PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Line - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liking the sound of Wooten in the third (assuming we have one to use). Drawing comparisons to Mr. Seymour is never a bad thing. :cool: Has anybody watched him that can give us a fan's eye perspective?

Last edited:
Liking the sound of Wooten in the third (assuming we have one to use). Drawing comparisons to Mr. Seymour is never a bad thing. :cool: Has anybody watched him that can give us a fan's eye perspective?
I've seen him at 4-3 DE, so it's hard to project him completely. He's got excellent length, he looked pretty good in the bowl game against Auburn, though they were rotating him out a lot in their game plan. In their 2008 bowl game against Missouri where he hurt his knee his legs looked like Crables, all chicken, no meat. In the game against Auburn his legs and hips looked much stronger, he'd clearly used his rehab time to bulk up and get stronger. So far the profile write-ups all indicate he's a good default DE option if NE doesn't get Odrick.

Mayock says the Pat's biggest need is an edge rusher which should be filled in the draft or in FA.

Tackles to dominate early first round; Bryant a top-5 pick

"They need somebody who can rush the quarterback, and I think that's got to be a priority. You've got to find an edge rusher who can get to the quarterback."

Mayock says the Pat's biggest need is an edge rusher which should be filled in the draft or in FA.

Tackles to dominate early first round; Bryant a top-5 pick

"They need somebody who can rush the quarterback, and I think that's got to be a priority. You've got to find an edge rusher who can get to the quarterback."
"I also wouldn't discount the fact that they need a wide receiver. Between Wes Welker's ACL and Randy Moss' age and contract situation, I think wide receiver comes into play a little bit with the second-round picks, and there's an awful lot of good receivers in the second round." :snob:

Uncapped year will be no bargain for the players - The Boston Globe
The NFL may be as pass-happy as it’s ever been, but that’s not hurting the value of defensive tackles. Nose tackles Vince Wilfork, Ryan Pickett, and Aubrayo Franklin have been franchised, a fourth would’ve been had Casey Hampton not reached a three-year extension, and defensive end Richard Seymour, who would play tackle in some systems, was given the exclusive tag. On top of that, the consensus top two prospects in the draft, Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, are defensive tackles. What gives? Well, to be creative in rush packages, teams have to get opponents in long-yardage situations, so while the aforementioned players may never put up big sack totals, they’ll always affect a defense’s ability to knock the quarterback around. “If a team can run on you, they’ll do it ad nauseam,’’ said Browns coach Eric Mangini. And if they do that, the opportunities for guys like Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen get cut down significantly.

"I also wouldn't discount the fact that they need a wide receiver. Between Wes Welker's ACL and Randy Moss' age and contract situation, I think wide receiver comes into play a little bit with the second-round picks, and there's an awful lot of good receivers in the second round." :snob:

Hey Box, Mayock also said the Pats should do exactly that! I posted it in the WR section.

Good call! :)

Hey Box, Mayock also said the Pats should do exactly that! I posted it in the WR section.

Good call! :)
I know, that was Mayock's quote from your link. :D

Here are my DE 5 technique rankings going into the draft (I am not putting Suh or Mccoy on this list because we cant/wont get them. I am also not including Dan Williams I think he is all NT. Carlos Dunlap I refuse to put on my board as well. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. He reminds me of Michael Johnson from GT last yr.)

1. Odrick
2. Carrington
3. Houston
4. A. Jones
5. Neal
6. Alualu
7. Worthington
8. Deadrick

Question: Is Torell Troup from UCF a DE or NT?

Late Round Sleeper: Corey Peters 6-3 295 first team all SEC.

Id like to hear Box of Rocks thoughts on this. I think we definitely take a DE in this draft. Also is Wooten too small for 3-4 DE? I assumed he was at 277 pounds but he is long at 6-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back