martin could have picked the one year deal and been a UFA a year later and left for nothing.
It's amazing that you can remember the details. And from what I recall after you jogged my memory you got it exactly right, too!

If we just used the p pill I guess that means Gay will get a $200 million contract from Miami soon. :cool3:

If we just used the p pill I guess that means Gay will get a $200 million contract from Miami soon.

That's fine. I'll take their second rounder.

10.5 Guaranteed isn't a bad deal IMO.

THIS GUY CAUGHT ALMOST 70 PASSES LAST YEAR, WITH JOEY HARRINGTON, DAUNTE CULPEPPER, AND CLEO FREAKING LEMON THROWING TO HIM! Imagine what he will do with Tom Brady as his quarterback!

Heck, imagine what he could do with Matt Cassel slinging the pigskin. ;)

Ever go out with some buddies and notice that one of your friends NEVER buys a round? It happens everytime you get together....you all show up, order drinks and Mr. Alligator Arms is hiding in the back enjoying a beverage. Lets say this cheap bastard buddy one day decides to buy a round for the first time in years....is he now not cheap?

Ah Danny me boy, your thick Mick inability to understand anything about the cap or Kraft is the stuff of USENET legend.

Last edited:
That's fine. I'll take their second rounder.

10.5 Guaranteed isn't a bad deal IMO.

Too bad them giving up a high 2nd for Gay is a pipe dream.

This just doesn't sound right.....Welker would not command that kind of dough......NO FRIGGIN WAY.....the guy is a GREAT KR (especially against us I might add) but other than that he is a 4th WR at best on any team with any kind of talent.....I am not seeing any reason why we would go after him, when other really decent FA WR's are still hanging out there right now.....this doesn't add up....unless the money totals are different....and in that case watch for Miami to match it.

If you were paying right for Welker....the guy is a great pickup.....if you are overpaying and hoping he is going to be like a #2 WR.....as they say on the "Soprano's"......fawgett about it!!!

I must have logged into Redskins.com for Wes Welker to get getting that offer.

Amen to that....he's going to fly into Logan wearing a fedora hat with a pink feather in it if that is the case.....this would be Dan Snyder kind of sh#$......one man's opinion

Count on a reasonable first 3/4 years with the last few years absurd, and a clause that states something stupid like if he plays in at least 4 home games in Miami, the whole contract is guaranteed. Miami cant match it, so the Pats get him, they get a #2 draft choice, and he gets a 3 year deal with restructuring on the horizon.

Welker is a perfect Pats WR. Quick separation, tough in tight coverage in the middle, durable, good with YAC, runs very clean routes, good hands good punt returner. Think: a cross between pee-on and Troy Brown. And 25. Thats one hell of a second round draft choice.

Action Jackson :)D ) is gonna be back this year. For those of you who want a fast tall WR to stretch the field and clear the intermediate zones, he's it. For those of you who actually still labor under the delusion that one of those field stretchers will actually ever be a #1 in our system, I pity you. There will never be peace in your mind until BB and Brady are retired......

In regards to Jackson.....I think you may be wrong.....I am starting to feel like this guy is never going to live up to expectations here....or in the NFL.....could be a TC cut......I think if he was going to make it....he would have shown SOMETHING special last year......and although I was pulling for him,,,,,,IT never quite came......I think that as a rook....you either show that something special AT LEAST a few times during their rookie season....and then come on strong the next etc......Jackson has shown that he can get EASILY INJURED....and when he did get in there....has proven that HE STRUGGLED GETTING SEPERATION and getting open......I was one of his biggest proponents this year.....now I am thinking he may be a minor role player if not a "cut".....one man's opinion....hope I am wrong.....

Geez, some of you guys like to whine. Even on the heels of the A.D. signing!

THIS DEAL IS DECEPTIVE! I guarantee you that there are a couple phony years on the end of deal, and perhaps a "poison pill" for the Dolphins involved as well. (Though I don't like the use of poison pills, so I hope that is not the case).

THIS GUY CAUGHT ALMOST 70 PASSES LAST YEAR, WITH JOEY HARRINGTON, DAUNTE CULPEPPER, AND CLEO FREAKING LEMON THROWING TO HIM! Imagine what he will do with Tom Brady as his quarterback!

He will be a great addition, don't worry. And those of you saying that we should've drafted somebody...they would not have contributed immediately, which is what we need, and what Welker will do.

Hope you are right....but taking a large chunk of our salary cap money and dumping it into a decent KR who will be a #3-4 at best WR on this team......is debatable and risky....one man's opinion....and appreciate yours ...

gimme a break. faulk is sure handed. as for good punt returns, i can't recall faulk busting one for a td.

"faulk is sure handed"

Hold the presses.....are you saying Faulk is SURE handed? Put down the crack pipe and step away from it sir!!!! Only kidding......but let's be honest...calling Faulk sure handed is like calling the president of Iran.....logical.....

Last edited:
The talk of Gay got me thinking...who is to say the Pats are willing to do this because they have heard/know that someone with a better second round pick (better than #60 over all) is planning on putting together a poison-pill-filled contract for Gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call