PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Line - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
We seem to see eye to eye on quite a few draft topics :p

I know you and I are in the minority of people who still want Greg Hardy in the draft.

What other guys do you like at OLB and in the draft in general?
IMO, they're only 4 DE/OLBs with highly polished pass rushing skills in this whole draft. Thats Hughes, Graham, Morgan, and Hardy. From what I've seen Griffen, Dunlap, and Pierre-Paul are nothing more than workout warriors who'll be huge busts at the next level. I don't think Sergio Kindle is as hopeless as those guys but right now he doesn't have much actual pass rushing moves. He's mostly a finesse player right now. More of an athlete than a football player. I'll admit I haven't seen much of Ricky Sapp so he could be a wild card since the Pats apparently are very interested in him.

Back to the original 4 guys:
Hughes - excellent pass rusher who has tons of speed off the edge. Has a non-stop motor. But is very poor against the run/weak at the point of attack. His lack of size and strength would probably make him struggle overall in the Pats 2-gap 3-4. So unless BB is planning to dumb the 2-gap 3-4, I'd be surprised if he goes in this direction.

Graham - Very similar to Hughes in that he's a very good pass rusher but he's also excellent against the run and strong at the POA. Unfortunately he's completely opposite of what BB likes in terms of measurables so I have no idea if he's interested. Remember he passed on Woodley too.

Morgan and Hardy - Both have very polished pass rush skills and have BBs prototype OLB measurables. Both are strong against the run and at the POA as well. These guys are exactly what the Pats need at the "elephant" position. However, Morgan is way out of the Pats drafting range and would have to pay a steep price to trade up for him. Hardy has a bunch durability and character concerns.

IMO, they're only 4 DE/OLBs with highly polished pass rushing skills in this whole draft. Thats Hughes, Graham, Morgan, and Hardy. From what I've seen Griffen, Dunlap, and Pierre-Paul are nothing more than workout warriors who'll be huge busts at the next level. I don't think Sergio Kindle is as hopeless as those guys but right now he doesn't have much actual pass rushing moves. He's mostly a finesse player right now. More of an athlete than a football player. I'll admit I haven't seen much of Ricky Sapp so he could be a wild card since the Pats apparently are very interested in him.

Back to the original 4 guys:
Hughes - excellent pass rusher who has tons of speed off the edge. Has a non-stop motor. But is very poor against the run/weak at the point of attack. His lack of size and strength would probably make him struggle overall in the Pats 2-gap 3-4. So unless BB is planning to dumb the 2-gap 3-4, I'd be surprised if he goes in this direction.

Graham - Very similar to Hughes in that he's a very good pass rusher but he's also excellent against the run and strong at the POA. Unfortunately he's completely opposite of what BB likes in terms of measurables so I have no idea if he's interested. Remember he passed on Woodley too.

Morgan and Hardy - Both have very polished pass rush skills and have BBs prototype OLB measurables. Both are strong against the run and at the POA as well. These guys are exactly what the Pats need at the "elephant" position. However, Morgan is way out of the Pats drafting range and would have to pay a steep price to trade up for him. Hardy has a bunch durability and character concerns.

Good to hear your thoughts. I agree with a lot of what you said. I really like Morgan and Hardy as well. Not a fan of JPP. Don't think Hughes or Graham fit the bill that well due to what you said, although I haven't seen enough of Hughes to really judge. Not as big of a fan of Kindle as I was last year. I do like Sapp though. I like Griffen more than Dunlap but I'm not 100% sold on either guy yet.

I actually think it's good that Hardy has seen his stock drop tremendously b/c BB is all about value and getting a guy with Hardy's upside in the late 2nd or 3rd (if we pick one up) would qualify as great value ala Brandon Tate. My 3 favorite guys at the moment are Hardy, Sapp, and Morgan.

What other needs do you hope to see us address in the first 4 picks?

I do like Sapp though.
Yeah, Sapp does meet the length and speed "requirements", and he definitely helped himself by showing up to the combine 10 pounds heavier. I know he has a lightning first step too. He could be the answer at WOLB. Just haven't seen enough tape on him to judge his overall game.
I actually think it's good that Hardy has seen his stock drop tremendously b/c BB is all about value and getting a guy with Hardy's upside in the late 2nd or 3rd (if we pick one up) would qualify as great value ala Brandon Tate.
Right, because when you run a defensive scheme that needs OLBs with a rare combination of traits, you need to jump on them when they fall in your lap. 6'5 270lb 4.6 speed beasts with no injury or character issues don't exactly grow on trees. I think they have to take the chance on Hardy at this point.
What other needs do you hope to see us address in the first 4 picks?
You pretty much summed up my exact thoughts in that other thread.
I'm actually very content with what we have at ILB in Mayo, McKenzie, Guyton. I also hold Bruschi's opinion in pretty high regard, and he's said that he doesn't think ILB is that big of a need.

Wouldn't mind seeing 2 OLB and 1 DE added. I actually think we have more needs on the offense. I think we have more young talent on the defense than we think.

I think on D OLB and DE are the two top needs. After that, I think we are pretty much set at ILB, CB, NT and S. On offense I think we've got needs at WR, TE, OL, and RB. I love our guards and Vollmer on the OL, but I'm not a big fan of Light or Kaczur, and Koppen could be upgraded. Need to inject some young legs at RB. Need a guy to line up across from Moss and be a reliable WR threat. I think Brandon Tate can be this guy, but I want another guy as well because I'm a pessimist regarding Welker for 2010.
Like you said, would like to focus on Front 7 and an OL upgrade with the first 4 picks. We know we need 1 or 2 OLBs. Best options at RDE are Odrick, Wooten, Carrington, and Oghobaase. I really like Rodger Saffold because he can immediately start at RT opposite to Vollmer and play RG if (when :p) Neal goes down. Jared Veldheer is a nice option at RT as well. Jon Assamoah would be a good RG prospect to develop behind Neal. I don't know much about the C prospects, but I heard Maurkice Pouncey is really good. I think the depth for WR and TE is VERY good in rounds 3-6 and would could pick some high upside guys there like Emmanuel Sanders, Andre Roberts, Marucs Easily, Carlton Mitchell, Jimmy Graham, Dennis Pitta, Scott Sicko. At RB I like Montario Hardesty because his tough running style and pass catching/pass blocking abilities would fit the Pats offense really well.

I actually think it's good that Hardy has seen his stock drop tremendously b/c BB is all about value and getting a guy with Hardy's upside in the late 2nd or 3rd (if we pick one up) would qualify as great value ala Brandon Tate. My 3 favorite guys at the moment are Hardy, Sapp, and Morgan.

The thing is, there are injuries and then there are injuries. Hardy's had multiple foot surgeries, and just doesn't seem the same explosive athlete since. (He had the slowest 10-yard split of all DEs at the Combine.)

And because of those injuries, Hardy could still be avail. with our 4th-rounder. But I really hope that our pass-rushing needs will be addressed by then. Drafting him in the late 2nd/early 3rd area is taking too much of a risk to provide the value I'm looking for. And using Brandon Tate as an example isn't really helping the cause.

Right, because when you run a defensive scheme that needs OLBs with a rare combination of traits, you need to jump on them when they fall in your lap. 6'5 270lb 4.6 speed beasts with no injury or character issues don't exactly grow on trees. I think they have to take the chance on Hardy at this point.

Is this the same Hardy that showed up at the Combine at 280 lbs and ran a 4.8 forty, with pins in his wrist and foot? He is dropping like a stone. This guy is supposed to be the answer to our 'pass rush'???

Yet you completely discount Misi who is rising as an OLB, because he plays all over the field at Utah and has experience at basically everything an 'OLB' does.

Is this the same Hardy that showed up at the Combine at 280 lbs and ran a 4.8 forty, with pins in his wrist and foot?
I wasn't talking about Hardy specifically, just the Pats prototype OLB. And Hardy lost weight and improved his forty at his pro day. Hardy is a big risk but he proved to me in the Shrine Bowl that he can still get to the QB and make plays.
Yet you completely discount Misi who is rising as an OLB, because he plays all over the field at Utah and has experience at basically everything an 'OLB' does.
I don't know what to say. Everything I've seen and read about Misi seems decent but unspectacular. But I could be wrong and maybe he really is the next DeMarcus Ware *shrugs*

Yeah, Sapp does meet the length and speed "requirements", and he definitely helped himself by showing up to the combine 10 pounds heavier. I know he has a lightning first step too. He could be the answer at WOLB. Just haven't seen enough tape on him to judge his overall game.

You pretty much summed up my exact thoughts in that other thread.

Like you said, would like to focus on Front 7 and an OL upgrade with the first 4 picks. We know we need 1 or 2 OLBs. Best options at RDE are Odrick, Wooten, Carrington, and Oghobaase. I really like Rodger Saffold because he can immediately start at RT opposite to Vollmer and play RG if (when :p) Neal goes down. Jared Veldheer is a nice option at RT as well. Jon Assamoah would be a good RG prospect to develop behind Neal. I don't know much about the C prospects, but I heard Maurkice Pouncey is really good. I think the depth for WR and TE is VERY good in rounds 3-6 and would could pick some high upside guys there like Emmanuel Sanders, Andre Roberts, Marucs Easily, Carlton Mitchell, Jimmy Graham, Dennis Pitta, Scott Sicko. At RB I like Montario Hardesty because his tough running style and pass catching/pass blocking abilities would fit the Pats offense really well.

I'm thinking the same thing for Sapp. Could be the answer with his speed and size combo on the weakside.

Hardesty has been my favorite RB since early in the 09 college season. I love the way the guy plays and would love to see him in a Pats uniform. I love Carrington at DE in our 3-4 as well. At OT, I really like Bulaga and Charles Brown, and at C, I'm impressed with Pouncey.

I love Vollmer's versatility to play both LT and RT. Before Bulaga's stock was on the rise, I was on board for drafting him in the 1st to start at RT, sliding Vollmer to LT, exploring the idea of trading Light (who I'm not a big fan of), and kicking Kaczur into a backup G/T role. I know a lot of people think DL or OLB needs to be addressed in round 1, but I felt there was better value in going with a premiere OT at 22, rather than a Graham or Odrick, and picking up guys like Carrington, Sapp, Hardy, etc. in the 2nd. There are so many good guys on the defensive side of the ball in this draft that will slide into in the 2nd round that I wouldn't be shocked if the first round pick was a guy on the offensive side of the ball.

Either way, it should be very exciting to see how this all works out and I can't wait for the draft.

The thing is, there are injuries and then there are injuries. Hardy's had multiple foot surgeries, and just doesn't seem the same explosive athlete since. (He had the slowest 10-yard split of all DEs at the Combine.)

There's no doubt that there is a risk with Hardy. Will he ever re-gain his form? Can he stay on the field? etc. But I've watched him dominate over the last couple of years when he's been healthy. I do think it takes some time to get over all these injuries and get back to your normal self.

As Marqui said, he showed improvement and weight loss at his Pro Day which is very encouraging. I believe he ran a 4.75 at his pro day and improved his cone drill time and vertical leap. This shows he could be back close to previous form, and he is still working hard to rehab and get back to his dominant level.

Is this the same Hardy that showed up at the Combine at 280 lbs and ran a 4.8 forty, with pins in his wrist and foot? He is dropping like a stone. This guy is supposed to be the answer to our 'pass rush'???

As stated above, Hardy has gotten into better shape, improved his 40 time (which is overrated anyway; what do you think Vrabel's 40 time was?), and has said he wants to play 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

Before the 09 season, this guy was considered a lock as a top 10 pick and was the consensus #1 pass rusher in the draft. He's lost a tremendous amount of money and his stock has drastically fallen due to injuries and such, but that doesn't mean in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round he wouldn't provide tremendous value. I firmly believe Hardy could be the steal of the draft provided the amount of talent and upside the guy has.

No one is "discounting" Misi. Has anyone ever seen him play more than 5 games? I've seen him play in about 2, and I walked away unimpressed. That's definitely not enough to evaluate a player, but that's all I have to go on. It seems like everyone is falling in love with him from a few scouting reports and few guys like Box who love him and compare him to Vrabel, just like Barwin last year.

The other end of the spectrum is that some other scouting reports don't have him as all he's chalked up to be on this board. I've done some research on him, as I do with a lot of other prospects, and I've come across "draftniks" saying he too is a project, he too has trouble stacking and shedding, he too has struggled at times against the run. The point that is being made is that if he too is ultimately just another "project" who is not a seasoned and proven OLB, then why not go after a "project" who is more explosive and has a higher ceiling? From everything we've heard about Misi, he's a blue collar guy who is solid but unspectacular and has a limited ceiling.

There are other guys in this draft who are more explosive and have greater upsides. Why go after a guy that has a lower ceiling and similar concerns rather than a guy with the same concerns and a higher ceiling?

There are other guys in this draft who are more explosive and have greater upsides. Why go after a guy that has a lower ceiling and similar concerns rather than a guy with the same concerns and a higher ceiling?

I see your point but you can't talk about ceilings without discussing floors. The more polished players without the freakish athleticism usually have higher floors and are ready to contribute sooner. Would I take a higher floor player who had a lower ceiling than a guy like Hardy who also has injury concerns to boot?

Possibly, it depends on the prospect, and it depends on how he is projected to fit into the Pats system. Hardy could turn out to be a tremendous success, or also a tremendous bust who goes on to have an injury plagued career, never reaching his potential. Remind you of anybody? I think the point is pretty clear, don't just fall in love with a prospect's ceiling, you also have to examine its floor and foundation.

Last edited:
I see your point but you can't talk about ceilings without discussing floors. The more polished players without the freakish athleticism usually have higher floors and are ready to contribute sooner. Would I take a higher floor player who had a lower ceiling than a guy like Hardy who also has injury concerns to boot?

Possibly, it depends on the prospect, and it depends on how he is projected to fit into the Pats system. Hardy could turn out to be a tremendous success, or also a tremendous bust who goes on to have an injury plagued career, never reaching his potential. Remind you of anybody? I think the point is pretty clear, don't just fall in love with a prospect's ceiling, you also have to examine its floor and foundation.

I wasn't talking only about Hardy, I was referring to guys like Sapp, Kindle, Griffen, etc. but I agree with what you said and you make a valid point.

All in all, my point is that at this point I'd rather take a guy like Sapp than a guy like Misi.

I wasn't talking only about Hardy, I was referring to guys like Sapp, Kindle, Griffen, etc. but I agree with what you said and you make a valid point.

All in all, my point is that at this point I'd rather take a guy like Sapp than a guy like Misi.

I see Sapp and Misi as playing the same position in our defense, interchangable pieces. In my mind BB will go the guy that projects better against the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft