PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Belichick bring Sabremetrics to the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which makes your response even more curious. What point are you trying to make here?

I don't know how he makes individual decisions. Since i knew he had talked about an academic study concerning when to punt or not and it seemed germane to the post, which involved that type of decision (am I wrong?) I posted it to add to the fabric of the discussion.

There seems to be a lot of confusion relating to the specific term sabermetrics. People seem to be confusing the idea of statistical analysis with the singular sport oriented sabermetrics.

• What is sabermetrics? As originally defined by Bill James in 1980, sabermetrics is "the search for objective knowledge about baseball". James coined the phrase in part to honor the Society for American Baseball Research.

http://sabr.org/sabermetrics

I'm not sure why people think BB would be bringing that to football. He doesn't need objective knowledge about baseball in order to be a head football coach and GM.

There seems to be a lot of confusion relating to the specific term sabermetrics. People seem to be confusing the idea of statistical analysis with the singular sport oriented sabermetrics.

http://sabr.org/sabermetrics

I'm not sure why people think BB would be bringing that to football. He doesn't need objective knowledge about baseball in order to be a head football coach and GM.

Very few people in this thread are confused about this which is why a separate discussion about how BB uses data arose.

Very few people in this thread are confused about this which is why a separate discussion about how BB uses data arose.

Some clearly were, which is why I posted the clarification. Glad to be able to help.

Some clearly were, which is why I posted the clarification. Glad to be able to help.

My apologies. I always appreciate information added to the thread.

Gotta agree with RayClay here. Any resemblance between the Patriot's practices and Sabremetrics is purely incidental. As he says, football simply has too many variables to use such a system. Baseball, on the other hand, is "The Thinking Man's Game" and lends itself very well to statistical analysis.

This. From what I know about Sabremetrics, it's really only applicable in a sport like baseball where it's a pure one on one battle of pitcher vs. batter. In football, there's far more variables to do everything based on #'s.

My apologies. I always appreciate information added to the thread.

Deus is right, there is serious confusion regarding the term saber metrics and long standing statistical analysis, much of which is equally irrelevant when it comes to football, that's not to say that smart football minds haven't been using stats in making decisions for many many years because they clearly have, however they were also smart enough to realize they were a component of their analysis and not even close to the entire picture.

The thing about stats on any level is that they generally don't measure heart, toughness, instincts, or desire very was ell, and imo when you are talking about great players those qualities are paramount, and reducing players to numbers that are ultimately within fractions makes no sense at all in player evaluation, and I will take the Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, or Tedy Bruschi every time over the Darius Heyward Bey, Lawrence Philips, or Andy Katzenmoyer regardless if their measurables. The bottom line, at least imo is that all of these guys are relatively close athletically and the differences have more to do with who they are as athletes and not their 40 time or vertical. Stats are relevant but they are just a piece if the pie and not the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft