PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive End

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Why didn't Francis and Cunningham play? We have no DT backups worth keeping. It is hoped that a DE might be able to be able to backup at least some inside. So who do we keep? An argument can be made to cut almost anyone but Ninkovich, Jones and Buchanan.

LOCKS
Ninkovich, Jones, Buchanan

YES OR NO (keep 2-3)
Cunningham
Francis
Benard
Bequette

I don't know how healthy Cunningham is. I want to keep him if is healthy or will be so soon. I would be comfortable with cutting any of the rest.

My guess is that Bequette, Buchanan and Benard were out there last night competing for roster spots. Buchanan won.

The open question is whether Benard who has shown little is worthy of a roster spot.

Bequette seems to have earned another chance, since he is improving, and was picked high in the draft.

I think we keep 6 DEs:

1) Chandler Jones
2) Rob Ninkovich
3) Marcus Benard
4) Justin Francis
5) Michael Buchanan
6) Jake Bequette

* Jones and Ninkovich are the established starters, and could form an underrated tandem. Ninkovich has improved each year and Jones is primed to break out.

* With Cunningham injured all preseason, Benard has effectively taken his job.

* Francis has flashed at times, but overall hasn't been spectacular. I wouldn't be surprised if he is released, especially since he's injured at the moment.

* Buchanan put on a show last night, and I just think he's too good of a developmental prospect to risk on waivers.

* Bequette is an enigma. As much we we have written him off this preseason, he showed up last night. He's a 3rd round pick in his 2nd year. I think the team gives him 1 last chance.

I suspect that we might keep 7 DE's and put Cunningham on the IR (to return) list on Monday.

We can certainly go with 3 DT's and pick up one after we put Cunningham on IR.

Of course, we could simply cut Cunningham and expect to sign him when he is healthy.

Why didn't Francis and Cunningham play?

I know I have read that Cunningham has been injured, seen working with trainers rather than the rest of the team during media portions of recent practices. I assume Francis has been injured as well.

While neither is spectacular, what's the alternative? Personally I think we have seen enough from Cunningham to say that the ceiling is relatively low; why not roll the dice on another player (e.g., Benard, Francis) that potentially has more upside?

My own personal preference would be Jones/Ninkovich/Benard/Buchanan/Bequette.

At DT I'd keep Wilfork/Kelly/Forston/DT cut from some other team.

I think we keep

#1 Jones - duh
#2 Nink - duh
#3 Buchana - He is still raw but has the most pure talent besides Jones and flashed well
#4 Benard - They like him as a back up DE and the inside DT in a pass rush situation. Him staying means Cunningham goes
#5 Bequette - This last spot is about Francis vs Bequette and as the saying goes "you can't make the club from the tub". Bequette showed last night that he has 3rd round talent and I think they give him another year to see if he can develop.

Also FYI... Benard just got cut... so shows what I know. (Yes it happened just after I finished but I won't change it!)

Why didn't Francis and Cunningham play? We have no DT backups worth keeping. It is hoped that a DE might be able to be able to backup at least some inside. So who do we keep? An argument can be made to cut almost anyone but Ninkovich, Jones and Buchanan.

LOCKS
Ninkovich, Jones, Buchanan

YES OR NO (keep 2-3)
Cunningham
Francis
Benard
Bequette

I don't know how healthy Cunningham is. I want to keep him if is healthy or will be so soon. I would be comfortable with cutting any of the rest.

My guess is that Bequette, Buchanan and Benard were out there last night competing for roster spots. Buchanan won.

The open question is whether Benard who has shown little is worthy of a roster spot.

Bequette seems to have earned another chance, since he is improving, and was picked high in the draft.

Do you really think someone can win a job based on an almost useless pre season game? I personally don't think Belichick needs any of these games to shape his roster.

If Benard is gone, Cunningham is in.

We still could keep Bequette, Francis or both.

I guess that means sub out Benard for Cunningham on all the charts. I don't think it effects the Bequette vs Francis deal though.

Do you really think someone can win a job based on an almost useless pre season game? I personally don't think Belichick needs any of these games to shape his roster.

Another question is who besides Jones/Nink/Buchanan has shown they deserves to stay over Bequette.

I think what Bequette did last night is show the flashes of talent and upside we have not seen much of. He showed his ceiling is higher than Francis & Cunningham (when he is not a HGH anyway). They may be enough reason to keep him.

If Benard is gone, Cunningham is in.

We still could keep Bequette, Francis or both.

It is possible we keep both but if we keep Cunningham (which I assume we are) I don't find it likely. I don't see this team carrying 6 DEs.

You're probably right. One developmental DE on the roster is enough. The other player would likely pass waivers and be on the Practice Squad.

It is possible we keep both but if we keep Cunningham (which I assume we are) I don't find it likely. I don't see this team carrying 6 DEs.

Marvin Lewis on Hard Knocks said players earned preseason game snaps in practice and made the team in the preseason games.

I imagine its similar for every team.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back