PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver reportedly shopping Jarvis Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Younger and cheaper than Julius Peppers!

Seriously, I agree his contract may be a bit too much to take on. But I think he's worth a look.

younger and cheaper... and much worse. You get what you pay for. A 24 year old crappy player is still a crappy player. If he can't play for Denver he can't play for us.

When did McDaniels become this incredible BBesque talent evaluator? Please don't give me the whole "He trained under bb blah blah blah." routine either. Look at Mangini and Crennel, they haven't fared so well in their own talent evaluations and calling the shots. Why would we expect any different from Mcdaniels?

Sure Moss's salary sux. I say wait for the kid to be released, then bring him into camp if BB feels he can do absolutely anything with him. What's their to lose at that point?

younger and cheaper... and much worse. You get what you pay for. A 24 year old crappy player is still a crappy player. If he can't play for Denver he can't play for us.

A crappy player based on what? That he broke his his rookie year and went on IR? That he played only sporadically last year at 4-3 DE and didn't look stellar in one of the worst defenses in the NFL?

He may end up being worse than Monty Beisel. But who knows? Why not take a look for ourselves if he's available cheaply? I'm surprised at the resistance to even taking a look at the kid.

When did McDaniels become this incredible BBesque talent evaluator? Please don't give me the whole "He trained under bb blah blah blah." routine either. Look at Mangini and Crennel, they haven't fared so well in their own talent evaluations and calling the shots. Why would we expect any different from Mcdaniels?

Sure Moss's salary sux. I say wait for the kid to be released, then bring him into camp if BB feels he can do absolutely anything with him. What's their to lose at that point?

For the record, Crennel wasn't choosing the talent.

For the record, Crennel wasn't choosing the talent.

You honestly believe that Crennel had absolutely no say, whatsoever, in NONE of the players that they brought to Cleveland? Also, according to what record? Did you read this somewhere?

You honestly believe that Crennel had absolutely no say, whatsoever, in NONE of the players that they brought to Cleveland? Also, according to what record? Did you read this somewhere?

Savage chose the talent. I'm sure Crennel had input, but Savage chose the talent.

vrabel wasn't worth it to the steelers........phifer wasn't' worth it to the jets.....harrison wasn't worth it to the chargers.......moss wasn't worth it to the raiders.........

I do love that logic.

"If he's available, he couldn't be any good!"

Having said that, a young signed 1st rounder, I'd sure get out the character detectives first.

Lack of production is partially due to breaking his shin, though.

Last edited:

Well said....

Savage chose the talent. I'm sure Crennel had input, but Savage chose the talent.

Yeah, Crennel got into one of those situations where the owner hires an egomaniac GM and the coach has to deal with the A-holes he signs.

He actually whipped "G.I. Joe" Winslow into shape, but a coach can't last at odds with a GM.

2007 season

During the 2007 season, Moss played in 6 games for the Denver Broncos. He recorded 12 tackles and 1 sack[4]. Moss broke his shin in practice on November 1, 2007[5], and was placed on injured reserve on November 2, 2007[6], ending his season.

[edit] 2008 season

During the 2008 season Moss played in 12 games only recording 12 tackles and 2.5 sacks

Maybe Josh is like the posters here and likes to give away players who are prone to having their shins snapped.

I don't know anything else about him but I imagine rehabbing from a broken shin before you even got your sea legs and switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 might tend to stunt your development.

I like gifts, personally. Remember when Rodney Harrison was injured and washed up? Or Randy Moss.

"If he's available, he couldn't be any good!":D

Last edited:

Oh yes. And, Im sure none of the talent acquired in Cleveland had anything to do with Crennel. You simply made the statement as if you were in the war room, or in the coaches meetings. In a very matter of fact way.

There is no way that none of those players were acquired without Crennel being able to convince Savage that that's their guy. Let's be honest here and not try to throw Crennel bone.

The point being is that people are posting on here with the logic that "Hey, if McDaniels doesn't want em, then we don't want 'em." I feel that type of reasoning never enters into BB's mind, and why should it?

Maybe Josh is like the posters here and likes to give away players who are prone to having their shins snapped.

I don't know anything else about him but I imagine rehabbing from a broken shin before you even got your sea legs and switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 might tend to stunt your development.

I like gifts, personally. Remember when Rodney Harrison was injured and washed up? Or Randy Moss.

"If he's available, he couldn't be any good!":D

Great line. The kid busted his shin his rookie year and hasn't really had a chance to settle in. He may be a bust in more ways than one, but why not take a look? If we just want young and cheap we can go with Billdog; but young, (relatively) cheap and 6'6" 260# with athletic ability isn't as easy to find.

I think McDaniels and Mangini are both being pretty quick to jettison people who aren't "their" guys. Moss has talent - that may not be enough, but it should be enough to warrant a look.

Oh yes. And, Im sure none of the talent acquired in Cleveland had anything to do with Crennel. You simply made the statement as if you were in the war room, or in the coaches meetings. In a very matter of fact way.

There is no way that none of those players were acquired without Crennel being able to convince Savage that that's their guy. Let's be honest here and not try to throw Crennel bone.

The point being is that people are posting on here with the logic that "Hey, if McDaniels doesn't want em, then we don't want 'em." I feel that type of reasoning never enters into BB's mind, and why should it?

Ok, so a simple clarification is now going down this road? Great, here you go:

Flawed system

What started out as a coach-GM partnership eventually frittered into a GM-takes-the-turf scenario

That fact became more and more apparent as Monday went on and more and more folks started talking about the Browns' situation.

Lerner conceded Monday morning that former GM Phil Savage had final say in the hiring of assistant coaches.

Savage always was in charge of the draft.

And, as Savage said many times, he chose the 53-man-roster.

This had coach Romeo Crennel in a position of leading a team of players he didn't choose or draft and working with coaches that were not his.

Consider a head coach working with two coordinators he did not hire. That's what Crennel did this season.

This is not to say that Crennel did not like and respect Rob Chudzinski and Mel Tucker. He did.

But Savage picked them.

The coaching staff, for instance, did not favor the drafting of linebacker Beau Bell or tight end Martin Rucker.

Savage decided to do so, and even traded a future draft pick to acquire Rucker.

As the season went on, neither played. Because the coaches did not think they could.

Jerome Harrison was used as a change-of-pace back, and at times, it was effective. But the coaching staff did not think he could handle a larger workload. Same with Joshua Cribbs, who had trouble learning plays at receiver, let alone quarterback.

Draft picks also found homes in Cleveland for a longer time than the coaching staff deemed worthy. Word around the league was that if a player was drafted by the Browns, he'd get three years no matter what he did.

Guys like Antonio Perkins, Babatunde Oshinowo, David McMillan, DeMario Minter and Isaac Sowells were carried for two or three years because the guy who drafted them decided on the final roster.

Ohio.com - Structural problems need new engineer

Take it up with the author.

I was just saying he'd be worth considering........

up until now, the broncos have not played a down in the 3-4, so who knows his value at this time.....

mike vrabel was a crappy player when he was 24........

I think McDaniels and Mangini are both being pretty quick to jettison people who aren't "their" guys. Moss has talent - that may not be enough, but it should be enough to warrant a look.

When you're new and establishing a new system, you need eliminate distractions, or bad fits. Conversely, when you're established and have a well oiled machine, you can spend some time developing a talent who had a bad experience and needs to transition.

Let's face it, they hold that little party in April for some reason. It would be great if all the guys that didn't get picked always had the same talent as those picked in round one...

Of course there could be more problems, but no one here has indicated special knowledge.

Ok, so a simple clarification is now going down this road? Great, here you go:

Ohio.com - Structural problems need new engineer

Take it up with the author.

This article was written at the end of the regime, and clearly states that when the whole thing was started it was a Coach-GM partnership. I'm not reaching here, and you're failing see the obvious in my original statement.

I bet Crennel had nothing to do with signing Mcginest too did he?

This article was written at the end of the regime, and clearly states that when the whole thing was started it was a Coach-GM partnership.

Do you expect to find an article that says "Crennel hired as lackey with no power" after Savage?

Savage controlled the draft and the roster and eventually fired and picked new assistants. How worse a GM coach situation is possible?

Believe me, this was predicted, but considering this ridiculousness is already documented in this thread....

This article was written at the end of the regime, and clearly states that when the whole thing was started it was a Coach-GM partnership. I'm not reaching here, and you're failing see the obvious in my original statement.

I bet Crennel had nothing to do with signing Mcginest too did he?

You are reaching and you've deliberately tried to twist what I said.

"Savage chose the talent. I'm sure Crennel had input, but Savage chose the talent."

I backed this up with an article verifying my position. You've done nothing but repeat the same thing over and over, despite the evidence to the contrary.

"Savage always was in charge of the draft."
"Savage had final say in the hiring of assistant coaches."

Apparently "always" means something different to you than it does to me. Savage chose the talent, not Crennel. Accept it and move on.

Last edited:
Do you expect to find an article that says "Crennel hired as lackey with no power" after Savage?

Savage controlled the draft and the roster and eventually fired and picked new assistants. How worse a GM coach situation is possible?

Believe me, this was predicted, but considering this ridiculousness is already documented in this thread....

It's as someone is passing out silliness pills this offseason, and it's even been infecting long-time quality posters.

Maybe I need to start drinking.

Last edited:
You are reaching and you've deliberately tried to twist what I said.

"Savage chose the talent. I'm sure Crennel had input, but Savage chose the talent."

I backed this up with an article verifying my position. You've done nothing but repeat the same thing over and over, despite the evidence to the contrary.

"Savage always was in charge of the draft."
"Savage had final say in the hiring of assistant coaches."

Apparently "always" means something different to you than it does to me. Savage chose the talent, not Crennel. Accept it and move on.

Okay, Ill give it to ya. Crennel gave input, that input was never taken, and none of the players on that roster were there because of Crennel. It was ALWAYS Savage.

It still doesn't change the simple fact that because our ex-coaches dont want a player, its ridiculous to think the pats would find no use for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News