PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the replays showed the safety arriving just after McCourty got his hands on the ball, was quite reminiscent of last season in the way the safety arrived late.

Last year the Safety wouldn't arrive at all, not early, nor late. So the only guy visible was a beaten DM, not loking back as he ran hard to close from trail. But this year, the Safeties have some idea of their responsibilities. The second DM INT is exactly the way the
coaches expect a trail technique to result in a short pass becoming an INT.

BTW, the criticism is now on the Safeties being split for long gainers, when they are merely honoring their other responsibilities.

No secondary is fool proof. You give something to gain something else. The other guys get paid too.

Last year the Safety wouldn't arrive at all, not early, nor late. So the only guy visible was a beaten DM, not loking back as he ran hard to close from trail. But this year, the Safeties have some idea of their responsibilities. The second DM INT is exactly the way the
coaches expect a trail technique to result in a short pass becoming an INT.

BTW, the criticism is now on the Safeties being split for long gainers, when they are merely honoring their other responsibilities.

No secondary is fool proof. You give something to gain something else. The other guys get paid too.

Kudos. You sound like someone who actually understands something about the game and not just throwing around blind criticism based on a few bad plays like a lot of other people in this thread and on the board. There's even a Patrick Chung thread now. Soon, there may be a Gregory thread, which will be followed by an Arrington thread.

I'm not proposing that any of the player in the secondary are without fault. They've all been inconsistent during stretches, but to sit here and ream a player who has been drastically better this season over last is utterly ridiculous. There are people on this board who are actually saying McCourty, who had a very decent game against Baltimore, sucked in that game. That's just false. His mistake was the most glaring, but he had a very good game aside from it. Furthermore, the guy is second in the league right now in passes defended. And lastly, you'd be hard pressed to find a corner who is better in run support.

This just shows how fans, and people in general, are when it comes to things. Once something becomes their perception they make it their reality as well. To most McCourty will suck no matter what he actually does because that's their perception and they'll spin it any way they can because nobody likes to be wrong. I'm not saying the guy has played Ty Law level football, but he's hardly been our worst corner this season, nor has he been as bad as he was a season ago. He's under the microscope right now, though, so any mistake he makes will be magnified and any play he makes will be diminished by his detractors. That's the weird (and unfortunate) place in which he finds himself. I've said it before, but I guess it's worth saying again. This guy is the new Maroney on Patsfans.com.

Greg Bedard broke down the All 22 and he believes McCourty was beat on the first INT, but was good the rest of the game:

Devin McCourty, CB: On first interception, he was beat. The second was textbook Cover 3 coverage. No negative plays (as opposed to his secondary mates).

Looking back at Buffalo - Extra Points - Boston.com

Greg Bedard broke down the All 22 and he believes McCourty was beat on the first INT, but was good the rest of the game:

Didn't look like he was playing the trail technique all along, IMO. I didn't argue it because it was more than likely Gregory was just out of the frame due to being out of position. But it simply looked like McCourty was beat on that play. At least he got his mitts on the ball.

The old saying is that if McCourty had great hands, he would have been a WR.

"As a Receiver, he makes one HELL of a CornerBack!! Yowza, Yowza!!"

real_names_of_640_33.jpg

Last year the Safety wouldn't arrive at all, not early, nor late.

So the only guy visible was a beaten DM, not loking back as he ran hard to close from trail.

But this year, the Safeties have some idea of their responsibilities.
The second DM INT is exactly the way the coaches expect a trail technique to result in a short pass becoming an INT.

No secondary is fool proof. You give something to gain something else.

The other guys get paid too.

:rocker: :youtheman: BRAVO, Brother Zona!!! A penetrating blast of LIGHT!! :youtheman: :rocker:

Kudos. You sound like someone who actually understands something about the game and not just throwing around blind criticism based on a few bad plays like a lot of other people in this thread and on the board. There's even a Patrick Chung thread now. Soon, there may be a Gregory thread, which will be followed by an Arrington thread.

I'm not proposing that any of the player in the secondary are without fault. They've all been inconsistent during stretches, but to sit here and ream a player who has been drastically better this season over last is utterly ridiculous. There are people on this board who are actually saying McCourty, who had a very decent game against Baltimore, sucked in that game. That's just false. His mistake was the most glaring, but he had a very good game aside from it. Furthermore, the guy is second in the league right now in passes defended. And lastly, you'd be hard pressed to find a corner who is better in run support.

This just shows how fans, and people in general, are when it comes to things. Once something becomes their perception they make it their reality as well. To most McCourty will suck no matter what he actually does because that's their perception and they'll spin it any way they can because nobody likes to be wrong. I'm not saying the guy has played Ty Law level football, but he's hardly been our worst corner this season, nor has he been as bad as he was a season ago. He's under the microscope right now, though, so any mistake he makes will be magnified and any play he makes will be diminished by his detractors. That's the weird (and unfortunate) place in which he finds himself. I've said it before, but I guess it's worth saying again.

This guy is the new Maroney on Patsfans.com.

An absolutely outstanding Post!! :rocker:

I will of course diverge with you on the last line, though.

The difference between McCourty and Maroney was that in Maroney's case the disdain was fully warranted.

The difference between McCourty and Maroney was that in Maroney's case the disdain was fully warranted.

You came around in 2010, so as a courtesy I just figured I'd comment on the last sentence. I suspect that what the author you quoted was talking about is the disdain for Maroney without the disdain for the equally horrific run blocking by the OL during that time period (and, specifically, 2009).

Bedard was on EEI this morning and said on the all 22 film McCorty was clearly beat on the first interception but that he was terrific the rest of the game which is pretty much what the middle of the roaders have been saying all along. These discussions have become like the political forum where you're either 100% in one camp or the other and god forbid if you dissent from one side or the other because you become an insta-idiot in half the people's eyes.

He also said Wilson was caught squatting on routes a few times instead of honoring his responsibilities and ditto for Chung. He thought that Wilson was also slightly out of position on a few plays and that's just being a rookie but that the Pats will correct that and he'll end up making plays instead of being a second late in the future. Gregory likewise was out of position and took a few bad angles.

Said Vollmer had a nearly perfect game against Williams and that Solder was likewise very good.

He also said Wilson was caught squatting on routes a few times instead of honoring his responsibilities and ditto for Chung. He thought that Wilson was also slightly out of position on a few plays and that's just being a rookie but that the Pats will correct that and he'll end up making plays instead of being a second late in the future. Gregory likewise was out of position and took a few bad angles.

...And I continue to say that Nate Ebner will prove to be the best'f'm all. :cool:

Last year the Safety wouldn't arrive at all, not early, nor late. So the only guy visible was a beaten DM, not loking back as he ran hard to close from trail. But this year, the Safeties have some idea of their responsibilities. The second DM INT is exactly the way the coaches expect a trail technique to result in a short pass becoming an INT.

This just shows how fans, and people in general, are when it comes to things. Once something becomes their perception they make it their reality as well. To most McCourty will suck no matter what he actually does because that's their perception and they'll spin it any way they can because nobody likes to be wrong. I'm not saying the guy has played Ty Law level football, but he's hardly been our worst corner this season, nor has he been as bad as he was a season ago. He's under the microscope right now, though, so any mistake he makes will be magnified and any play he makes will be diminished by his detractors. That's the weird (and unfortunate) place in which he finds himself. I've said it before, but I guess it's worth saying again.

This guy is the new Maroney on Patsfans.com.

You came around in 2010, so as a courtesy I just figured I'd comment on the last sentence. I suspect that what the author you quoted was talking about is the disdain for Maroney without the disdain for the equally horrific run blocking by the OL during that time period (and, specifically, 2009).

You've got to be kidding, Bro. :eek:

Sam Morris, Fred Taylor, & Kevin Faulk were racking it up behind that O Line:

2009 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

In 2007.

In 2008.

In 2009.

Maroney??

Not so much.
:bricks:

...And I continue to say that Nate Ebner will prove to be the best'f'm all. :cool:

Perhaps but he's been out of position as well and lets not forget the missed block on the punt team before we put him in the hall of fame. ;)

Maroney??

Not so much.
:bricks:

The game I always think of with Maroney is the 2007 AFCCG. He was an absolute beast especially in the second half where the line and Maroney killed the clock Cory Dillon style. I remember thinking he finally gets it and just puts his head down after making the single cut and gets behind a lineman if there is one and gets every last yard.

Not so much as it turns out. Million dollar talent, ten cent head. :(

Perhaps but he's been out of position as well and lets not forget the missed block on the punt team before we put him in the hall of fame. ;)

No kidding.

Last I heard, he was a Rookie.

And I don't recall "putting him in the Hall of Fame."

It's called a Prediction.

You know?

Putting your money where your mouth is ~ taking a chance ~ and predicting, based on your own gut feeling, more than anything else, that you believe a young kid has The Right Stuff??

NOT being a gutless shlock who constantly talks about what somebody HASN'T done, yet??
spock.gif

Again.

It's called a "Prediction."

Nothing more.

It's called a "Prediction."

Nothing more.

The HOF comment was a Parcells reference and a joke. Please hunt down and kill the Jet's fan who pissed in your corn flakes as I swear it wasn't me.

8739.jpg

He can believe whatever he wants. Of course he doesnt know the call. He also is ignoring the very likely possibliity that McCourty, as he did many times in his rookie season, was playing possum to bait the throw so he could close on the slower WR.

The game I always think of with Maroney is the 2007 AFCCG. He was an absolute beast especially in the second half where the line and Maroney killed the clock Cory Dillon style. I remember thinking he finally gets it and just puts his head down after making the single cut and gets behind a lineman if there is one and gets every last yard.

Not so much as it turns out. Million dollar talent, ten cent head. :(

I remember thinking the same thing. I remember thinking that he was finally ready to take the next step. I really think that is when I started to let the idea of 19-0 sink in. I didn't think that the Giants could stop him because they'd be geared to stopping the pass and Maroney had just played out of his mind in the AFCCG. I guess I was wrong . . . :(

Last edited:
He can believe whatever he wants. Of course he doesnt know the call. He also is ignoring the very likely possibliity that McCourty, as he did many times in his rookie season, was playing possum to bait the throw so he could close on the slower WR.

Or maybe he just always sucked. He was just lucky that QBs kept underthrowing their receivers! :bricks:

By all accounts he's been playing solid corner this season. He's had a few coverage mistakes per game, but that's true of 90% of the corners in the league. Sometimes he gets unlucky and is burned by his mistakes; other times he gets lucky. People focusing in on just the mistakes are trying way to hard. Right now he looks like an average to above average starting corner. Hopefully his play continues, or better yet improves. If they can figure out the safety issues and no one regresses this defense should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft