PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver reportedly shopping Jarvis Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, all this for a 7th rd pick.
Risk/Reward is worth it.

Not bad when you consider we cut 4th,5th, and 6th rounders around here on a usual basis

Pretty clear he is worth a 7th rounder. The question is he worth $2.3 million per year.

I'd personally take him over TBC as competition for Crable and Redd. He has the length and the speed.

Why? We already know that TBC has contributed in the Pats system. Denver's not dumping a first round draft pick because they think he is likely to become a productive NFL player.

What would you say to a team asking if they should sign Chad Jackson?

I'm not sure I see Elvis Dumervil as a stud OLB. Time will tell.

It's quite possible that Jarvis Moss is too stiff to play out of the 2 point. It's also possible that he isn't adept another at taking on blockers or handling the point of attack. It's also possible that he's too slow to read and react. All of those things are also true of Everette Brown, Brian Orapko, Aaron Maybin and all of the other 3-4 OLB conversion prospects in this past draft.

Whatever else, Moss is a young kid with terrific length, size and speed and good pass rushing capabilities. There aren't too many 6'6" 4.65 guys out there, as a starting point. He may very well not be worth signing. All I'm saying is that he may merit BB and company taking a look at him for themselves before making a decision.

Agreed. At the very least, he would be a stud ST'er. If he'd be willing to restructure, I could see it being a viable move.

When could McDaniels have looked at him? Teams haven't reported yet. They may have glotten a glimpse of him at "voluntary workouts" but they certainly haven't put on the pads and had contact yet. All I'm saying is that they can't have given him anything more than a cursory look at OLB as the basis for their decision.
I believe Denver already had their first mini-camp, Josh and Mike have film of practices and games from the last two years, I suspect they have all the information they need to move dead weight off the roster. I vote "no."

Why? We already know that TBC has contributed in the Pats system. Denver's not dumping a first round draft pick because they think he is likely to become a productive NFL player.

What would you say to a team asking if they should sign Chad Jackson?

Youth and upside. TBC is 4 years older than Moss and his ceiling is pretty well known. Moss is 4" taller with much more athleticism and potential.

We already know what TBC has contributed in the Pats system. And that's all we're likely to get. It can easily be replaced if Moss fails. If he succeeds, then we could get much much more.

A 7th round pick is nothing. $2.3M is an issue, though not an insurmountable one, particularly if the kid is willing to restructure for a chance to make something of himself on a contending team with a need. And presumably Urban Meyer may have some influence on whether BB is willing to take a flier on the kid.

When could McDaniels have looked at him? Teams haven't reported yet. They may have glotten a glimpse of him at "voluntary workouts" but they certainly haven't put on the pads and had contact yet. All I'm saying is that they can't have given him anything more than a cursory look at OLB as the basis for their decision.

He's got 2 years of tape.

The kid is 6'6 right? 270ish? WHy not see if he can put on 20 lbs of muscle and play end in the 3-4?

Denver plays the 3-4. McDaniels is a Belichick-schooled coach.

If Moss could handle the duties of a 3-4 OLB, why would Denver trade him?

If Moss could bulk up and play 3-4 end, Why would Denver tade him.

Denver's defense sucks. Really bad. If McDaniels saw any capability for Moss to contribute, why would he be holding a fire sale?

Denver plays the 3-4. McDaniels is a Belichick-schooled coach.

Josh McDaniels was an offensive coordinator last year. Given how heavily NE segments their operations, I'd say he knows comparitively little to nothing about 3-4 LBs. He did serve as a defensive coaching assistant for a year in 2002, but I wouldn't say that makes him an expert.

I could see the argument being made about Pioli, but McDaniels is an offensive/QB guy.

Denver's defense sucks. Really bad. If McDaniels saw any capability for Moss to contribute, why would he be holding a fire sale?

Who says he is? Its FoxSports reporting this, and they're about as reliable as... FoxNews.

Josh McDaniels was an offensive coordinator last year. Given how heavily NE segments their operations, I'd say he knows comparitively little to nothing about 3-4 LBs. He did serve as a defensive coaching assistant for a year in 2002, but I wouldn't say that makes him an expert.

I could see the argument being made about Pioli, but McDaniels is an offensive/QB guy.

McDaniels like every offensive coach grown through the system started as an assistant on the defensive side of the ball. Belichick believes that to be a great offensive coach, you gotta understand defense. McDaniels spent the 2002 and 2003 season on the defensive side of the ball working under Crennel.

He's got 2 years of tape.

The kid is 6'6 right? 270ish? WHy not see if he can put on 20 lbs of muscle and play end in the 3-4?

2 years of tape of Moss as a 4-3 DE. Not as a 3-4 OLB. He's never had a prolonged trial at the position. We go on and on about how even in the good cases (Vrabel) it's a difficult transition to make. How can anyone decide this kid doesn't deserve the chance based on at most one minicamp playing at 3-4 OLB? That's ridiculous.

I will say this: Jarvis Moss has a better chance of being a successful 3-4 OLB for the Pats than Vernon Gholston ever did. Better height, range, agility, quicker off the edge, better at disrupting the passing lanes. Better motor. And at a fraction of the cost.

As far as 3-4 DE goes, because Moss is a 6'6" lean guy who should probably be playing at 250-260 lbs., and who's best assets are his speed in pursuit, his height and long arms, and his quick first step off the edge. Bulking him up to 265-270 lbs. probably hurt him. He doesn't have the frame to carry the weight for a 3-4 DE well, and it would neutralize his assets.

vrabel wasn't worth it to the steelers........phifer wasn't' worth it to the jets.....harrison wasn't worth it to the chargers.......moss wasn't worth it to the raiders.........
Monty Biesel, Duane Starks, Delthea Oneil.

Expecting this guy who sucked last year to suddenly be good because Phifer, Vrabel, etc were good is silly.

He may or may not be any good, and I certainly have no issue with gambling a seventh round pick, but you have to look at him with red flags flying if JM is willing to swallow the rest of his sb just to get him off the team.

Players with that kind of salary and lack of production are routinely cut after being shopped for a 7th round pick. I don't think there is any need to trade for Moss and his salary. Simply wait for the Broncos to release him and he will be available for the minimum.

Broncos fans weigh in on the guy (salty language included, so be warned):

Jarvis Moss - Broncos Forums

Perusing this site convinces me of two things. A: Not many football savvy fans posting there, B: Moss might be worth a look here. I'll defer to BB on this. He knows if Moss is worth a look, I'm just whistling in the dark.....

I believe Denver already had their first mini-camp, Josh and Mike have film of practices and games from the last two years, I suspect they have all the information they need to move dead weight off the roster. I vote "no."

So, let me understand this one, Box.

Your binky (and mine) Connor Barwin just went to Houston at #46. Like Moss he was a lanky and athletically gifted DE/OLB prospect with terrific athleticism but a bit on the raw side, who was picked partly for his potential with the assumption that it would take him a bit of time to develop. Like Moss, he showed nice ability to block the passing lines and on special teams (Moss, like Barwin, was known for blocking multiple kicks while at Florida). Like Moss, he ends up being drafted to play 4-3 DE rather than 3-4 OLB. Suppose Barwin plays sporadically (as expected) his rookie year and then (like Moss) fractures his shin and goes on IR for the remainder of the season. He comes back and plays sporadically, showing some flashes but not making an enormous impact. Houston then fires Gary Kubiak after 2010 and brings in Bill O'Brian (who has been promoted to Pats OC in 2010) as their new HC. O'Brian switches Houston to a 3-4 defense and decides that Barwin is not his guy, and offers him up for a late round draft pick.

Would you not be interested?

Moss was never my binky to the degree that Barwin was, but he certainly was an intriguing 3-4 OLB prospect in 2007 who I hoped we would consider at 24 or 28. Denver took him at 17. He compares favorably to Aaron Maybin. He was an all-american in 2006, showed terrific speed and pursuit off the edge, blocked kicks, and dominated in the 2007 national championship game. He was bigger, stronger, and faster than Maybin, ran a 4.62 at 250+ lbs. at 6'6".

So the kids missed most of his rookie year due to injury, was a raw prospect who needed some time to develop anyway, and has never had a prolonged look at 3-4 OLB. And we wouldn't even consider using a late round pick on him?

I'm not saying that Moss will be a success at OLB. All I'm saying is that I hope BB takes a look at him himself and decides if he's worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes