PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch - Re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots have a need for a 1A vertical receiving threat who can blow the top off of the coverage for Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez. Imagine giving these three even MORE space to operate within.

In a perfect world the Patriots would be capable of signing Jonathan Stewart and whichever stud receiver of their choice.

If lloyd could be that player with Orton throwing him the ball, imagine what he could do with Brady.

i often think about what this team would have been like with their current tight ends with Moss-circa 2007. now that would be scary.

No. Get someone, anyone, that can get separation from a defender occasionally, whether it's a FA or in the draft.

I wouldn't miss Branch. He's had some clutch catches but they were more like clutch passes...

We really need a superstar deep threat again, bad.

As far as i'm concerned we're just one deep threat and a few loose ends tied up defensively from a potential shot at regaining the 19-0 that was stolen from us.

We need a real receiver - not Branch.

Maybe Ocho will finally learn the offense by next season...

If lloyd could be that player with Orton throwing him the ball, imagine what he could do with Brady.

i often think about what this team would have been like with their current tight ends with Moss-circa 2007. now that would be scary.

So with Lloyd will we get a Moss or Ocho ? As for drafting a WR, forget it. We can't evaluate them, nor know how to develop them since Branch & Givens of decade ago.

Let's hope he actually shows up for the game.. He's been non-existent for 3 of the past 7 weeks. And 3 of the other 4, his contribution was minimal.

Oddly that's not what Bill thinks. There is more to contributing in the WR role here than being targeted consistently on game day. It's the nature of the system. Branch gets that. Always did, although it chaffed him a little in his youth heading towards that 2nd contract back in the day. And he learned a very hard lesson in the process of securing his financial future. His on field contributions have been fine considering the circumstances. Ocho would kill for them at almost 3 times the cost. And he's been durable. And two Td's isn't minimal, especially when in one situation we won the game by 3 and had we not we'd have played last Sunday in Baltimore...

Deion will be here until we find someone to replace him. And considering we already took a 4 year shot at that and failed...it may be awhile.

Brady's a lot better QB than Orton, but he's also a lot more demanding QB and he has a lot more options...

Moss couldn't have co existed with these TE's...that's why he's gone.

I'm an anti-Branch guy. I hated how he left and enjoyed seeing him humbled. I hated when they resigned him. I think Brady makes him look very good when he's really average at best.

Yes, I'm bitter.

That being said with all the problems we've had getting quality WRs, we absolutely resign him. He disappears at times is hurt regularly, but he knows the system and is a team player. Other then the fact we're overpaying for what should be fairly basic WR slot, there's very little downside to resigning him.

This coming from a member who hated Wilfork and loved Crable ... :bricks:

Yes, he has being productive and he has chemistry with brady, i don't know you guys want to see him gone. Everyone is going bananas for Brandon Lloyd, but let's be real, he is one of the Rams best player, and they will give him a great contract offer, i much rather have DeSean Jackson or even Vjax regardless of their down side.

Branch should definitely be back as long as he is affordable. i'm not so sure we'll splurge on lloyd. Welker is the #1 FA resign for our offense!

Last edited:
Branch has been very productive this year. As the #4 receiving option, he's done just fine.

Branch has been very productive this year. As the #4 receiving option, he's done just fine.

Led all #4 receiving options in yards this past season

I see no reason not to offer him another 2 yr deal, or at the very least an incentive laden 1 yr deal.

I actually hope he's back. I love his knowledge of this offense.

I still think there will be some sort of downfield threat signed in the off-season, possibly via free agency. Even if they're not used all that much, (and by 'not all that much' I consider about 30-35 catches), they will still help to keep the defense honest and help us with some scheming.

some of you guys saying to NOT re-sign him need to go back and read the 2011 Veterans review thread.

BB's MO on off-season acquisition for almost every position is to over acquire (normally mixing FAs, draftees and our own re-signs) and then let them fight it out for who stays and who goes. competition - survival of the fittest.

KNOWING THAT AND

after our experience with numerous FA WRs who can't seem to learn Pats system fast enough (Ocho being merely the latest example);

AND

that Branch learned grass isn't always greener and is likelyto give a home town discount ....THEN

IMO you would be a FOOL NOT to pursue re-signing him. If nothing else he is insurance that your (insert FA here) (Brandon Lloyd, etc. etc.) doesnt break a leg or turn out to be an idiot who cant add 2+2.

some of you guys saying to NOT re-sign him need to go back and read the 2011 Veterans review thread.

BB's MO on off-season acquisition for almost every position is to over acquire (normally mixing FAs, draftees and our own re-signs) and then let them fight it out for who stays and who goes. competition - survival of the fittest.

KNOWING THAT AND

after our experience with numerous FA WRs who can't seem to learn Pats system fast enough (Ocho being merely the latest example);

AND

that Branch learned grass isn't always greener and is likelyto give a home town discount ....THEN

IMO you would be a FOOL NOT to pursue re-signing him. If nothing else he is insurance that your (insert FA here) (Brandon Lloyd, etc. etc.) doesnt break a leg or turn out to be an idiot who cant add 2+2.

Righty-ho.

The Pats' goal will presumably be to end up with Welker, 2-3 other good WRs, Slater, and the versatile Edelman. The number of serious candidates for those 2-3 slots will presumably be 5ish. Branch is an excellent choice to be among the 5.

I'd say keep him for a year to help the new wide receivers we will draft-great work ethic

I think for this reason alone he should be re-signed.

he's no longer a strong #2, but will be a good serviceable number 3. welker, gronk, and hernandez are your top three targets, lloyd hopefully becomes the #2 field-stretching wr that the team needs, and branch plays a reduced (but important) role as the #3.

that would be a great line up. whether they could afford both welker and lloyd is the question.

Brandon Lloyd is not a Vertical Threat WR...he would be a Great #2 though.

So with Lloyd will we get a Moss or Ocho ? As for drafting a WR, forget it. We can't evaluate them, nor know how to develop them since Branch & Givens of decade ago.

Lets be honest it's not for a lack of trying...WR has been a serious flame out position historically in the Draft. We can think of numerous First and Second Round Busts of course Teams have hit on them also. One of these years they will get it right. The Pats have Two Second Rounders i could see them rolling the Dice and taking a couple in that Round. All these WR's need to have is Speed and Hands in this Offense...we just desperately Need a Vertical threat on the Outside. This would take our Offense to new levels. Think about it the Pats Drated Two *RB's* last year...who would have thought it *wish they would have drafted DeMarco Murray insead*. I have a feeling we might see Two WR's via the Draft this year.

This coming from a member who hated Wilfork and loved Crable ... :bricks:

Huh? Hated Wilfork? Not sure where your getting that.

And yes, I was rooting for Crable to make it, but that was because of my Michigan roots. He didn't work out, sucks, but that's the way it goes.

I'm not sure what either of those have to do with Branch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back