PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did The Branch Issue create a Wedge Between Brady And Pats FO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible that Brady's shoulder is actually bothering him. Mavbe the injury report was not bogus?

Flying Fungi said:
normally i don't like to pile on, but this post reeks of a lack of understanding of the NFL as a business, of the New England Patriots as a model franchise, of Tom Brady as the consummate professional...quote]

You need only look at the 49ers of the mid 90's to see a great team that refused to make the tough decisions in terms of contracts or cutting players
in the era of a salary cap.
The result was cap hell and a teamed destined for years of 2-14 and 4-12 seasons. Do we really want that here, again???Lord knows, we had plenty sprinkled in with a few good years from the 60's until the Krafts bought the team. Would I like to see Deion lined up at WR? Absolutely. ButI understand the rationale, in the long term and in the larger view of th efront office's actions. They offered him a sizeable contract that they thought appropriately measured his value and could fit in the salary cap. He thought his value was greater and acted to get it. After several posters have noted, it's abusiness and the Pats run it efficiently as a business. We, as fans may not like the result sometimes, but if it helps get another Lombardi trophy by not strapping the team cap-wise, I'm all for it.....
Just my $0.02,

Not to be contrian. But if you listen to the posy game interviews, clearly Brady is not his usual self. During the game we saw him on the sideline hanging his head low, when have we seen that before? The situation has gotten to him and it he is having some trouble with it. Combine that with several new recivers and it translates to difficulties on the field.

Is this something that is eating away at Brady causing him to distrust the FO? No! He is hurt over his friends leaving, that takes some time to get over. I was listening to the interview on EEI on Monday (through patriots webradio) and early in the interview Tom sounded like he was just going through the motions. But by the end you started to hear the old Tom talking again. Gotta give a guy more then a few days to get over things, he is a proffesional and all, but this is not what is the root cause of the errors on the field.

Those errors come down to the fact that the passing offense is not yet synced up. It will take afew weeks to get used to the speed and capabilties all these new pieces have and find the plays in the book that work for each of these new guys.

We will have to see if we are going to lose more recievers in the future. I'm kinda hopeful that if Gaberial starts turning it on, that when it comes time for resigning him, that he might be willing to give us a "Thank you for getting me out hell...I mean Oakland" discount.

Threads like this are what makes me think this that this is exactly why Patriot fans get such a bad wrap!

here are the facts:

1. Brady is the best QB in the league
2. The teams is down it's top 2 WR's from the previous season(s)
3. Brady is throwing to a rookie, a 35 year old veteran and a guy signed 2 weeks ago
4. The OL is Strong
5. The Running game is strong
6. We are 2-0
7. Brady is a consumate professional and ONLY looked like his dog died after the Jets game because he was not happy with HIS performance! End of Story! Would you rather have him smiling and laughing after playing subpar or would you want your QB to be mulling over how he needs to get this thing going?
8. Brady is the best QB in the league

...I think that bears repeating for some of these useless, forgetful, fickle Pat fans!

We are so LUCKY to have Brady as our QB for what he is on and OFF the field!

Last edited:
Drewwho said:
7. Brady is a consumate professional and ONLY looked like his dog died after the Jets game because he was not happy with HIS performance! End of Story! Would you rather have him smiling and laughing after playing subpar or would you want your QB to be mulling over how he needs to get this thing going?

This is what I think as well. The simplest explanation is often the correct one, after all. Our QB looks dejected in the sidelines after playing poorly? How about....he's disgusted with himself for playing poorly? Instead we're getting, from the media and some fans some Dr. Phil BS and it's really getting out of control.

I think to many people are missing the point, or refuse to even contemplate it. I didn't imply that Brady was on a downward spiral in his career. That physically and ability wise he is any less the QB then he has been since taking the team over. I agree that Brady is the Best QB in the league. I do believe that it is humanly possible that the Branch situation has hit him harder then anyone knows. I love how some people insist there is no way Brady is pissed about Deion and absolutely never would he hold the slightest grudge against the FO for that situation. I say it isn't out of the realm, and that It is obvious to me..that he appears somewhat disgruntled. If that weren't the case..Brady would be shouting from the Highest Rooftop that this offense is going to be a force to be reckon with later in the season. That the young WR's brought in were going to be able to get it done........He would be telling everyone that in time the Offense was going to be much better.....He isn't saying those things though, instead he is sort of implying that missing Branch has been the issue, I haven't heard a confident word from him in the last two weeks.

Last edited:
SCPatBoy said:
I think to many people are missing the point, or refuse to even contemplate it. I didn't imply that Brady was on a downward spiral in his career. That physically and ability wise he is any less the QB then he has been since taking the team over. I agree that Brady is the Best QB in the league. I do believe that it is humanly possible that the Branch situation has hit him harder then anyone knows. I love how some people insist there is no way Brady is pissed about Deion and absolutely never would he hold the slightest grudge against the FO for that situation. I say it isn't out of the realm, and that It is obvious to me..that he appears somewhat disgruntled. If that weren't the case..Brady would be shouting from the Highest Rooftop that this offense is going to be a force to be reckon with later in the season. That the young WR's brought in were going to be able to get it done........He would be telling everyone that in time the Offense was going to be much better.....He isn't saying those things though, instead he is sort of implying that missing Branch has been the issue, I haven't heard a confident word from him in the last two weeks.

I agree with this post. It's very different from your first post.

He has a job, like you and me. He misses a bunch of huys that moved on. He especially misses Branch and Givens.

It also makes his job harder. He has to break in three new guys.

He knows he's capable and will adjust in a few weeks, if these guys have talent.

He will still miss his old friends, but he will make new friends.

He is smart. He sees which teams build all around units with depth and win Super Bowls, (lucky him).

He sees what happens when most of the limited cap dollars are spent on skill positions particularly wide receiver.

Detroit, Arizona, Colts. And on and on. Any Super Bowl contenders there?

Sure, I like Wayne, Harrison and Boldin. And I watch the sameTV feed of the Super Bowl as they do.

Why not wait til we have at least a year plus between Super Bowls to say we don't know what we're doing.

SCPatBoy said:
Watching the last two games I just can't help but wonder if BB won the Battle with Branch, at the cost of making our Franchise and Star QB disenfranchised with the Franchise......I mean I will be the first to say that I supported BB/Pili 100% in the Branch ordeal. I did that though not knowing truly what Brady was really feeling. After seeing his passionless and erratic games the past two weeks, I can't help but wonder if Brady's convictions about wanting Branch back were stronger then everyone realizes. I mean I know what he said in the media, but I wonder if he fought hard to get Branch back and is now pissed about not having his favorite pass catcher back. Maybe he is trying to display his displeasure. I hope that it isn't the case and that it is just going to take some time to Gel, however people are kidding themselves if they can't tell that Brady is not himself right now! I'm not just talking about missing passes(Barely 50% for 2 weeks) I'm talking about the leadership and fire he has provided in th epast. Brady has always been the glue through it all and I just hope BB hasn't weakened that glue with the Branch deal...

BB risked his coaching career when he put his faith behind Brady instead of Bledsoe in 2000. Brady must realizes that if not for Belichick, who knows how he would have turned out. Brady owes a lot to this team as does the team owe a heckuva lot to Brady. Brady and BB are the perfect marriage.

SCPatBoy said:
Watching the last two games I just can't help but wonder if BB won the Battle with Branch, at the cost of making our Franchise and Star QB disenfranchised with the Franchise......I mean I will be the first to say that I supported BB/Pili 100% in the Branch ordeal. I did that though not knowing truly what Brady was really feeling. After seeing his passionless and erratic games the past two weeks, I can't help but wonder if Brady's convictions about wanting Branch back were stronger then everyone realizes. I mean I know what he said in the media, but I wonder if he fought hard to get Branch back and is now pissed about not having his favorite pass catcher back. Maybe he is trying to display his displeasure. I hope that it isn't the case and that it is just going to take some time to Gel, however people are kidding themselves if they can't tell that Brady is not himself right now! I'm not just talking about missing passes(Barely 50% for 2 weeks) I'm talking about the leadership and fire he has provided in th epast. Brady has always been the glue through it all and I just hope BB hasn't weakened that glue with the Branch deal...
I notice a lot of people responded to your post with rage, anger and insults. Unfortunately their shortsightedness overlooks the fact that you raise some excellent points.

I don't think Brady is deliberately trying to stick it to the front office or anything like that, but there's no getting around the fact that he looks very much out of sync thus far. I guess that's what happens when he is given one WR that he has actually played with before this year. I remember seeing a 60 Minutes program about Tom Brady, and Deion Branch was also mentioned in it and the compatability between QB and WR was absolutely amazing.

I am optimistic that Brady will snap out of it and things will be fine once we are well into the season. But the Deion-haters in this group refuse to even remotely consider the fact that Brady is suffering in the short term and it's not completely unreasonable to suggest that, even though he would never say so publicly, he is a little frustrated with the way things played out.

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
BB risked his coaching career when he put his faith behind Brady instead of Bledsoe in 2000.
And Brady saved BB's coaching career. There's were plenty of calls to fire Belichick after only his first year here. Look, I like and respect the guy but let's not forget his career coaching record was 41-57 (1-1 in the playoffs) before Tom Brady took over as starter of the New England Patriots football club.

The last time we had a similar situation was the Milloy incident, and the Pats got waxed the next week before righting the ship and winning the SB.

This time the Pats played at less than their best, but still won the game.

I like how they've responded to THIS disappointment much better, hopefully we'll be celebrating in February too.

