PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard, Ryan and Arrington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the OL warranting a 1-2 round selection myself, unless it's an elite tackle (yes, you heard me correctly). I've never been a huge advocate of spending 1st/2nd rounders at the interior positions, although obviously my opinion means nothing.
If the New England Patriots want a plug and play offensive center from the 2014 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots need to seriously consider expending a second round draft pick on a center.

2014 NFL Draft Center Rankings | Static | Rankings

The best center prospects this decade have been selected in the first or second round.

I'm seeing OL, DL, TE, and S as good possibilities in the first 4 rounds myself.
The New England Patriots have drafted three safeties in the last two drafts. The best alternative would be to sign an unrestricted free agent safety on a cheap one year prove it deal such as Major Wright or Thomas DeCoud, for instance.

2014 NFL Free Agents - Free Agency Update - Rotoworld.com

BTW after the Revis press conference today, I doubt he only stays here one year. Probably tired of switching teams every year and I think he actually wants to be a patriot. My guess is sometime this year, he will sign a 3 year extension in the 36 million ballpark

If you read some of the things Ty Law said about him I also really doubt he leaves NE anytime soon. He was talking about how happy Revis is since agreeing and how he's in a much better state of mind since coming here.

If the New England Patriots want a plug and play offensive center from the 2014 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots need to seriously consider expending a second round draft pick on a center.

2014 NFL Draft Center Rankings | Static | Rankings

The best center prospects this decade have been selected in the first or second round.

The New England Patriots have drafted three safeties in the last two drafts. The best alternative would be to sign an unrestricted free agent safety on a cheap one year prove it deal such as Major Wright or Thomas DeCoud, for instance.

2014 NFL Free Agents - Free Agency Update - Rotoworld.com

They drafted three players listed as safeties.

Nate Ebner was drafted to be a safety as much as Matthew Slater was drafted to be a wide receiver.

.....because he hasn't had the depth at that position that he now has.

This isn't "year after year'.

You DO agree that the secondary depth is a bit different as of last Friday, no?

You're missing my point: Belichick has shown, year after year, that he is willing to sacrifice some depth on offense and defense to keep players who primarily/exclusively play ST.

I'm not saying he'll keep all three of them, merely that he places a higher value on ST ability than do many on this forum.

They drafted three players listed as safeties.

Nate Ebner was drafted to be a safety as much as Matthew Slater was drafted to be a wide receiver.
The New England Patriots should not continue to neglect other positions of need (interior offensive line, interior defensive line) at the expense of the safety position via the NFL Draft. Enough is enough.

Meriweather, Brandon - 1st Round 2007
Chung, Patrick - 2nd Round 2009
Wilson, Tavon - 2nd Round 2012
Harmon, Duron - 3rd Round 2013

A colossal mistake is trading a first and a fourth for Darrelle Revis then cutting him a year later, or trading a first for Trent Richardson then actually trying to use him. This is just a garden variety mistake, and a rare one in that most of us realized it was a mistake in at the moment that it was made.

Cutting Arrington would be an acknowledgement that the contract that he got was a mistake, but so what? That's the truth, regardless of whether or not it's acknowledged. Once that's clear, it's better for the team to accept the sunk cost and move on once it becomes feasible to do so. I'd much, much prefer that to holding on to the guy in hopes that he unexpectedly becomes a better player and justifies his contract. That's what losing franchises and GMs who are afraid for their jobs do.

Note: I don't think that Arrington will be cut this year. The financial incentive isn't there yet. He's overpaid, but most of that cost is sunk anyway. Luckily this is the last year that that will be the case.

Ridiculous. You FINALLY have some depth at CB and you want to cut it for a mere $1 Million. The last time we had that much CB depth, we stopped the "Greatest Show on Turf". There are more way than what the Seachickens did. to stop a good QB with lots of receiving weapons.

Recall the SB against the Rams.

Ridiculous. You FINALLY have some depth at CB and you want to cut it for a mere $1 Million. The last time we had that much CB depth, we stopped the "Greatest Show on Turf". There are more way than what the Seachickens did. to stop a good QB with lots of receiving weapons.

Recall the SB against the Rams.

Next time, try reading the entire post before rushing to post an indignant response

I post ignant responses all the time....:confused2:

Revis gets Megatron.
And shuts him down.

Yes. Yes he does.

revismegatron.jpg

Arrington is really god awful and I hope he doesn't move to safety. He can't tackle, although I'm used to him chasing behind guys as they go by, maybe if we put them in front of him, he could do it. I literally watch a CB blitz by him where he gets in there and can't finish the play and wrap a guy up. Last one I remember he actually landed on his back side (Colt p/o game I believe). I know everyone thinks he is great in the slot but I've seen him struggle past 7 feet without help. In the Bronco's game referenced, others were helping to knock Welker off the route, makes it a quite bit easier. Also, he's trained against Welker for years so I think he'd be able to recognize how to play him at this point. What about the other 15 regular season games he's got to play against unknowns. Arrington seems like he often has to "find" his guy past 7-8 feet and often you can see that each team knows this and plays it 3rd down. It does no good to cut the guy until 2015 so I choose to celebrate his ST help. You really can't screw up downfield running at a target or making it look that way to occupy a block. So kudos.

I hope Ryan continues to improve, I think he will be quite a steal with his reads (great Manning pick) and his physical play.

Dennard I think will end up being above average but he really got toasted by DT in the AFCCG…more than once. I love that he always in the mix for the ball and is strong on it (again Colts game).

Honestly, I really liked the kid Justin Green. Thought he showed great ability and toughness in his short moments. Hope to see more of him in the TC and preseason games to get more of a feel.

I am excited to watch the secondary this season. I was happy with Talib but am stoked with Revis!

Reiss makes the point that Browner's calling card is bashing receivers at the line, and that's something CBs do, not safeties.

As for Arrington -- well, his forte is playing slot receivers, not split ends. :)

I can't really see Arrington working out as safety. He seems to have poor awareness when he's not one on one in the slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents