PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Definitely not on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put Patten on the p-squad and PUP Lewis after TC.

I had to. You know those ideas are coming... :D

Me, I won't be on the roster :D

i don't think Gerard Warren, make's the team ther are to many DT's trying to make the team

Slater... Even though people protec him fo some reason. Just because someone plays all facets of ST does not mean their great at it. Sorry if your going to be a ST only player then you better be great at it. This team does not need 7 ST only players.

I don't think Stanback will make the roster.

Arrington is making the team.

He was lights out on STs last year.

I know this is only one phase of ST, but it's pretty telling.

Pats 2009 ST tackle leaders:
CB Kyle Arrington -- 18
LB Pierre Woods -- 18
LB Eric Alexander -- 13
S Pat Chung -- 13
S Brandon McGowan -- 12
WR Sam Aiken -- 11
LB Rob Ninkovich -- 11
WR Matthew Slater -- 7
source: Arrington, Woods finish in special teams tie - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Of the ST-only players on this list, I think only Arrington's job is safe. He tied for most tackles despite starting halfway through the year.

What was Slater doing -- or not doing -- that he was that low?

Non-rookies:

Patten (unless he found the fountain of youth)
Stanbeck
Aiken
Slater
Rowe
G.Warren or Lewis (no way we keep both, but I could be wrong)
Agnone
Myers (one or both TEs likely for the PS)
Wheatley (fail of a 2nd round pick unless he turns it around)
Springs (old age and poor attitude)
King ('cause you don't mess with the Zoltan!:D)
Alexander
Gordon
and then a couple of those castoff LBs (Davis and Murrell I think)

Forgot to mention Lockett. I think Arrington gets the nod as the special teams DB over him.

I love these STs conversation and you definitely are in line with some of my thinking. I have been a defender of Slater on here because despite not being the returner we hoped when we drafted him he has been awsome at all other phases of STs (problem is average people only think of returns when they think of STs). All that said Slaters biggest problem for a roster spot this year will be how nasty Arrington was last year and the addition of Mccourty. IMO Marquis Murrell kind of makes Alexander expendable not aiken but I see your point about the protector (I suppose Murrell could make both expendable). Aiken's biggest problem IMO is that we added some depth to the WR position and he will now have to win his spot on this team soley on STs not something he isn't used to but with the above it wont be as easy for him to make the team as last year though somehow I think he makes it.

The STs only guys certainly have a lot of competition this year and no doubt one or two of them will be squezzed out by the added positional depth and the fact that there are more STs only players competing with eachother than were on the 53 last year (as normally expected).

What people don't realize is that Slater was the best of the Patriots return men last year who had double digit returns... Now, granted, a lot had to do with the mediocre blocking on kick-offs, but even when Slater wasn't returning kicks, he was on that unit and one of the better guys out there.

Slater... Even though people protec him fo some reason. Just because someone plays all facets of ST does not mean their great at it. Sorry if your going to be a ST only player then you better be great at it. This team does not need 7 ST only players.

Let me know when you watch the special teams because he's out there and he's one of the best on all 6 facets. One, because he can do a variety of things well in each facet. From kick returns (2nd on team in YPR) to hitting breaking up the blocking formations.. to jammer and gunner..

There is more to special teams than just tackling..

and no one is saying to have 7 "Special Teams Only" players. Though the team has done so in the past.

What people don't realize is that Slater was the best of the Patriots return men last year who had double digit returns... Now, granted, a lot had to do with the mediocre blocking on kick-offs, but even when Slater wasn't returning kicks, he was on that unit and one of the better guys out there.

Tate could push him out of the return game though, and unless Slater pushes out Maroney or Edelman or Faulk he could be shut out of the return game making him expendable.

Tate could push him out of the return game though, and unless Slater pushes out Maroney or Edelman or Faulk he could be shut out of the return game making him expendable.
Maroney is the starting RB, he wont be returning Kicks.

Edelman and Faulk are Punt Returners.

Tate will be back there with Slater receiving the first kick of the year. Slater will be the guy creaming the gunner to allow Tate to take it 103yds to the house.

MATTHEW SLATER. ERIC ALEXANDER...probably.

Maroney is the starting RB, he wont be returning Kicks.

Edelman and Faulk are Punt Returners.

Tate will be back there with Slater receiving the first kick of the year. Slater will be the guy creaming the gunner to allow Tate to take it 103yds to the house.

Did you see who was returning kicks last year? Edelman, Slater, and Maroney. Faulk, Butler, and Tate got some others but those three were the top returners last year.

He is easily the most expendable player on that list, and with Tate being just as if not more able to return kicks and play wide receiver his job may not exist this year returning kicks.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention Lockett. I think Arrington gets the nod as the special teams DB over him.

Lockett could possibly be a 5th safety, plus he adds on ST. We'll need 4 for sure, likely Meriweather, Sanders, McGowan, and Chung. Depends on how BB feels on having 4 vs. 5 depth wise.

I'll agree that Arrington would likely get the nod over Lockett if it came down to that, but Lockett right now could be our 5th safety.

---

I agree with DaBruinz and those in favor of keeping Slater solely for ST. I'd also keep Aiken, who was captain of ST.

One player who's out for sure IMO, is Eric Alexander.

While people keep wanting to axe Slater, those people usually forget that he plays on all 6 facets of special teams and is one of the team's best special teams players.

So what are the 6 facets of special teams?

So what are the 6 facets of special teams?

Kick off ( return and coverage )
Punt ( return and coverage )
PAT
Field goal
Free kick ( that's seven )

FWIW, players who were on every ST unit last year (excluding field goals):

Alexander
Chung
Ninkovich
Woods
Slater
Aiken