PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a rumor started saying that chip had gone to Jackson personally to assure him he wouldn't be traded.

Didn't happen. Reportedly no such talk took place, in fact the word is that chip and Jackson haven't communicated at all since the story broke.

Seems like a Welker/BB-ish relationship

Do we have smoke?

Interesting that the source reached out to the Allentown morning call. Allentown is adjacent to Bethlehem where the eagles training camp was held prior to chip relocating it. So he could have friends out there.

I'd be pretty pissed if the Jets got D-Jax

At least we'd have Revis to counter.

Assuming this isn't just Belichick trying to spook the Jets into overspending, and he's actually interested in Jackson, this would indicate the Pats are in full blown "win now" mode (for the next 3 years no less!)

$9-10 million a year isn't chump change - but Jackson had 12 catches that were thrown over 20 yards - 9 of those were over 30 yards

That would give Brady and INSTANT deep threat that could stretch the field, and open things up for Edelman and Gronk and instantly put them in a 2007-esque class of offense

Add to that a strong D and you are looking at the potential for a dominant 19-0 season

Good health is of course key - but easing the defensive pressure on Gronk and Edelman with a guy like Jackson on the field would help with that

It comes down to a question of whether you'd spend an extra $10 million a season for something akin to the 2007 offense

I probably would. Deep WRs don't grow on trees, or the draft, and they cost money.

It's pretty simple. Bring in a deep WR of Jackson's talent and I think the Patriots have a great chance to rattle off 3 Super Bowls in a row, and give Brady a total of 6 for his career.

It will not surprise me if this happens - and you won't hear anyone complain about the cap hit with 3 more Super Bowls to finish Brady's career.

Meh. Nobody to throw to him, and his diva-gangsta personality fits the team profile. Plus, his contract is a back-breaker. The second coming of Santonio Holmes.

At least we'd have Revis to counter.
I'd be thrilled. That would mean they'd have over $17MM tied up in 2 WR's for 2014. I'd much rather see them fritter away valuable cap space for 2 freakin WR's than use that money to improve their OL and defensive secondary.

Besides it will be a good lesson to all you WR nazis that no matter how good your WR's are, your team can't win if the rest of the team is crap, especially at QB. Right now the Jets have a great DL, mediocre LB's and a poor secondary with ZERO depth. On offense they have an aging and declining OL, one reliable RB, one passable TE and a very questionable QB situation.

But with Kersey, Decker, and Jackson, they'd have a starting 3 WR group as good as any in the league. But I doubt they'd meet with much success even if Smith shows a nice 2nd year improvement. Last season the Jets lost the FEWEST starters to injuries of any team in the league. If our injury situation improves 25% and theirs worsens by 25% the Jets are going to be in deep ****.

With 12 picks in the middle of most rounds, the Jets are going to improve their personnel and be a better team. However I will be surprised if they match their 8-8 record of last season. A lot of things had to go right for the Jets to reach that "lofty" mark. This season reminds me of the 2002 Pats, who were a better team personnel wise than the 11-5 2001 group, but in the end were lucky to wind up 9-7.

The Jets will be a better team in 2014, imho, but will end up with a worse record. However by 2015, if Smith keeps on improving and they draft well, the Jets will be a real contender for the AFCE crown. In fact by 2015 the AFCE is going to be one of the toughest divisions in the league

Dri archer would be as good as him. Cheaper too.

I'd be thrilled. That would mean they'd have over $17MM tied up in 2 WR's for 2014. I'd much rather see them fritter away valuable cap space for 2 freakin WR's than use that money to improve their OL and defensive secondary.

Besides it will be a good lesson to all you WR nazis that no matter how good your WR's are, your team can't win if the rest of the team is crap, especially at QB. Right now the Jets have a great DL, mediocre LB's and a poor secondary with ZERO depth. On offense they have an aging and declining OL, one reliable RB, one passable TE and a very questionable QB situation.

But with Kersey, Decker, and Jackson, they'd have a starting 3 WR group as good as any in the league. But I doubt they'd meet with much success even if Smith shows a nice 2nd year improvement. Last season the Jets lost the FEWEST starters to injuries of any team in the league. If our injury situation improves 25% and theirs worsens by 25% the Jets are going to be in deep ****.

With 12 picks in the middle of most rounds, the Jets are going to improve their personnel and be a better team. However I will be surprised if they match their 8-8 record of last season. A lot of things had to go right for the Jets to reach that "lofty" mark. This season reminds me of the 2002 Pats, who were a better team personnel wise than the 11-5 2001 group, but in the end were lucky to wind up 9-7.

The Jets will be a better team in 2014, imho, but will end up with a worse record. However by 2015, if Smith keeps on improving and they draft well, the Jets will be a real contender for the AFCE crown. In fact by 2015 the AFCE is going to be one of the toughest divisions in the league
Do you honestly believe that Smith has the smarts/drive/ability to be a top-tier quarterback in this league? I don't. Otherwise, I agree with much of what you say. (And loved the WR Nazis reference :D.)

Jackson makes sense for a contender like the Patriots

In NY he'd just be wasted cap space that will ultimately not turn the Jets into a SB contender

Seems like a win/win to me whether Jackson comes to NE or goes to the Jets

And it would be just like Belichick to spook the Jets into making a stupid move. It's happened before.

But I'd prefer to have a 2007 caliber offense (and a top D) here in NE, as we already know the Jets will suck no matter what.

You guys are setting me up for a huge let down. Please stop

Dri archer would be as good as him. Cheaper too.

I don't dislike Archer, but aren't we getting a little bit ahead of ourselves comparing a receiving RB to an NFL veteran deep threat WR of Jackson's caliber?

Best let Archer gain a yard on the ground or air in the NFL before we put him in Canton.

You guys are setting me up for a huge let down. Please stop

Well don't take the bait.

Jackson to the Pats would only happen if Wilfork was released, McCourty, Connolly, and Gostowski all got extended and Jackson agreed to redo his deal (never would happen) for his base salary to be more than half of what he is set to get from the Eagles, which is $10.5m.

Just no way it will happen.

Assuming this isn't just Belichick trying to spook the Jets into overspending, and he's actually interested in Jackson, this would indicate the Pats are in full blown "win now" mode (for the next 3 years no less!)

Jets joined talks after Pats were already involved.

IMHO just BB doing his due diligence.

No way we will absorb $10m in cap space for a WR who is pretty fast but short on football IQ.

The prospect of Jackson's skill set in the Patriots O is salivating but I still see the addition of pass rushers and run stoppers as a more critical area of need than the addition of Jackson. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome him with open arms but, I'd want Jackson to repeat seasons of 1300 yards and 9+ Touchdowns at $10 million per.

Watch him end up in Denver.

At this point, the Broncos are not going to add a guy known as a down the field threat with Manning. Even Demaryius Thomas who has down the field capabilities rarely caught passes down the field last year. Manning doesn't have the arm strength anymore to utilize a guy like Jackson. I doubt they would add him.

And with Thomas due a new contract, I don't see them having two WRs who are among the top paid players in the league,

I'd do back flips if BB could pull this off. I could see Brady breaking some records.

Well don't take the bait.

Jackson to the Pats would only happen if Wilfork was released, McCourty, Connolly, and Gostowski all got extended and Jackson agreed to redo his deal (never would happen) for his base salary to be more than half of what he is set to get from the Eagles, which is $10.5m.

Just no way it will happen.

While I don't see this happening, wouldn't all it take on our part is releasing Vince? That would give us about 11.5 million in cap room. We would be 1 million under the cap and have 3 months to restructure other players in order to sign the rookies in June.

» Over the Cap- DeSean Jackson Salary Cap and Contract Page

I imagine we could push money into later years as well as Jackson doesn't have much money guaranteed in 2015/2016. The cap is rapidly growing in the next few years and in 2015 the pats can purge themselves of their bad contracts (Amendola, Arrington, Mankins).

After the Pats obtained Revis, I won't ever put a patriot rumor in the "not happening" category again (aside from Fitzgerald :D).

I'd do back flips if BB could pull this off. I could see Brady breaking some records.

Keep your fingers crossed. Strange things are happening.

After the Pats obtained Revis, I won't ever put a patriot rumor in the "not happening" category again (aside from Fitzgerald :D).

What?! We're getting Fitzgerald?!?!

7nglu.jpg

Do we need Jackson? Don't get me wrong, I love him, I'd love to have him and he'd be good.

But if we get him, we'd have 8 recievers, correct? Or is it 7? Which'd mean cutting one or two, then who do you cut? Amendola? Boyce? Thompkins?

You'll probably say Amendola, but I like him. He was playing with injuries last year and he was still a solid receiver. Granted his contract leaves much to be desired but I still think he has something to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes