PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defenses flopping, faking an injury to slow down offense (merged 8x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: No huddle offense...defensive flopping

R3DpM.gif
Humm, I guess it gives new meaning to using dum-dum ammo.

Just a question..can the nfl change a rule when a season is in progress? Can the rule to keep a "hurt" player out of an entire series be implemented right now, or does it have to wait until next season?

You do realize this would have cost the Pats 3 points just before the half last week? I don't like this idea particularly.

When considering rule changes, etc. I try to avoid any argument or discussion that revolves around how it would have hurt or helped a specific team on specific instance, but instead of the overall merits.

Also I wasn't saying that I necessarily supported such a rule change, just that it would solve the problem.

The best solution I've seen here was the one that would force the 'injured' defender out of the game until the next change of possession or timeout. If he's truly injured, this is a non-penalty anyhow. It would only really penalize the faker, or a player with a superficial injury he could quickly come back from. It's a lot like the soccer rule where the injured player has to stay off until the next play stoppage. In football, that would equate to a change in possession or timeout.

The problem with this is that players do get dinging up. A defender who ought come out of the game when injured on the first play of a drive when the ball is on the 20 yard line (with 80 yards to go) might try to play on a seriously sprain injury instead of getting it looked at as he should.

What do you guys think influences the flopping more, defensive players being gassed or them realizing they will not stop the offense with the personnel they have on the field?

Does Brady go no huddle when he sees a specific thing about the defense he knows he can exploit or is it based on just wearing down the guys on the field?

field?

I would love to see how the defenses look personnel wise after these recent flopping incidents.

this is nothing new.

willie employed this tactic years ago, as we all know.

and last year in the postseason, bart scott and a few other jets defenders went down multiple times with "injuries" on several patriots offensive possessions, only to return to the game or even shown on camera smiling after "hobbling" off the playing field.

i'll be interested to see how the league deals with this soccer-esque stratagem that is making national headlines following the mnf game.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OT:Reggie Bush said the Saints have faked injuries

Don't see what the big deal is. I'm willing to bet that every team in the NFL instructs players on how/when to fake injuries. It sucks, and should be removed from the game, but until there's a suitable punishment for it (remains to be seen how this recent memo will be enforced), it's going to happen.

Last edited:

Former Giants LB said Fewell teaches it too. If anyone is surprised by this I'd be pretty shocked. This is nothing new, and in my opinion, something that you can't penalize or fine.

Best solution I see is to force injured players to sit out the entire series, this way if you want to fake injuries you're either forced to lose an important player, or you are intentionally putting a 2nd or 3rd string player in knowing he will fake something, either way your defense won't play with its best personnel if you want to fake this kind of thing.

I'm not one to wish an injury on someone, but, I do hope that karma catches up to some of these guys if there is such a thing.

Last edited:

Willie McGinest did it in that 03 regular season game at Indy. They had our defense on the ropes. He goes down. Out for a play. Comes back and maybe makes the play of the year on 4th down. If he is out for the rest of the series. Maybe we lose that game. Home field advantage to Indy and they beat us in AFCCG. Just sayin

there was a pretty obvious one in the superbowl right before manning threw the pick 6. Who cares though? Its common knowledge that everyone does this, bush is just trying to get press any way he can.

Don't see what the big deal is. I'm willing to bet that every team in the NFL instructs players on how/when to fake injuries. It sucks, and should be removed from the game, but until there's a suitable punishment for it (remains to be seen how this recent memo will be enforced), it's going to happen.

there was a pretty obvious one in the superbowl right before manning threw the pick 6. Who cares though? Its common knowledge that everyone does this, bush is just trying to get press any way he can.

if this was posted on a jets forum pretty sure those s###heads would have made a big issue of this......
Just like taping(spygate) fakin an injury is what everyone does...giants were the ones caught doing it ......dejavu!!!

I think faking injuries (like the giants did) is inherently wrong and unsportsmanlike. (2 guys dropping like rocks after walking around before hand; immediately after a coach yells something into the mic.)

that said, if a guy is totally blown (winded) and the only way for him to get off the field in time (because other team is running no-huddle); would you consider his laying down as in essence due to injury?

whichever way you view the above; you still have the problem of policing. I dont think removing a player for a series is appropriate although at first thought it was a good idea.

I think the better way to attack enforcement is to consider that the laying down team is essentially trying to get a FREE TIMEOUT. So why not charge them a TO or Delay of game penalty?

I also liked the idea of giving the D 5 or 10 sec after the last Off sub hits the field to make adjustments by having ref stand over football. But ONLY IF the O subs. Then the no-huddle Os could counter by just not subbing. then both sides get a fair shake.

In other news........ Water is wet.......... I repeat WATER IS WET. :D

Charging the TO or delay of game 5 yds means that the ref has devined intent and the injury was bogus. Not possible. Too subjective. Simply let that one "injured" player and one player alone be substituted and that player is OUT for the remainder of the drive. The HC can at his option negate this by electing to use a TO, if he has one.

Next problem...

if this was posted on a jets forum pretty sure those s###heads would have made a big issue of this......
Just like taping(spygate) fakin an injury is what everyone does...giants were the ones caught doing it ......dejavu!!!

Actually their fans don't really care and acknowledge that their team used it against us in the playoffs. It's not illegal, even if it is cheap.

Charging the TO or delay of game 5 yds means that the ref has devined intent and the injury was bogus. Not possible. Too subjective. Simply let that one "injured" player and one player alone be substituted and that player is OUT for the remainder of the drive. The HC can at his option negate this by electing to use a TO, if he has one.

Next problem...

This is reasonable...... It would be a reasonable deterrence to have them sit for the remainder of the drive..... or the next first down, or some longer period then one play, but still not an unreasonable period of time.

Actually their fans don't really care and acknowledge that their team used it against us in the playoffs. It's not illegal, even if it is cheap.

It IS illegal. See Goodell memo which threatens loss of draft picks if violated.
However, the former NY Jets employee now NFL Commissioner is silent on this issue.

That's because JI is comprised of the dumbest group of human beings I've ever seen congregate in a single place. Doesn't change the facts of this issue :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents