PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Definitely not on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know when you watch the special teams because he's out there and he's one of the best on all 6 facets. One, because he can do a variety of things well in each facet. From kick returns (2nd on team in YPR) to hitting breaking up the blocking formations.. to jammer and gunner..

There is more to special teams than just tackling..

and no one is saying to have 7 "Special Teams Only" players. Though the team has done so in the past.

I'm sorry but Slater is not a good kick returner, he has no vision & never makes the 1st guy miss. His career long on a kick return is 35 yards, that is pathetic.

He is good as a gunner, not sure if thats gonna be enough this year though. I like Slater, he's a tough SOB coming back from that ugly injury so fast, I just don't want him returning kicks.

Last edited:
Let me know when you watch the special teams because he's out there and he's one of the best on all 6 facets. One, because he can do a variety of things well in each facet. From kick returns (2nd on team in YPR) to hitting breaking up the blocking formations.. to jammer and gunner..

and no one is saying to have 7 "Special Teams Only" players. Though the team has done so in the past.

I'll plead guilty to being just an "average" fan; I don't re-watch games and breakdown OL play or special teams. Just watch it on Sunday.

Anyway, the Pats ST was subpar last year. Returns and coverage. If Slater was so great, why were the overall ST not so hot? I honestly want to know.

I just can't see this guy being *that* much better at breaking up blocking formations than someone else to validate his existence on the roster of a Super Bowl contender.

He is a terrible kick returner (if he is indeed the #2 YPR average on the team that is just an indictment of how terrible they were last year), I've never seen him down a ball inside the five (seen him fall into the end zone though) and never seen him make a big ST tackle, though that could have happened.

So what is so special about this guy?

I will actually go one further and predict that not only will Matt Slater not be on the Week 1 roster of the NEP, but that he won't be on the Week 1 roster of any NFL team.

Kick off ( return and coverage )
Punt ( return and coverage )
PAT
Field goal
Free kick ( that's seven )

Oooooohhh.... I should have figured that out... I thought he meant different positions like gunner, wedge-guy, block-attempter, block-attempter blocker, etc. As you can see, this is an area I need some help in understanding. :rolleyes:

okay, I understand that Slater is useful in the special teams game, but who would you rather cut?

part of the nature of the NFL is that teams have to make compromises, and while it would be great to have Slater, it would be better to have 53 other players.

Kelly Washington was an outstanding STer here but was a one trick pony thats why he was no longer worth a roster spot.

Seldom that one trick ponies on this team last very long,Izzo was a rare exception but he was such a leader on the unit they kept him for quite awhile.

Slater is more than replaceable.

Last edited:
McCourty likely does everything Slater does on special teams better than Slater does, and he'll actually contribute on passing downs and punt returns too. In the end Slater and Alexander lose their jobs to Arrington, who was a beast last year.

As far as I know they have 4 gunners on the roster Slater, Arrington, Lockett and McCourty (obviously makes the team). So at least one of the other 3 makes it. Arrington appeared to do a better job (to an average fan watching on TV) than the other two, but I get the feeling that BB really likes Slater, we drafted him as STer. I bet Slater is on the 53.

One THING is for sure is that there will be heavy competition in a lot of areas....WHO TO KEEP...younger players or vets???
I tend to agree that Meyers and Agnone are MOST LIKELY NOT to make the team with a vet and two rookie draft picks. But that one really sticks out a LOT different than other positions. At RB, the question might be if they will keep a young one Green-Ellis or Paschal for depth or will cut one of the vets. I think that is possible, but not probable. The backups of the OL could have some interesting battles with Connolly, Wendell, Ohrenberger, Bussey and Larsen battling inside and LeVoir and Welch on the outside. On the D Line, I think Lewis is in, but GWarren will be in a fight with Pryor, Richard and Deaderick. Brace will need to step it up or he might be history. I actually think the linebacking corps could have the fiercest of all competition as there are a lot of young players vying for only a few positions. And here ST play could help. Ninkovich seemed to step in and be quite OK at times, but is he really an adequate backup? Is Woods a player that could be in the rotation or more like Alexander, a ST player only? Will Crable be less hurt and show what he has or is the injury bug going to make a career in football doubtful? I am really hoping McKenzie will contribute, but is there room?? I do think Wheatley and Springs might be vulnerable. A rookie like Johnson could energize the backfield as a 4th CB. I also agree Special teams will be another place that will see competition and here, versatility may help get a player on the 53 or not.
It should be quite interesting.

A better thread would be who will get cut the most this year ... like a Billy Yates kind of player.

DaBruinz,

please stop with your blowhard pretend to know it all self. Please stop pretending you break down special teams. What are you going to say when your hero slater gets cut.
For some reason anytime someone has a problem with a player you have the same long boilerplate diatribe that you somehow know more then everybody else. Slater is a slow return man who will get it to the 20 and nothing else. Can you name 1 positive memorable play. Don't get upset if people are not in love with every pats player. You get so hurt and defensive. I remember once reading some long post where someone claimed the pats did not draft bad in 2007-2008 and used played like Willie died and Justin Rogers as good picks because apparently to you everyone that the Pats touch is gold. Stop trying to bully other posters everytime. Real fans know you think you know more then you do.

One THING is for sure is that there will be heavy competition in a lot of areas....WHO TO KEEP...younger players or vets???
I tend to agree that Meyers and Agnone are MOST LIKELY NOT to make the team with a vet and two rookie draft picks. But that one really sticks out a LOT different than other positions. At RB, the question might be if they will keep a young one Green-Ellis or Paschal for depth or will cut one of the vets. I think that is possible, but not probable. The backups of the OL could have some interesting battles with Connolly, Wendell, Ohrenberger, Bussey and Larsen battling inside and LeVoir and Welch on the outside. On the D Line, I think Lewis is in, but GWarren will be in a fight with Pryor, Richard and Deaderick. Brace will need to step it up or he might be history. I actually think the linebacking corps could have the fiercest of all competition as there are a lot of young players vying for only a few positions. And here ST play could help. Ninkovich seemed to step in and be quite OK at times, but is he really an adequate backup? Is Woods a player that could be in the rotation or more like Alexander, a ST player only? Will Crable be less hurt and show what he has or is the injury bug going to make a career in football doubtful? I am really hoping McKenzie will contribute, but is there room?? I do think Wheatley and Springs might be vulnerable. A rookie like Johnson could energize the backfield as a 4th CB. I also agree Special teams will be another place that will see competition and here, versatility may help get a player on the 53 or not.
It should be quite interesting.

Good analysis!

Kelly Washington was an outstanding STer here but was a one trick pony thats why he was no longer worth a roster spot.

Seldom that one trick ponies on this team last very long,Izzo was a rare exception but he was such a leader on the unit they kept him for quite awhile.

Slater is more than replaceable.

Washington getting cut had everything to do with his base salary jumping to $1.9 million in 2009, and nothing to do with being a 'one trick pony'. He was plenty worth a roster spot; he just wasn't worth $2 million against the cap.

Shame, too: not that Belichick could have predicted it, but had he kept him around anyways, maybe we wouldn't have had to witness the Sam Aiken experiment at WR.

Last edited:
I have a list of 21 that I consider extremely unlikely to make the Game One 53 man roster. That leaves 67 competing for a roster spot, plus those who are still to be signed.

NOT ON THE FIFTY THREE
Rowe
Robinson
Paschall
Stanback
Anderson'
Jenkins
Farnham
Agnone
Myers
Wendell
Wise
Weston
Gordon
Grady
Love
Williams (LB)
Davis
Fletcher
Brown
Johnson
Ventrone

Last edited:
I have a list of 20 that I consider extremely unlikely to make the Game One 53 man roster. That leaves 68 competing for a roster spot, plus those who are still to be signed.

NOT ON THE FIFTY THREE
Rowe
Robinson
Paschall
Stanback
Anderson'
Jenkins
Farnham
Agnone
Myers
Wendell
Wise
Weston
Gordon
Grady
Love
Williams (LB)
Fletcher
Brown
Johnson
Ventrone

I would probably take Wendell off this list but other than that you are probably right with one maybe two of these guys somehow suprising and sticking.

I have another list where "with one maybe two of these guys somehow surprising and sticking"

LONGSHOTS (7)
Patten
Welch
Richard
Bussey
Murrell
Crable
King
===============
So, at this early time, I have

60 contenders for roster spots
7 longshots for roster spots
21 definitely not on the roster
================

As far as Wendell, I think that we have our five interior linemen back from last year coming back, plus Bussey and Larsen. I just don't Wendell cracking the 53. He's certainly had his opportunities.

I would probably take Wendell off this list but other than that you are probably right with one maybe two of these guys somehow suprising and sticking.

Wheatley is a goner.

I have a list of 21 that I consider extremely unlikely to make the Game One 53 man roster. That leaves 67 competing for a roster spot, plus those who are still to be signed.

NOT ON THE FIFTY THREE
Rowe
Robinson
Paschall
Stanback
Anderson'
Jenkins
Farnham
Agnone
Myers
Wendell
Wise
Weston
Gordon
Grady
Love
Williams (LB)
Davis
Fletcher
Brown
Johnson
Ventrone
I see that DAvis was added in...wondering before why he wasn't included. When I saw the list, I thought a nice exercise might be to try to rank them in order...and to see if ALL were definite "NOT ON the ROSTER" players.....After a bit of time thinking..and it was not easy...I put together a list....in order and tried to reason why one and not another...which I THINK can be quite interesting.
21) Obviously a long long shot..even for the PSquad...wrestler to OL Wise. Even though he played football his freshman year..NOT an easy transition.
20-19) Next are the TEs, Meyers and Agnone..Meyers ranked lower because of an injury last year. With a vet tight end and two strong rooks, unkess there is an injury, it will be extremely hard for either of these players to make teh 53.
18) Jeff Rowe is next as PSquad QB to a 3rd on the 53 is extremely difficult..especially with a draftee in the mix.
(THESE 4 I THINK WERE QUITE EASY; THE NEXT TWELVE I BELIEVE ARE BUNCHED QUITE TOGETHER MAKING IT NOT AT ALL EASY....)
17) I have D Lineman Gordon who has bounced around the league a bit. WIth injuries and heavy competition ahead of him, I think it will be a difficult task for him.
16) A slightly better shot might be Grady who was a PSquader last year. He faces uphill competition to make it.
15) Next is Davis who is more of a conversion project who is not a STer.
14) WR Jenkins wa sinjured last year, but is at the bottom of the toetm pole with many ahead of him.
13) LB WIlliams is in the mix here, but is a solid STer which could help.
12) Rookie NT Love is next and his only shot really is to be outsanding at his position. There are just so many other options, so it will be hard.
11) OL Wendell is the first on the team on this list. There is just too many inside players that are ahead of him.
10) QB Zac Robinson has a shot, but he must show he has something special to be a 3rd QB or it could be a PSquad for him if he shows anything.
9) Safety Brown just is in a numbers game and needs work. Is not outsanding on ST which would have pushed him up some notches.
8) WR Anderson would have been a lot higher if he had had a better camp, as this team would love to have a tall receiver, but his poor camp has pushed him lower.
7) Buddy Farnham might be smart and tough, but to make the 53 is a large leap.
6) Here I would put Isiah Stanback...whose versatility MIGHT be the reason he sticks. IF they see him as an emergency QB as well as playing wideout, it might be his only shot. BUT only if he really excels in the offense.
5) I'd put Weston here, even though it's a numbers game. 6'5" 325?? How can you just dismiss a player like that? Did anyone think Pryor would make the 53 at this time last year??
ONLY the reason why.
(IT IS AT THIS POINT THAT I REALLY BELIEVE THE WILL NOT BE ON THE 53 LIST ENDS; I DO THINK THESE LAST 4 HAS A SHOT AT THE 53...FOR 3, THEY HAVE HEART AND MIGHT BE ABLE TO BE A STANDOUT ON ST..THEIR ONLY REAL OPPORTUNITY. I COULD SEE ONE OF THESE 3 MAKING IT..WHICH IS WHY I WOULD GIVE THEM MORE "LONG SHOTS" THAN "WILL NOT DEFINITELY".
4) Ross Ventrone seems to know where to be to make plays. If he plays ST solid..he could make it.
3) Although more a project LB/DE, Fletcher seems to be able to make plays on ST, blocking kicks and making tackles. Any strides towards a back up LB or situational rusher will only strengthen his chances.
2) Although from a small school..I just have a feeling CB Johnson could stick. Attitude goes a long way and having the "TBROWN DO WHAT IT TAKES" heart may help.He might also surprise at CB.
1) Paschall could be a tough runner for the team. And that is why I would not have him on the list. If they see anything in him, he could replace Green-Ellis and be inactive at times, filling in. I do not think they would try to sneak him on the PSquad IF he was strong, but rather the 53....so with a need of a RB..MORE a long shot than NOT AT ALL.
I would add these 4 in with the 7......making the LONG SHOTS....
11) Welch--Just think with Vollmer and LeVoir, it will be hard to grab a spot.
10) King---Hard to change to a new sport and excel or beat out thebest college punter in the class of 10.
9) Richard---Just a numbers game..smart and tough, but maybe another PSquad year
8) Bussey--coming back from injuries is tough and with competition it might be a PSquad year to get back into things.
7) Crable...Injuries..otherwise he would not be on this list...either ON the team or gone..
6) Patten---Bouncing around some, but he runs great routes, does the right thing and may have speed..BUT..numbers are against him.
5)Ventrone
4) Fletcher
3) Murrell--A ST player. but in the mix here with other STers
2)Johnson
1) Paschall
THIS WAS NOT EASY....HAD TO GO INTO MORE OF A "WHO WOULD I BE LEAST SURPRISED TO MAKE THE TEAM" SORT OF MODE. VERY INTERESTING...AND MORE DISCUSSIONS...ALL IMO...of course..but these last 15 or so players...harder to rank...and the new and binky STers..may place them a bit higher..BUT??? Would anyone be surprised if 1 of those 3 made it on ST??? And Paschall..I think is more a longshot but but closer to competition if he shows anything.

Last edited:
BJGE didn't get mentioned until the 5th page? You guys are really slipping! :D

Arrington didn't play in a game until early November, yet he tied for ST tackles for the season. I don't think he's going anywhere other than where the team is playing.

I agree with regard to Arrington. He is one of my two special teams only players along with Aiken.

BJGE didn't get mentioned until the 5th page? You guys are really slipping! :D

Arrington didn't play in a game until early November, yet he tied for ST tackles for the season. I don't think he's going anywhere other than where the team is playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes