PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard arrested for DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
but he was a patriot when he was convicted.

Who cares? He convicted of a crime that happened before he was a Patriot. Just because he was punished after he was a Patriot, doesn't change the fact he wasn't a Patriot when he committed the crime.

Doing this in the immediate aftermath of Hernandez demonstrates even greater levels of stupidity. It absolutely is a factor.

I agree it was stupid. But that's it stupid when you're employing 23 year old kids you have to accept some level of stupidity. Especially in terms of drinking and partying.

23 year olds get in cars after drinking by the millions every night of the week. I'm not saying its right and I'm not saying he shouldn't face some repercussions. At the end of the day it's a misdemeanor though.

It's worth noting that Dennard punched an off duty police officer in plain clothing, this officer attempted to insert himself into a fight without showing a badge. If your in the middle of a fight in a bar and someone in plain clothes is grabbing your arm its likely you'd defend yourself as well. He received a sentence indicative of someone who punched a cop in uniform.

but he was a patriot when he was convicted.

When he got convicted means nothing. It's when the incident took place which when it did he wasn't with the Patriots or even technically in the NFL.

When he got convicted means nothing. It's when the incident took place which when it did he wasn't with the Patriots or even technically in the NFL.

Not even technically - actually not in the NFL.

Faulk's second arrest is far less serious and, more importantly, didn't happen just three months after sentencing!

The two aren't nearly as comparable as you are making them out to be.

It was an off duty cop in street clothes. He did not show a badge he just went over and started grabbing an obviously agitated and drunk Dennard. Human instinct is to protect yourself.

baby steps...he's baby stepping...like in the movie "What About Bob?"..

what-about-bob.jpg

I sail. I SAIL!!!

All the Patriots need to go three for three is have Buchanon get arrested for
a barroom brawl in which his jaw is broken.

Who cares? He convicted of a crime that happened before he was a Patriot. Just because he was punished after he was a Patriot, doesn't change the fact he wasn't a Patriot when he committed the crime.

Lets be realistic with the fact that if the guy wearing plain clothes in the bar who grabbed Dennard didn't just happen to be a cop he likely would of even been arrested and even if he was it would of been misdemeanor assault at best, not nearly the charge or sentence he received.

22 and 23 year old kids drive drunk and throw punches in bars. I'm man enough to admit I did both at that age, as I'm sure most in this forum have. I'm not going to be hypercritical expecting more from Dennard because he plays football.

You want to cut Dennard to set a precedence? Well, what if Brady and Wilfork got pulled over tonight for a DUI too? Guess that means you'd want them cut tomorrow.

Please, every one yelling to cut him instantly for this DUI is completely overreacting because of Hernandez. Yes, Dennard acted immature again. Yes, DUIs are serious. Yes, it was completely bad timing for the team. However, this type of immature behavior isn't new in the NFL or the Patriots. What will be telling is how he acts from here out. If he continues to do stupid / immature things, then cut ties with him.

You want to cut Dennard to set a precedence? Well, what if Brady and Wilfork got pulled over tonight for a DUI too? Guess that means you'd want them cut tomorrow.

Please, every one yelling to cut him instantly for this DUI is completely overreacting because of Hernandez. Yes, Dennard acted immature again. Yes, DUIs are serious. Yes, it was completely bad timing for the team. However, this type of immature behavior isn't new in the NFL or the Patriots. What will be telling is how he acts from here out. If he continues to do stupid / immature things, then cut ties with him.

1. I disagree that Wilfork or Brady getting a DUI would be the same scenario as there is no prior history there, but there IS proven history of both being good leaders as well as great players. Not comparable even if it happens.

2. I do agree that cutting him would be an overreaction UNLESS they feel that this is expected behavior going forward in which case it would be in their total right to sack him.

All the Patriots need to go three for three is have Buchanon get arrested for
a barroom brawl in which his jaw is broken.

Who is Buchanon Do you mean Buchenden?

Playing "Drinking And Driving" by Black Flag now in honor of my man Dennard.

Um, WTF does drafting him have to do anything? The guy would have ended up on an NFL roster no matter what happened. He is a starting caliber NFL CB. You know how many there are in the league? Less than enough to fill out 32 teams. He made a mistake, a really dumb arse mistake, at a really bad time for the team, but that is no ground to cut a guy. Especially with 31 other teams frothing at the mouth to get a starting CB and laughing at the Patriots silliness to cut a guy for a 1st offense DUI.

When you mention a "1st offense DUI" in relation to Dennard, please complete the description of the offense as "1st offense DUI while on probation for an assault on a police officer conviction."

Yesterday was July 10, 2013, just three months since he stood in a court room on April 11, 2013 and was sentenced to two years probation and 30 days in jail for assaulting a police officer.

Who cares if other teams are "frothing at the mouth" to get a guy that gets arrested 90 days after he's cut a serious break with probation and a delayed jail sentence, who will surely be suspended by the NFL, and who will probably miss training camp next summer when they add a few months to his jail time?

They can have him.

When you mention a "1st offense DUI" in relation to Dennard, please complete the description of the offense as "1st offense DUI while on probation for an assault on a police officer conviction."

Yesterday was July 10, 2013, just three months since he stood in a court room on April 11, 2013 and was sentenced to two years probation and 30 days in jail for assaulting a police officer.

Who cares if other teams are "frothing at the mouth" to get a guy that gets arrested 90 days after he's cut a serious break with probation and a delayed jail sentence, who will surely be suspended by the NFL, and who will probably miss training camp next summer when they add a few months to his jail time?

They can have him.

Will you promise, if this happens and he then finds success with another team, not to criticize the Pats for letting him go?

Will you promise, if this happens and he then finds success with another team, not to criticize the Pats for letting him go?

In a heartbeat. Cutting him is the right choice regardless of what he does on a football field after this.

How is it okay for Dennard to drive drunk while on probation? Go ahead kid, do whatever you want. It's not like you killed somebody.

Who is Buchanon Do you mean Buchenden?

Michael Buchanan - Rookie 7th round draft pick DE who had a down senior season due to his jaw being wired shut from a bar fight and subsequent weight loss.

This is not a sarcastic remark, but an actual question. Why are the teams who draft these guys considered "accountable" , when the players are available in the draft? Shouldn't the NFL be responsible for not screening these players and keeping them off the draft list? :confused:. I see no problem drafting these guys at lower rounds. All players are responsible for their own actions, at any age. IMO

In a heartbeat. Cutting him is the right choice regardless of what he does on a football field after this.

How is it okay for Dennard to drive drunk while on probation? Go ahead kid, do whatever you want. It's not like you killed somebody.

Because driving drunk usually lacks any kind of criminal intent?

DUI really is something that can happen to almost anyone, no matter how "good" or how "virtuous" they are. I mean, it's kind of like making a big mistake when figuring out your taxes.

By definition, the person has been drinking and their mental process is impaired. What's one of the first things to go ? Rational decision making. We all understand this which is why we aren't surprised when someone does something stupid when they are drunk.

It's against the law and there's a price to be paid, but let's put this in a slightly different light. If Dennard were a mid level manager at some local company, do you think he should be fired for getting a DUI ? Should everyone who gets arrested for DUI this year be fired from their job because of it ?

This is not a sarcastic remark, but an actual question. Why are the teams who draft these guys considered "accountable" , when the players are available in the draft? Shouldn't the NFL be responsible for not screening these players and keeping them off the draft list? :confused:. I see no problem drafting these guys at lower rounds. All players are responsible for their own actions, at any age. IMO

I asked this same question in a separate thread and was told it was a dumb idea/illegal etc... At the very least, it the NFL can prevent guys with bad grades from attending the combine they should be able to do the same thing with guys with off-the-field issues. They could still hold individual workouts but it would at least make things difficult for them and provide more incentive to be clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents