PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Desmond Howard SB kick return - holding?

Desmond Howard later said that he thought the Pats got too arrogant after cutting the lead to 27-21. They had been avoiding kicking the ball long and deep all game except that one time. Like I said, I don't know if this was goof on the part of Adam Vinatieri or if the coaching staff told him to kick it that way. Either way it killed us and any momentum we had.

Last edited:
That is a good point above though. The Patriots at that time were not going to get the benefit of the doubt of a call like that for a bunch of obvious reasons. They probably get that call in the dynasty years…

Ugh that hurts, never saw that till now. I don’t know if it would’ve changed the outcome but you never know if the lead isn’t double digits and Bledsoe doesn’t become a dead man walking. This loss was Nothing compared to sb42 or sb46 but I couldn’t rewatch this game until 2002.

It didn't help. Bill obviously couldn't wait to get get away from Kraft. Win or lose. I suppose it's a **** move, but I know how Robert can be obstinate and obtuse (see flying elvis, FakeGates I, II, III).

I don't think it had any effect on the outcome.

If they had won, maybe the split wouldn't have been so rancorous... But they didn't, and parcels back room dealings with the jete just made everything worse

If they had won, maybe the split wouldn't have been so rancorous... But they didn't, and parcels back room dealings with the jete just made everything worse
"I'm outa here, win or lose." He would have accepted the trophy, the accolades, the awkward ceremony with Kraft-

Then bolted in exactly the same way.

He. Was. Gone.

Maybe a little of it was he was fighting within himself in case of all the lovey-dovey exhilaration of winning a Super Bowl. He wanted to make sure he didn't change his mind.

Leaving the Pats is hard, no matter how much the owner sucks. Just ask Chuck Fairbanks

Leaving the Pats is hard, no matter how much the owner sucks. Just ask Chuck Fairbanks
literally made me laugh, thanks lol

the point was everything bad just piled on ... losing, tuna leaving, favreworship afterwards yada yada yada ... and maybe it wouldnt have been so bad if we had won... thats the only point i was trying to make ...

Last edited:
Where are the Parcells apologists?

I am thankful for the positive changes Tuna made.

But he ruined his NE legacy the way that he quit.
Parcells did a few things to help this franchise. He was a HOF caliber coach and his name brought instant credibility to the team and the idea of playing in NE for anyone who might have thought of the idea. He also drafted the groceries especially on defense that set the table for Carroll and eventually BB to finally take over a team on the rise. And most importantly he introduced BB to Kraft.

The way he left and also afterward ruined all of that for me. But I think Kraft learned from it too and made him a better partner for BB.

That 96 team was so enjoyable to watch. The way they crushed the Steelers and Jaguars in the playoffs (combined score of 48-9), I really thought they had a chance in the SB. They even led GB 14-10 after the 1st quarter. And then everything collapsed. Outscored 25-7 after that. The Parcells ******** before the SB really hurt them too. Who knows what would’ve happened if he had stayed.

Broke your heart.

Just like when Godfather Mike Corleone found out that Fredo tipped off Hymen Roth.
Just like when Magath beated Zoff
1983 Athens
At that time i liked also soccer...

That 96 team was so enjoyable to watch. The way they crushed the Steelers and Jaguars in the playoffs (combined score of 48-9), I really thought they had a chance in the SB. They even led GB 14-10 after the 1st quarter. And then everything collapsed. Outscored 25-7 after that. The Parcells ******** before the SB really hurt them too. Who knows what would’ve happened if he had stayed.
+ 1
After Drew td pass to Coates i thought we had a real chance to win it...
14-10...but it was too early...Favre became like Elway..
Like Marino...
Unbearable

the point was everything bad just piled on
This is Patriots status quo, after the Jets knocked us out on December 17, 1966 at Shea.

Bad things would happen to us, and the media reveled in the 'dark cloud' hovering over Foxborough.
favreworship afterwards
Favre is annoying; however he is a legit great NFL quarterback, who made any team that played him a winner. Lots of great QB's throw picks; it's okay to not like him, but he is legit great

McMahon, on the other hand, is like Dilfer. Proof you don't need a good quarterback to be dominant.
Let's rehash something from over 20 years ago. Yeah, that's helpful.
It is.

To put things in perspective, and understand what was mostly misunderstood or ignored at the time.

And to avoid repeating similar stupid decisions and actions in the present and the future.

A hold being called there may have completely changed the trajectory of the Pats Dynasty.....maybe no Brady/Belichick....

I can't remember where I read it, but wasn't Belichick freaking out about kicking to Howard? And not giving extra help to Lane? I remember reading that Belichick was pissed that Parcells didn't seem to care/didn't adjust in the second half.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back