PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Line - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
bump
10 chars

I found something alerming about Ricky Sapp on Rotoworld. Don't know if this was mentioned before:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said on Monday's Path to the Draft program that Clemson DE Ricky Sapp will probably last until round three.
If so, it'd likely be due to concerns about Sapp's knee, in which he tore the ACL at the end of his junior season. When healthy, Sapp is widely considered a first-round talent and ideal fit for 3-4 teams as a rush linebacker. Sapp admitted at the Combine that he played his whole senior year at 60 percent.

Watching the video, the thought crossed my mind that Odrick in a regular draft would be a couple of places higher. The super studs McCoy and Suh cause a disruption in the Force. In a normal year a guy of Odrick's caliber would be long gone by #22. His versatility at the 4-3 or 3-4 and size and priority he gives to football are all good to excellent.

I've seen him personally disrupt other Big Ten offensive lines (except for Iowa's) the past two years.

And that Clemson NT, Cam Thomas, 6'3" 330, looks really quick and powerful, throwing around Matt Tennant of BC around like a ragdoll.

NFL Videos: Mayock top 5: DT

There's a lot of talent to this year's D-line. Heck, that Somaon guy from Cal, Tyson Alualu, reminds me a little of a beefier Teddy Bruschi, who, after all, was a D-lineman at Arizona where he set the NCAA sacking records.

Put him inside in obvious passing situations and he's our new Jarvis Green, as he seems to be explosive.

I really like this guy. He just seems suited to RDE in our system.

With his combination of size and strength, Carrington can be a real asset defending the run. He doesn’t necessarily do anything special in run defense but he’s very solid. He can hold the point of attack and rarely gets pushed backward. He keeps a good base, even against strong blockers (see Senior Bowl practices). Carrington always keeps his legs pumping to push a blocker back toward the ball carrier. Doesn’t need help to bring down a running back.
Size: There aren’t a lot of defensive ends with Carrington’s size. He has long arms and a strong frame. What’s scary is that he could get even bigger. But as it stands right now, he has an NFL body.

With guys like Oghabaase and Carrington likely being available in the 2nd-3rd rounds, taking Odrick at 22 is starting to look like poor value.

With guys like Oghabaase and Carrington likely being available in the 2nd-3rd rounds, taking Odrick at 22 is starting to look like poor value.

Yep, I'd prefer to trade #22 down and grab Carrington in the 2nd round.

Oghobaase should be avail. later than the 2nd/3rd round. 4th or 5th is where he deserves to go.

Thanks for the response Box O Rocks. I swear listening to you is better then most sources on the internet about the draft. Odrck, Carrington and Arthur Jones look like they are clearly a cut above everyone else on that list. I think we need to walk away from this draft with one of these guys.

Do you think Wooten could convert to 3-4 OLB? He has experience dropping into coverage and hes definitely big enough at 270 to play elephant. My only worries would be athleticism, quickness, and agility on the outside. He can set the edge and hes good at rushing the passer but is he quick or fast enough to play outside?

By the way thanks for recommending Misi. I am absolutely sold on this guy after watching a few highlights and reading scouting reports. For the value in 2nd rd we could really walk away with the best fit for this defense. He is definitely a little raw but he has the talent, production, work ethic, and motor to become a great player.

I still love Brandon Graham too even though I know your not a big fan of him. Did you see his arm length was 32.5 inches? I believe many people said he had 30.5 inch arms. He also ran a solid 4.69. It looks like he might go before 22 anyways but I still like him. Only worry with me is coverage after not seeing him in the drills at the combine. I still say he becomes a good NFL starter in any system.

Koa Misi looks like trash, he had a whopping 5 sacks his senior season and those came against schools like Wyoming and Colorado State...

Nawa'akoa Misi Stats, News, Photos - Utah Utes - NCAA College Football - ESPN

Run defense: Explosive coming off the edge if untouched, flexible enough to chase down backs. Lacks the bulk to play end on early downs at the next level, but is strong enough as a linebacker on the edge to be an effective run stopper...

Koa Misi, Utah, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Really? Who isn't explosive off the edge untouched?

Last edited:
Koa Misi looks like trash, he had a whopping 5 sacks his senior season and those came against schools like Wyoming and Colorado State...