QuiGon said:
And Brady saved BB's coaching career. There's were plenty of calls to fire Belichick after only his first year here. Look, I like and respect the guy but let's not forget his career coaching record was 41-57 (1-1 in the playoffs) before Tom Brady took over as starter of the New England Patriots football club.

It's a symbiotic relationship. One is necessary for the other. Works beautifully. And I cannot think of a coach who would not have stuck the 100 million dollar Bledsoe back in after he healed. Brady owed BB huge, just as BB owes Brady.

I think the reason people are reacting harshly is precisely because of the implication that Brady is playing poorly ON PURPOSE. That makes Tom Brady out to be as unprofessional as it gets. I have no problem saying or believing he is down his favorite WR is gone. But that is totally different than saying he is throwing things purposefully because he has had it with the FO.

Last edited:
QuiGon said:
I notice a lot of people responded to your post with rage, anger and insults. Unfortunately their shortsightedness overlooks the fact that you raise some excellent points.

I don't think Brady is deliberately trying to stick it to the front office or anything like that, but there's no getting around the fact that he looks very much out of sync thus far. I guess that's what happens when he is given one WR that he has actually played with before this year. I remember seeing a 60 Minutes program about Tom Brady, and Deion Branch was also mentioned in it and the compatability between QB and WR was absolutely amazing.

I am optimistic that Brady will snap out of it and things will be fine once we are well into the season. But the Deion-haters in this group refuse to even remotely consider the fact that Brady is suffering in the short term and it's not completely unreasonable to suggest that, even though he would never say so publicly, he is a little frustrated with the way things played out.

I contend that Brady actually played VERY well in NY. That last drive was vintage Brady, hitting all those (here it comes) TIGHT third down passes and leading that team down the field on a clock killing drive was a thing of beauty. Sure, he had some open guys and missed them, he also threw some terrific passes as well - note Jackson x2 and a few to Troy, Watson & Graham along with Reche.

TB is ever the perfectionist and that is all that is wrong here - he wants this offense to shine already and he knows it will take time, a little frustration is all we are seeing. Sure he will miss his buddy DB, but it is not going to cause a rift between player and FO. Tom Brady loves the Krafts & BB - they all have been very good for and to each other.

SCPatBoy said:
Watching the last two games I just can't help but wonder if BB won the Battle with Branch, at the cost of making our Franchise and Star QB disenfranchised with the Franchise......is now pissed about not having his favorite pass catcher back. Maybe he is trying to display his displeasure....
QuiGon said:
I notice a lot of people responded to your post with rage, anger and insults.
I agree. The proper way to respond to a stupid post like that is with ridicule and derision, not anger.

A post that implies Brady is playing poorly on purpose to show his displeasure is so ridiculous that anyone who takes it seriously should not himself be taken seriously.

For one thing, we won both games. Maybe the FO should keep him pissed so we can have an undefeated season? See how silly this is?

For a second thing, Brady played well in game 2, and built up a 24 point lead before the defense (not him) let the Jets score a little. Then Brady engineered a fourth quarter 8 minute clock killing drive mixing runs on first and second down with pinpoint third down passing to seal the game. I guessed that showed the front office!

All that needs to be said to the original poster is: "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberry wine. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"

fgssand said:
I contend that Brady actually played VERY well in NY. That last drive was vintage Brady, hitting all those (here it comes) TIGHT third down passes and leading that team down the field on a clock killing drive was a thing of beauty. Sure, he had some open guys and missed them, he also threw some terrific passes as well - note Jackson x2 and a few to Troy, Watson & Graham along with Reche.
There were definitely pockets of the game within which he played very well. But if you look at the entire game overall, it was not a well played game by the quarterback.
fgssand said:
TB is ever the perfectionist and that is all that is wrong here - he wants this offense to shine already and he knows it will take time, a little frustration is all we are seeing. Sure he will miss his buddy DB, but it is not going to cause a rift between player and FO. Tom Brady loves the Krafts & BB - they all have been very good for and to each other.
I agree with all that, but I know I'll sure be pissed if this team finishes the season $15 million under the cap after letting so much talent get away.

Brady is a realistic guy. He wants to have a great passing game and is disappointed with the way the first games went. Too many picks, not enough WRs that knew what to do. Have you seen Reche get open much? Chad and Doug have never played in a game with Brady. His security blanket is in Seattle.

He wants more production in the passing game, he also needs a little time to get over Branch's departure.

But he is a realistic guy and will come out of his little funk the only way he knows how: By winning games with whatever guys are on his team.

Brady is a realistic guy. He'll get over it. Let him struggle and get it out of his system.

But let's not make too much of a soap opera out of this.

The team is strong enough to let Brady and the WRs go thru growing pains.

Let's not go into too much pyscho analysis to figure out the obvious.

Brady will get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft