PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive End

I actually liked Cunningham's play from the DT spot when the opposing offense went light and noticed it in the preseason last year. I'll certainly have my eyes open to performances like these the first couple of preseason games. With what appears to be an ubundance of DE/OLB players while the DT position is light, it makes me wonder if we'll see a "race horse" front seven at times other than just 3rd and long. But these formations I suspect will be game plan specific so ultimately, the guys after Jones/Ninko will need to show their value on special teams to separate themselves.

Cunningham has been the team's 3rd DE this whole offseason. He's a lock to make the team no matter how much some here dislike him.

Most likely seems to be Benard, Cunningham and Bequette. I think most here would prefer Buchanan to Cunningham. It is very hard to see how Buchanan would represent more 2013 value

When the problem is depth, perhaps it is right to err on the side of keeping the veteran.

Defensive Ends:

Starters
Rob Ninkovich
Chandler Jones

Competition (by contract status)
Marcus Benard versus Jermaine Cunningham
Jake Bequette versus Justin Francis
Michael Buchanan versus Jason Vega

Official Website of the New England Patriots | Team - Players

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriots we want to see more of - espnBoston

Defensive end Marcus Benard
The five-year veteran from Jackson State is a relative unknown who has flashed some explosion in one-on-one drills. He entered the NFL in 2009 as a rookie free agent with the Browns (then coached by former Patriots assistant Eric Mangini), spending half his rookie season on the practice squad before being promoted to the 53-man roster. Then, in 2010, he totaled 7.5 sacks before a hand injury limited him to four games in 2011 and he missed all of last season with an elbow injury. At 6-foot-2 and 260 pounds, he could be this year's Trevor Scott, a veteran depth option looking to rebound after injuries knocked him off course. He might have the quickest first step of any of the reserve pass-rushers that we've watched to this point. -- Mike Reiss

Defensive end Jake Bequette
A 2012 third-round draft choice who played 29 defensive snaps last season, Bequette is hopeful to find a role in the reserve rotation among the edge setters behind Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich. In early 1-on-1 rush drills, Bequette has looked fine, though he still needs to develop a counter move. If he isn’t beating the opposing tackle with his first step, he’s often finding himself swallowed up. Bequette will also have to contribute on special teams if he is going to stick around, and we’ve seen him work quite a bit on the core teams in camp. That was an area that he did not seem as actively involved in during last training camp, and could reflect improved athleticism after an offseason worth of training. He needs a good August to secure a spot on the 53-man roster. -- Field Yates

I was disapointed they didn't add much to the DE or DT depth this offseason.

I is pretty much:
Jones - Lots of potential... but potential is potential
Ninko - Pretty solid, better than average starter

53 other JAGS

It pretty much comes down to Jones emerging.

I would also have liked more. However, we added Kelly, Armstead, Benard, Vega and Buchanan.

I was disapointed they didn't add much to the DE or DT depth this offseason.

I is pretty much:
Jones - Lots of potential... but potential is potential
Ninko - Pretty solid, better than average starter

53 other JAGS

It pretty much comes down to Jones emerging.

Cunningham has been the team's 3rd DE this whole offseason. He's a lock to make the team no matter how much some here dislike him.

You may be right. His versatility certainly helps his cause. I believe that Reiss recently called him "the most versatile player on the line."

Of course talent and work ethic always come into play, so I'd definitely stop short of calling him a "lock," but I tend to think his chances are better than some are assuming. I'd personally have him at around a 60-65% chance myself.

Most likely seems to be Benard, Cunningham and Bequette. I think most here would prefer Buchanan to Cunningham. It is very hard to see how Buchanan would represent more 2013 value

When the problem is depth, perhaps it is right to err on the side of keeping the veteran.

Francis is ahead of Bequette in training camp reps this year and was ahead of him in games played last year 12 to 3 so it isn't most likely Bequette makes it over Francis.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back