PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Line - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my DE 5 technique rankings going into the draft (I am not putting Suh or Mccoy on this list because we cant/wont get them. I am also not including Dan Williams I think he is all NT. Carlos Dunlap I refuse to put on my board as well. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. He reminds me of Michael Johnson from GT last yr.)

1. Odrick
2. Carrington
3. Houston
4. A. Jones
5. Neal
6. Alualu
7. Worthington
8. Deadrick

Question: Is Torell Troup from UCF a DE or NT?

Late Round Sleeper: Corey Peters 6-3 295 first team all SEC.

Id like to hear Box of Rocks thoughts on this. I think we definitely take a DE in this draft. Also is Wooten too small for 3-4 DE? I assumed he was at 277 pounds but he is long at 6-6.
reamer was complaining that the volume of the voices in my head was turned down too low too... :confused2:

1. Odrick √ My #1 after Suh.
2. Carrington √ He looked like he'd be a fit.
3. Houston :nooo: He's not as stout at the point of attack, he's a stud at getting into the backfield.
4. A. Jones √ From all I've read.
5. Neal √ Not a pass rusher, and double-teams move him too easily, but he's workable.
6. Alualu √ Better 3-tech, but he's strong and versatile which isn't a bad thing for a BB defense.
7. Worthington √ Workable late option.
8. Deadrick √ He kept showing up strong against Texas, I was sold.

Question: Is Torell Troup from UCF a DE or NT? -- NT

Late Round Sleeper: Corey Peters 6-3 295 first team all SEC. √

Id like to hear Box of Rocks thoughts on this. :attention:

Also is Wooten too small for 3-4 DE? √ He weighed in at 270 for the Combine, which is good because many players lose weight to get faster/quicker for the track events. He was listed as 280 for the season, I would have guessed 290 for his bowl game, but he can clearly get up into the 290+ range before the season. He reportedly needs work at the point of attack, but if he's platooning with a veteran like Wright there's time to transition and get better.

I really want Alex Carrington. I think he could be that typical under the radar talent who the Pats pick up. He was recruited by LSU and Ole Miss but elected to go to Arkansas St. to be close to his son. I love his potential as a DE in the 3-4.

reamer was complaining that the volume of the voices in my head was turned down too low too... :confused2:

1. Odrick √ My #1 after Suh.
2. Carrington √ He looked like he'd be a fit.
3. Houston :nooo: He's not as stout at the point of attack, he's a stud at getting into the backfield.
4. A. Jones √ From all I've read.
5. Neal √ Not a pass rusher, and double-teams move him too easily, but he's workable.
6. Alualu √ Better 3-tech, but he's strong and versatile which isn't a bad thing for a BB defense.
7. Worthington √ Workable late option.
8. Deadrick √ He kept showing up strong against Texas, I was sold.

Question: Is Torell Troup from UCF a DE or NT? -- NT

Late Round Sleeper: Corey Peters 6-3 295 first team all SEC. √

Id like to hear Box of Rocks thoughts on this. :attention:

Also is Wooten too small for 3-4 DE? √ He weighed in at 270 for the Combine, which is good because many players lose weight to get faster/quicker for the track events. He was listed as 280 for the season, I would have guessed 290 for his bowl game, but he can clearly get up into the 290+ range before the season. He reportedly needs work at the point of attack, but if he's platooning with a veteran like Wright there's time to transition and get better.

Thanks for the response Box O Rocks. I swear listening to you is better then most sources on the internet about the draft. Odrck, Carrington and Arthur Jones look like they are clearly a cut above everyone else on that list. I think we need to walk away from this draft with one of these guys.

Do you think Wooten could convert to 3-4 OLB? He has experience dropping into coverage and hes definitely big enough at 270 to play elephant. My only worries would be athleticism, quickness, and agility on the outside. He can set the edge and hes good at rushing the passer but is he quick or fast enough to play outside?

By the way thanks for recommending Misi. I am absolutely sold on this guy after watching a few highlights and reading scouting reports. For the value in 2nd rd we could really walk away with the best fit for this defense. He is definitely a little raw but he has the talent, production, work ethic, and motor to become a great player.

I still love Brandon Graham too even though I know your not a big fan of him. Did you see his arm length was 32.5 inches? I believe many people said he had 30.5 inch arms. He also ran a solid 4.69. It looks like he might go before 22 anyways but I still like him. Only worry with me is coverage after not seeing him in the drills at the combine. I still say he becomes a good NFL starter in any system.

Do you think Wooten could convert to 3-4 OLB?
No, not from the look I got when they played Auburn in their bowl game.

I still love Brandon Graham too even though I know your not a big fan of him. Did you see his arm length was 32.5 inches? I believe many people said he had 30.5 inch arms. He also ran a solid 4.69. It looks like he might go before 22 anyways but I still like him. Only worry with me is coverage after not seeing him in the drills at the combine. I still say he becomes a good NFL starter in any system.
My issues with Graham is how high do you take a DE to OLB conversion project, can he play in reverse (we didn't get to see him in position drills at the Combine or Senior Bowl), and what is with Michigan DE to OLB prospects that they keep grabbing their hamstrings (Crable)?

Last edited:
I really want Alex Carrington. I think he could be that typical under the radar talent who the Pats pick up. He was recruited by LSU and Ole Miss but elected to go to Arkansas St. to be close to his son. I love his potential as a DE in the 3-4.

Agreed, with 10-15 more lbs on him he'd be very similar in build to Richard Seymour but with a whole lot more gas in the tank. I prefer him to Odrick.

Drew Boylhart at the huddle report thinks that Linval Joseph has talent similar to Suh. His combine workout confirms that he athletic for his size. The dline at East Carolina is apparently well coached. I think they have three guys in this draft. If you can get 90% of Suh in the 4th round, then why spend draft choices 22 through 53 on a DT?

Even Nick Caserio said that defensive tackle is deep this year. East Carolina also has CJ Wilson that can replace Jarvis Green and Jay Ross is strong and a hard working run stuffer.

My issues with Graham is how high do you take a DE to OLB conversion project, can he play in reverse (we didn't get to see him in position drills at the Combine or Senior Bowl), and what is with Michigan DE to OLB prospects that they keep grabbing their hamstrings (Crable)?

Draft muncher updated 3/4/10 predicts the Pats moved from Odrick to Graham for their first pick. Also has Odrick sliding out of the first round. Why is Odrick's stock sliding?

Scout.com: 2010 Mock Draft Muncher

:confused:

Drew Boylhart at the huddle report thinks that Linval Joseph has talent similar to Suh. His combine workout confirms that he athletic for his size. The dline at East Carolina is apparently well coached. I think they have three guys in this draft. If you can get 90% of Suh in the 4th round, then why spend draft choices 22 through 53 on a DT?

Even Nick Caserio said that defensive tackle is deep this year. East Carolina also has CJ Wilson that can replace Jarvis Green and Jay Ross is strong and a hard working run stuffer.
Linval is a good looking young player who still needs to get better with his technique and get stronger.

I watched East Carolina against Arkansas in their bowl game twice, the first time live when I noticed Jay Ross who really stood out to me on TV. The second time was off the DVR when I was specifically looking for Joseph and Wilson.

Joseph only got penetration on stunts, he never beat his man one-on-one.

Ross was consistently getting into the backfield, strong at the point of attack, and hustled his butt upfield after the plays consistently.

Wilson would need to bulk up and get stronger to play the 5-tech, I don't know if he can play in space as a LB, he's not explosive off the edge, but he's persistent.

Odrick is well ahead of Joseph at this point, though I'd be happy to take the kid if the opportunity arose and develop him.

Is it? ;)

If it means that the Pats can trade back a few slots, picking up some extra draft picks, and still land Odrick. Then that's actually a good thing imo. :)

Last edited:
I dunno either, but then I haven't paid much attention to Dunlap. :confused2:

That's ludicrous what he said. I'm guessing the guy wanted to see flashy big plays. Well, you're not gonna see that with a guy like Dunlap. As I've posted on other threads I agree with the Willie comparison. The guy is seriously built to be an outside backer in our system. Too bad he gave awful interviews.

That's ludicrous what he said. I'm guessing the guy wanted to see flashy big plays. Well, you're not gonna see that with a guy like Dunlap. As I've posted on other threads I agree with the Willie comparison. The guy is seriously built to be an outside backer in our system. Too bad he gave awful interviews.

What about his questionable work ethic? What about the fact that Urban Meyer actually had to suspend him from the team? I think Dunlap has character questionmarks that would cause any team to be leery. Well maybe not the Bengals. They drafted Andre Smith #6 overall even though he had a disastrous combine and red flags on top of that.

Dunlap DUI arrest
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/01/carlos-dunlap-dui-arreste_n_375074.html

Buyer Beware - Dunlap could be a Bust
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/331498-buyer-beware-carlos-dunlap-has-bust-written-all-over-him

Last edited:
Is Carrington worth a 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case