PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver reportedly shopping Jarvis Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Clay Matthews, Connor Barwin, Everette Brown. Any of them would be great right now:D. BB always has to do things the hard way and make us speculate and spend time posting and fighting to see who would fit better. :)

It keeps this offseason busy and keeps the activity up for the forums for the die hards like all of us!! BB got a plan dont sweat it!!!:D

lot's of guy's dont like cause it look's like the pat's are going with unproven LB so why would any one like the idea of tradeing for Jarvis Moss a proven bust he was only asked to do one thing with denver get to the QB and he could not do that so how could he go from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB and not just pasrush but cover TE and play the run just becaue he has size and speed dose not meen he's a good fit for the pats at lest Burgess has played in the 3-4 and had 16 sack's as a 3-4 OLB burgess maybe older but when healthy is one of the best passrusher's in the NFL i realy dont care for burgess or moss i would like to see what crable can do but if i had to pick between them i would take burgess

If McDaniels is shopping him for a 7th, what do you think that says to the Patriots?

Salary dump? He has impressive size and speed, but can he play 3-4 OLB competently? He hasn't shown anything in two years and he was a 1st round pick.

I say BB says no to the former Florida DE with prototypical size and speed. Here's why: Jeremy Mincey :nosmile:

Mincey actually cost BB more, a 6th round pick. I don't really see fire behind the smoke though. Sounds more like conjecture than solid news.

So, let me understand this one, Box.

Your binky (and mine) Connor Barwin just went to Houston at #46. Like Moss he was a lanky and athletically gifted DE/OLB prospect with terrific athleticism but a bit on the raw side, who was picked partly for his potential with the assumption that it would take him a bit of time to develop. Like Moss, he showed nice ability to block the passing lines and on special teams (Moss, like Barwin, was known for blocking multiple kicks while at Florida). Like Moss, he ends up being drafted to play 4-3 DE rather than 3-4 OLB. Suppose Barwin plays sporadically (as expected) his rookie year and then (like Moss) fractures his shin and goes on IR for the remainder of the season. He comes back and plays sporadically, showing some flashes but not making an enormous impact. Houston then fires Gary Kubiak after 2010 and brings in Bill O'Brian (who has been promoted to Pats OC in 2010) as their new HC. O'Brian switches Houston to a 3-4 defense and decides that Barwin is not his guy, and offers him up for a late round draft pick.

Would you not be interested?

Moss was never my binky to the degree that Barwin was, but he certainly was an intriguing 3-4 OLB prospect in 2007 who I hoped we would consider at 24 or 28. Denver took him at 17. He compares favorably to Aaron Maybin. He was an all-american in 2006, showed terrific speed and pursuit off the edge, blocked kicks, and dominated in the 2007 national championship game. He was bigger, stronger, and faster than Maybin, ran a 4.62 at 250+ lbs. at 6'6".

So the kids missed most of his rookie year due to injury, was a raw prospect who needed some time to develop anyway, and has never had a prolonged look at 3-4 OLB. And we wouldn't even consider using a late round pick on him?

I'm not saying that Moss will be a success at OLB. All I'm saying is that I hope BB takes a look at him himself and decides if he's worth a look.

This whole argument is so stupid. Moss has never been touted as a 3-4 prospect by anyone except message board draft gurus such as yourself who think you know what you are talking about. Much like Michael Johnson this year, Moss is far too long in the torso and lacks both the upper and lower body strength to hold the edge ( I recall he did something pretty dissapointing like 15 bench press reps at the combine). A 3-4 OLB needs to be an absolute physical specimen- with superior athletiscm (which Moss does possess) as well the power and leverage to hold at the point of attack against the run. Use your brain- there's a reason Denver wants nothing to do with him. He doesn't fit their system and transitively certainly wouldnt fit the Patriot's.

This whole argument is so stupid. Moss has never been touted as a 3-4 prospect by anyone except message board draft gurus such as yourself who think you know what you are talking about. Much like Michael Johnson this year, Moss is far too long in the torso and lacks both the upper and lower body strength to hold the edge ( I recall he did something pretty dissapointing like 15 bench press reps at the combine). A 3-4 OLB needs to be an absolute physical specimen- with superior athletiscm (which Moss does possess) as well the power and leverage to hold at the point of attack against the run. Use your brain- there's a reason Denver wants nothing to do with him. He doesn't fit their system and transitively certainly wouldnt fit the Patriot's.

Close call on the BP (16). I didn't realize it had been so low: THE HYBRIDS, THE FREAKS, THE PASS RUSHERS The Watercooler Guys

You seem a little vehement, given all that I suggested was that the Pats take a look at him. And I'm certainly not a "guru" of anything. You may be right about Moss not being able to hold the edge, though I'm not sure his bench press is a particularly good indication - he has long arms which hurt his reps, and I don't think the bench press is a good indication of functional strength. 6'6" 260# guys with freakish athletic ability (which you admit) don't come around every day, and all I was suggesting is that the Pats take a look, not that he's the coming savior. But if you want a "stupid" argument, to use your words, then I would vote for "He doesn't fit their system and transitively certainly wouldn't fit the Patriot's". That's about as dumb as you can get.

lot's of guy's dont like cause it look's like the pat's are going with unproven LB so why would any one like the idea of tradeing for Jarvis Moss a proven bust he was only asked to do one thing with denver get to the QB and he could not do that so how could he go from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB and not just pasrush but cover TE and play the run just becaue he has size and speed dose not meen he's a good fit for the pats at lest Burgess has played in the 3-4 and had 16 sack's as a 3-4 OLB burgess maybe older but when healthy is one of the best passrusher's in the NFL i realy dont care for burgess or moss i would like to see what crable can do but if i had to pick between them i would take burgess

Say this sentence three times real fast!:eek::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey