PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Gostkowski solidify the Kicking spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think, barring injury and/or a major drop-off, Gostkowski wins the job.

BTW this guy has a long leg for kick-offs which I believe BB thought was not a strength of Adam's game and gave away too much field position.

I'm sure the team is very hopeful of him winning the job as well. He's young and they invested a 4th round pick on him. Plus, Gramatica has had an up and down career, be it because of injury or inconsistency.

NEM said:
I still think Gramatica gets the nod. He will do the kicking this Saturday.

Why do you see it that way? Not that Gramatica hasn't looked good as well but I just think because of his draft position, age and being locked up for four years, GOST gets the job.

At this point I haven't seen anything that makes me think he couldn't handle the job.

When asked who would kick next preseason game I think Bill was uncommitted.
My guess is that if the Ghost gets to kicks again ... he's got the job.
If one has to be cut I just can't see the younger guy being let lose.
He won't make the PS ... someone will snatch him. If both kickers
are about the same how do you not go with the one with the greater upside
.... the one with many years ahead?

Last edited:
Gostkowski is clearly the frontrunner now IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
gramatica is a wash.. Ghost is the man in new england.. young, strong leg.. may not have the best year, but he's a rookie.. he'll be solid eventually.

cmon the guy did a 1 planted 40 yarder in the ESPN Rookie Challenge.

I'd like to see the Pats in a pressure situation where a kicker has to make a 45 yarder. I don't think any kick has been made that has been longer than 40 yards. The Pats haven't been in that situation yet, though Gramatica came through in the Atlanta game (it wasn't a long kick), even though we lost.

Maybe they will keep both just for insurance....

If we weren't keeping both then I'd have to say that Gost has matched grammatica step for step from what I've read, heard, and watched. The tie breaker could be age and cost. From that vantage point, it's gostkowski.

He's Gosto make it.

Last edited:
I don't know if I can stomach having a kicker or any player for that matter called "Ghost"

huskeralk said:
I don't know if I can stomach having a kicker or any player for that matter called "Ghost"

I vote we call him the Mad Polack.

There is no question Gost makes the team. The only reason Martin is on the team is to make the rook feel like he is in compettion for the job. BB knew from day one that gost was going to make the team.

sieglo said:
I vote we call him the Mad Polack.

Hmm...don't jump to conclusions:

Eliyahu Avraham Gostkowski, early 1930's
wizna-AEK23.jpg
gostkowskistephen.jpg

Which reminds me, at training camp the other day I heard a guy call out to Rich Musinski, "Rich! You gotta make the team, we need more Poles!" Rich didn't seem thrilled, oddly enough. Then a guy who had just muscled his way to the front past a bunch of kids to get Troy Brown to sign a football came up to me and said, "So that player was named Troy what?"

Wow am I ever veering off topic...time for bed.

NEM says Gramatica. Well that settles it for me.

Ghost it is!

huskeralk said:

well look at if from a different angle.
To oposing players trying to block him ... he's a Ghost ... they just can't find him. :D

I think they have looked pretty equal, so do you go with experience, a guy thats done it or with youth and potential. Whatever Bill decides works for me.

I was at the game Saturday night and at one point, I think in the 2nd quarter, the Pats were facing a third and long somewhere in long field goal range...I think it would've been about a 50 yard kick. I actually turned to my girlfriend and said, I wouldn't mind the Pats getting stopped right here and seeing if Gost could make the kick. Of course, our offense being as efficient as it is, picked up the 1st down.

I do believe it is Gost's job, but I'd like to see him take a long kick during a game.

PatsMan26 said:
There is no question Gost makes the team. The only reason Martin is on the team is to make the rook feel like he is in compettion for the job. BB knew from day one that gost was going to make the team.

Exactly right- BB has relieved the pressure of trying to fill AV's shoes by actually making him compete for the job. This is bringing the best out of him IMO. Instead of simply giving him the job, he is EARNING the job. This will give him more confidence during the season to fulfill our kicking duties, especially in the clutch.

tatepatsfan said:
I do believe it is Gost's job, but I'd like to see him take a long kick during a game.
I'm always happy to see him get more preseason tries but I really don't care how many long ones he gets. We lost a kicker who's great inside 45 yards and if Gostkowski can come close to that accuracy that's fine. We didn't try many from outside 45 last year - any of those are a bonus. But give me the 44 and under ones at around 75-80% and that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft