PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defenses flopping, faking an injury to slow down offense (merged 8x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:Reggie Bush said the Saints have faked injuries

Charging the TO or delay of game 5 yds means that the ref has devined intent and the injury was bogus. Not possible. Too subjective. Simply let that one "injured" player and one player alone be substituted and that player is OUT for the remainder of the drive. The HC can at his option negate this by electing to use a TO, if he has one.

Next problem...

Not so fast my friend. Don't you get a timeout if player can't get off of the field in last 2 minutes? What's the diff??

It IS illegal. See Goodell memo which threatens loss of draft picks if violated.
However, the former NY Jets employee now NFL Commissioner is silent on this issue.

It's "illegal" now. Prove someone is faking an injury to me. This is a "rule" that will never be enforced. I can point out someone laying on the ground who I believe is faking an injury, I can't prove he is in pain without getting in his head.

This is all posturing and will ultimately do nothing. Faking injuries is part of the game, I don't support it and think it is bad for the game, but like I said, you can't prove it unless the player admits he faked it.

You can't fine somebody 3 or 4 days after he goes down either, what if he just had a cramp, fake or not, there will be no long lasting signs.

The solution is to force players who go down to sit out the entire series, it forces the defense to make a decision, lose a starter for the series, or pre-position a 2nd or 3rd stringer to take the fall which gimps your defense ahead of time.

Edit: Or it forces you to just deal with the no huddle and find creative ways to stop it, creativity IS good for the game.

Last edited:

It's "illegal" now. Prove someone is faking an injury to me.

Unless an official sees bone, the player walks off or his team is forced to take a timeout.

Unless an official sees bone, the player walks off or his team is forced to take a timeout.

I think losing a TO should still only happen during 2 minute drills. Pats and Chargers would have been out of time outs for the next 3 weeks in the first quarter last Sunday with real injuries. If a player goes down make him sit out the entire series.

Did Parcels throw the Patriots under the Bus yesterday?

Yesterday I was watching the pregame shows and they were talking about
players faking injuries.

Parcels then said that he knows of a team that during the playoffs had a script on how to fake that their headsets were not working. He said that all week they prepared for the game as if head sets were not going to be used.

When the game started, they faked that their head sets did not work.
The other team who was not prepared for no headsets, had to take theirs
off, because the other team claimed theirs did not work.

There is a NFL rule, that if headsets do not work for one team, the other
team has to take them off.

Any doubt.... He was talking about the Pats?????

Re: Did Parcels throw the Patriots under the Bus yesterday?

think he meant the 49ers?

He was talking about the 49ERS.

Who cares what Bill Parcells says? I remember a team preparing for the Super Bowl in the mid 1990s whose head coach was negotiating a contract with another team. It was such a distraction his team lost and then he blamed the owner for not being allowed to shop for the groceries. Bill Parcells went on to never win anything again. Now he's an old coot making up stories about head sets. Go away, Bill Parcells. Just go away.

Bill Parcells wrote the book on the headsets. he always pulled that.:eek: I even remember a game where the other team "had " a problem with thier headsets and Bill " graciously" said he would take his off also......:rolleyes: The man is a cunning Devil.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back