Nawa'akoa Misi Stats, News, Photos - Utah Utes - NCAA College Football - ESPN

Run defense: Explosive coming off the edge if untouched, flexible enough to chase down backs. Lacks the bulk to play end on early downs at the next level, but is strong enough as a linebacker on the edge to be an effective run stopper...

Koa Misi, Utah, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Really? Who isn't explosive off the edge untouched?

He might not be a great DE but we wouldn't be drafting him as one, the question is whether he'd make a good LB.

He might not be a great DE but we wouldn't be drafting him as one, the question is whether he'd make a good LB.

I know, but how many guys have went from a mediocre DE to a stud OLB? I just don't see it with this guy.

Last edited:
I know, but how many guys have went from a mediocre DE to a stud OLB? I just don't see it with this guy.
Define "stud?" Misi wasn't asked to pin his ears back and rush the passer, but when he did he was effective in terms of what NE expects from their OLBs. He played in a multiple front defense like NE uses, he might be a 3-tech on one play, DE on another, and OLB on a third, he dropped into shallow zones, covered RB/TEs, and when he rushed the passer he would still fight his way into the passing lane instead of quiting when blocked. He's the closest thing to Mike Vrabel in this draft - that's not to say he's another Mike Vrabel, but he's versatile enough and athletic enough to play all seven LB assignments (4-3/3-4) and smart enough to pick them up. Get his playing weight back up to 260-ish and like Vrabel he can slide in over the Center on passing downs, rush from DE or OLB, drop in coverage, and he's looked better against the run when I've seen him then I've been reading in various draft sites. Bear in mind I've watched him against SEC and PAC-10 opponents.

Define "stud?" Misi wasn't asked to pin his ears back and rush the passer, but when he did he was effective in terms of what NE expects from their OLBs. He played in a multiple front defense like NE uses, he might be a 3-tech on one play, DE on another, and OLB on a third, he dropped into shallow zones, covered RB/TEs, and when he rushed the passer he would still fight his way into the passing lane instead of quiting when blocked. He's the closest thing to Mike Vrabel in this draft - that's not to say he's another Mike Vrabel, but he's versatile enough and athletic enough to play all seven LB assignments (4-3/3-4) and smart enough to pick them up. Get his playing weight back up to 260-ish and like Vrabel he can slide in over the Center on passing downs, rush from DE or OLB, drop in coverage, and he's looked better against the run when I've seen him then I've been reading in various draft sites. Bear in mind I've watched him against SEC and PAC-10 opponents.

Holy cow! You're making this guy sound just like Connor Barwin. Did he play any TE last year? Does his picture look like Mike Vrabel's?

Holy cow! You're making this guy sound just like Connor Barwin. Did he play any TE last year? Does his picture look like Mike Vrabel's?
Here you go.

1142824.jpeg
MikeVrabel2.jpg

Last edited:
Box, I'm really interested in Misi. I've never seen him play, so would you mind filling me in on the points I look for?

How does his initial burst look coming off of the line? Does he replace his hand with his foot and accelerate rapidly into his rush?

Have you seen him check his rush? Does he plant well when doing this?

How is his technique vs a head up blocker when he's standing up? Does he retain leverage and get a full lockout?

Did they loop him at all? If so, does he look fluid or akward as he peels off his lane and into the inside gap?

Does he wade through trash well/find the ball like a heat seeking missle within a couple of yards?

Does he blow contain/bite on misdirection?

I know that's a lot to ask, but your eyes are keen and judgement sound. You're the best I know for getting a read on a player, and anything you way be able to give would be greatly appreciated.

Box, I'm really interested in Misi. I've never seen him play, so would you mind filling me in on the points I look for?

How does his initial burst look coming off of the line? Does he replace his hand with his foot and accelerate rapidly into his rush?

Have you seen him check his rush? Does he plant well when doing this?

How is his technique vs a head up blocker when he's standing up? Does he retain leverage and get a full lockout?

Did they loop him at all? If so, does he look fluid or akward as he peels off his lane and into the inside gap?

Does he wade through trash well/find the ball like a heat seeking missle within a couple of yards?

Does he blow contain/bite on misdirection?

I know that's a lot to ask, but your eyes are keen and judgement sound. You're the best I know for getting a read on a player, and anything you way be able to give would be greatly appreciated.

I am interested aswell because he had a field day Senior Bowl week making OT's look silly at times with his outside pressure.

I do not get too many Utah games up here in Canada ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back