PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard arrested for DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the life of me, I cannot fathom why anybody on this forum reads his crap, much less reads it, then links it on the forum where other people can go to read it and give that dunce clicks. He sucks. He's basically a glorified troll that gets paid to do what he does and his website is an absolute joke. Please stop linking him.

Yup, and he even admitted it.

There was a Pats story out there (I forget what it was) that he tried to spin into red meat for Pats haters... and he closed the article with something like "normally I wouldn't make a big deal out of a story like this, but since it's the Patriots I will."

So there you have it, right from Florio. Pretty hard to take him seriously after that.

I believe you're dead on.
A classmate of mine went into DUI law. Lives on an estate bordering the water, a barn full of Arabian horses and kids sent to Harvard. All on getting NH drivers off on DUI, a very lucrative profession for the skilled.

As bad as this is, as a driver I'm much more worried about cell users and especially texters whose distracted driving I encounter almost every day. But that's a digression.

His first name wouldn't happen to be Bob?

Ask yourself this....if Dennard played for another team and they cut him, would you pick him up right now?

I can't imagine, at the very least, that he isn't facing a league suspension.

Then, on top of that, he is probably facing jail time for this parole violation.

Nebraska code for Parole violation:

5) Immediately after arrest and detention pursuant to subsection (4) of this section, the probation officer shall notify the county attorney of the county where probation was imposed and submit a written report of the reason for such arrest and of any violation of probation. After prompt consideration of such written report, the county attorney shall:

(a) Order the probationer's release from confinement; or

(b) File with the sentencing court a motion or information to revoke the probation.

(6) Whenever a county attorney receives a report from a probation officer that a probationer has violated a condition of probation, the county attorney may file a motion or information to revoke probation.

§ 29-2266 — Probation; violation; procedure. :: Chapter 29 — Criminal Procedure :: 2006 Nebraska Code :: Nebraska Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Unless some miracle happens, I can't see Dennard not getting both a league suspension and jail time.

If this is true, would any of you pick him up if he was waived from another team? If the answer is no, then we need to cut him.

BTW, as an aside....imagine all those poor people who are struggling looking for work (through no fault of their own) and who don't get the opportunity to make a normal living nevermind make hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. This idiot gets a second chance and he drinks it away. My apologies to all the non-idiots who don't get that chance.

How stupid can someone be? Geez

I think cutting Dennard for this is a little premature. Yeah, he's a moron, but if you start cutting all your players for DUIs you could have trouble filling a 53 man roster.

The punching the cop incident happened before he was a Patriot so this is technically his first offense. DUIs are under the substance abuse policy. So I don't even know if Goodell can suspend Dennard for his under the personal conduct policy.

If I were part of the brain trust in Foxborough, I'd strongly advocate cutting him today. It's important to send a message to the rest of the players in camp, and the personnel scouts that enough is enough.

This is a job and a profession that comes with more money and perks than any of us can imagine. This guy was due to make $500,000 plus as a 23-year-old. I stay the hell out of trouble for a lot less than that. If a kid can't take a job like this seriously, the best thing for him is to teach him the hard way.

Seriously, how hard is it to stay off the road after drinking two weeks before camp for a pro football player in his college town? Anybody would drive him home to keep him out of trouble including the cops he messed with last year.

Cut him. It will cost pennies against the cap ($14k in 2013 and $29k in 2014) if they cut him today. http://patscap.com/

Send a message and move on.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why anybody on this forum reads his crap, much less reads it, then links it on the forum where other people can go to read it and give that dunce clicks. He sucks. He's basically a glorified troll that gets paid to do what he does and his website is an absolute joke. Please stop linking him.

I agree with not linking to him for stories like this, but he is plugged in as far as inside stories go. Drew Rousenhaus (and other agents, I assume) give him pretty good info. When he's not giving opinions, his site isn't half bad.

I said a few weeks ago Hernandez was the dumbest criminal alive for the alleged way he brazenly killed Odin Lloyd. I was wrong. How Dennard could see what's going on with his team and drink and drive, it's mind boggling. And doing it in Nebraska, where the cops are already keeping an eye out for him after his assault? Man, what an idiot. Can someone be suspended for sheer stupidity?

How stupid can someone be? Geez

I know I'm late to the party, but the first thing I thought was, "what a ******* idiot". I hope he goes to prison and the Pats cut him. He's had enough chances. **** him.

he is probably facing jail time for this parole violation.

For the second time in this thread he isn't on parole.

Parole is defined as

Early release of a prisoner who is then subject to continued monitoring as well as compliance with certain terms and conditions for a specified period.

If I were part of the brain trust in Foxborough, I'd strongly advocate cutting him today. It's important to send a message to the rest of the players in camp, and the personnel scouts that enough is enough.

With all due respect, I don't think whoever scouted Dennard screwed up here.

Ask yourself this....if Dennard played for another team and they cut him, would you pick him up right now?

Then, on top of that, he is probably facing jail time for this parole violation.

5) Immediately after arrest and detention pursuant to subsection (4) of this section, the probation officer shall notify the county attorney of the county where probation was imposed and submit a written report of the reason for such arrest and of any violation of probation. After prompt consideration of such written report, the county attorney shall:

(b) File with the sentencing court a motion or information to revoke the probation.

(6) Whenever a county attorney receives a report from a probation officer that a probationer has violated a condition of probation, the county attorney may file a motion or information to revoke probation.

§ 29-2266 — Probation; violation; procedure. :: Chapter 29 — Criminal Procedure :: 2006 Nebraska Code :: Nebraska Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Unless some miracle happens, I can't see Dennard not getting both a league suspension and jail time.

If this is true, would any of you pick him up if he was waived from another team? If the answer is no, then we need to cut him.

BTW, as an aside....imagine all those poor people who are struggling looking for work (through no fault of their own) and who don't get the opportunity to make a normal living nevermind make hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. This idiot gets a second chance and he drinks it away. My apologies to all the non-idiots who don't get that chance.

It is going to be very interesting to see how the wheels of Nebraska justice evolve from last nights' event.

Believe it or not - the Nebraska judge may not rule on a violation of probation if Dennard's probation officer doesn't find that Dennard violated his terms of probation. Until it is disclosed what his terms of probation are, then a lot of this is speculation toward Dennard.

The judge could order Dennard to enter a preventative substance abuse program based on any counseling and based on the probation officers' testimony regarding this incident.

Keep in mind that Dennard's sentence was suspended as well and this could reverse the suspended sentence based on his probation officers' recommendation and testimony.

Before everyone continues the call to cut him, one salient thing to keep in mind is that this was luckily a 'victimless crime' and may cause the court to place him in a preventative substance abuse program.

This is a likely scenario based on how courts in Nebraska treat DUI cases, especially 1st offender cases.

Cut the turd. Does it hurt the Pats to cut him? Yup. The Pats have been in situations before with no corners so they'll survive (somehow :mad: ).

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Parole is defined as

Early release of a prisoner who is then subject to continued monitoring as well as compliance with certain terms and conditions for a specified period.

Dennard never went to jail, he got a 30 day sentence that was delayed for a year.

So this

Is entirely irrelevant to this matter.

He is clueless and on probation for two years for the assault conviction. Different for sure, but he is still eligible to serve the balance of the two years if the court so orders.

This is a job and a profession that comes with more money and perks than any of us can imagine. This guy was due to make $500,000 plus as a 23-year-old. I stay the hell out of trouble for a lot less than that. If a kid can't take a job like this seriously, the best thing for him is to teach him the hard way.

Seriously, how hard is it to stay off the road after drinking two weeks before camp for a pro football player in his college town? Anybody would drive him home to keep him out of trouble including the cops he messed with last year.

Cut him. It will cost pennies against the cap ($14k in 2013 and $29k in 2014) if they cut him today. Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

The problem with cutting him and sending a "message" is that I just don't think it's going to have much of an effect on players. Some NFL players are simply proven dumbasses and nothing is going to deter them from screwing up if they are so inclined to do so. Hernandez is proof that losing money and fame isn't a deterrent - they simply aren't thinking on the rational level that keyboard jockeys like us are when we view these situations from afar.

At the end of the day, he'd just end up getting picked up by another team and making his money, and we'd be out one of our best defensive backs. I don't think the high road here has any real benefit for the Pats. I'd adlmost rather just go with whatever suspensions come down on him and move on.

Parole is defined as

"Complicating matters for the Pats is Dennard’s pending probation for his conviction arising from assaulting a cop. Dennard could end up being unavailable not because of suspension but due to incarceration."

Pats mum on Dennard, for now | ProFootballTalk

"Dennard is on two years probation, must serve a 30-day jail sentence in 2014, and perform community service following his conviction on a felony assault charge stemming from a dispute outside a Lincoln bar in 2012. Dennard was convicted of assaulting a police officer during the April 21, 2012 incident."

Patriots

“There are a lot of people who are watching you — young athletes who will model your behavior, your attitudes, particularly about law enforcement,” Judge Stephanie Stacy said. “I hope this order of probation gives you an opportunity to set a positive example and positively influence people.

“I encourage you take advantage of that. Good luck to you.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ard-arrested-on-suspicion-of-dui-report-says/

If Dennard gets any jail time, it will likely be weeks or a month or two added onto his jail time he is set to get. The judge could decide to make him serve his jail time immediately. But I doubt he will get significant jail time for a suspicion of DUI charge. People violate their parole and probation all the time and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist for minor offenses.

As for suspension, that is a gray area too. DUIs fall under the substance abuse policy. If Goodell looks at it that way, it is a two game check with no suspension violation for first offenses. I don't know if Goodell can take actions on this under the personal conduct policy.

From the Patriots:

"The New England Patriots are extremely disappointed to learn of Alfonzo Dennard’s arrest. We take this matter very seriously and are working to get more information on the incident."

Problems with cutting him.
Pats signed Stallworth who was convicted of killing a person while DUI so why the change in policy? Does ANYONE think that cutting this idiot will help the Pats image with the sports media? Nope, they'll bring up Stallworth as hypocrisy and call it a too little too late PR stunt. Patriot org in tailspin.

Then what happens were Gronk, TFB or whomever to get a DUI? While deliberately ignoring or dismissing Dennard's precursor behavior, the media would have a field day unless they too were cut. Disaster.

And at least some players would harbor justified thoughts of unequal treatment. Not good.

There's lots of downside to cutting this moron.

Problems with cutting him.
Pats signed Stallworth who was convicted of killing a person while DUI so why the change in policy? Does ANYONE think that cutting this idiot will help the Pats image with the sports media? Nope, they'll bring up Stallworth as hypocrisy and call it a too little too late PR stunt. Patriot org in tailspin.

Then what happens were Gronk, TFB or whomever to get a DUI? While deliberately ignoring or dismissing Dennard's precursor behavior, the media would have a field day unless they too were cut. Disaster.

And at least some players would harbor justified thoughts of unequal treatment. Not good.

There's lots of downside to cutting this moron.

To agree further with you: the Pats didn't cut Edelman.

To play Devil's advocate: those other players likely won't have probation agreements hanging over their heads.

Cut him. It will cost pennies against the cap ($14k in 2013 and $29k in 2014) if they cut him today. Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2013 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Do you cut a starter over a DUI. I don't even know if the cop thing comes into play since it happened before they drafted him. They could have told him they would have a zero tolerance policy with him which would make it worth cutting him.

I think cutting a player for a DUI is a dangerous presidence. If there was an understanding with Dennard that they were not going to put up with anything from him, that is one thing. But just to cut him to send a message to the rest of the team leaving a huge hole at RCB is a little silly and reactionary.

Dennard is just another in a decent list of turds where I will just root for the uniform. I mean if the Pats could take a wife beater to help win a championship in 2004 (Dillon), I think they can put up with a moron with a DUI who punched a cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes